Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SHL that destroyed my life

Blog Entries

Ed makes a great point. Doc has tended to corrupt many threads with his vituperous antics and I'm one of those who's let that occur again.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Oh Kenji 'you let it happen'. You basically told him the doc missed it but what he really needs to do is grow a pair or head for the nearest VA and check out the 19yo with no legs getting fitted up. Maybe he would realize how lucky he is.

A mild point Doc is based upon the style of writing is He may be a She, but the rest may be spot on.

Blog Entries

It isn't the doctor missed it. Try a reading comprehension clinic. You think it insignificant when he suffered intense vertigo, nausea, and a hearing loss? Having been that route, I tried to give him a little reassurance. I've discussed Meniere's with my ENT and he said it is mostly misdiagnosed but the symptoms are broad and can address a number of issues. He considers only one doctor in the entire Chicago area capable of diagnosing true Meniere's. Often a neurologist can help which appears to have been the case from his having the VNG.

I mentioned that briefly earlier with Meniere's often being more a collection of symptoms associated with the disease which doesn't have a true treatment regime. I asked him about his WRS scores to try to get an idea of the depth of the problem.

At no time did I recommend any treatment.

Maybe you need to be the one growing accoutrements or trying a pre-Altzheimer screening.

Best wishes from the "Daft Dodger" -- a condition it appears we share.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by extraoriginal View Post
    At the beginning doctors suspected Meniere's Disease but then it was excluded by too deep hearing loss. Moreover, my dizziness disappeard completely after 3 weeks of taking medicines. I haven't got them anymore since then. The VNG and hearing test result showed the inner ear damage what caused dizziness and all the stuff. But what is the most interesting, MRI result said that my hearing nerve is ok, but a few times a day I've got something like electric impulses (?) in my head.. They appear when I am tired (or during waking up) and then I swallow or hear sudden loud noise... Very weird, the ENT doctor doesn't know what I am talking about.
    I would visit to a neurologist. If your brain is producing electrical anomalies, a neurologist is the type of doc you want to examine you. I have hearing loss due to a brain illness earlier this year. My hearing loss came quickly. I too took steroids right away and maybe that is why my hearing loss is only moderate.

When I first got tinnitus (along with my hearing loss) I thought my attic fan was turning on because I didn't know why I was hearing a constant buzzing. It wasn't until I heard the buzzing outside that I realized it was in my head. It has gotten better with hearing aids. It doesn't distract me while at work. I have two young kids and a noisy dog so there are no quiet moments at my home where tinnitus creeps up on me. I have learned to ignore it for the most part. Sometimes if it does bother me, I play nature sounds on my phone for a few mins. Their is an app from resound you can download for free - resound relief.

You're only 19-20. Don't let hearing loss and tinnitus disable you. I can understand the anxiety you feel about starting school again. I was out from work for 3 months due to my illness. When it became time to go back, I was worried about how my hearing loss would affect my job. Luckily it has had very little impact. I got my hearing aids adjusted to help with some situations I was having trouble with. And I use a streamer for phone use at work. You might have to attend class and see what is your biggest struggle. Could a mic be clipped onto your professor to get the sound in your hearing aids, etc. I spent all that time worrying for nothing. Use the tools available to you to overcome your hearing impairment - hearing aids are probably a good starting point.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 06-22-2016 at 05:56 PM.

my voice also sounds funny without my hearing aids. With the aids on, it sounds much more natural.

Blog Entries

Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Quote Originally Posted by extraoriginal View Post
    freq dB
    125 25
    250 25
    500 35
    1K 40
    2K 60
    4K 70
    8K 75

About your audiogram above, is that for both ears? Both ears the same?

If so, hearing aids can help this, tinnitus gets easier to deal with, usually, as long as the level doesn't increase, so you may be able to work through this and be much better in a few months. But, it will mean dealing with the loss and, eventually, putting it behind you.

Hearing loss, like any loss, involves some grieving over what you have lost. That's normal but you will go through all the steps of grief. After the grief, and after you get hearing aids, and after the period of time it takes for your brain to consider the sounds through the hearing aids as normal (a few months), you will be able to continue a happy and successful life. It will be up to you to take each one of these things and put them in their proper place at the proper time, and eventually put them behind you.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

Blog Entries

We should be here to help not belittle each other.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

10. Default

Just curious does speech/hearing take 6 month or more to improve for new HA user?