Thread: Earlens Hearing Aids - thoughts?

1. Default Earlens Hearing Aids - thoughts?

I'm unilaterally implanted (Cochlear) and I've been looking for a hearing aid for my unaided ear quite a while now. I have profound sensorineural hearing loss (ski slope) and hearing aids obviously can't help me much, but they do provide me with a number of benefits and help complement my CI by amplifying the sounds that need amplification. I've tried HAs from Phonak and GN Resound, and I was gunning for the latter because of the brand's wireless compatibility with Cochlear's processors. However, I am somewhat unsatisfied with conventional hearing aids because the CI has set a personal benchmark for hearing that HAs simply cannot match. I completely understand that this is an unfair comparison to make. Having said that, I'm interested in the light-driven HA from Earlens (http://earlens.com) because the new technology shows a lot of promise, and also claims to eliminate many of the issues that plague conventional hearing aid, like feedback and whistling. The company also claims that the sound quality perceived through the Earlens system far exceeds that of conventional hearing aids.

The biggest drawback for me here is the lack of wireless compatibility with my CI, but this is something I am willing to sacrifice if the sound quality really is that much better. I am no expert, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new tech.

Cheers

earlens.JPG

I thought I just replied but it doesn't look like I was successful. Bsmith8, I was trying to find out about the cost of this new technology. It sounds really interesting to me. It doesn't look like it's bluetooth compatible so unless it made an amazing difference to my hearing, that would be an issue. I wish someone who has tried these were available to talk with. Have you given them a trial and what do they cost (rough estimate). Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
    I thought I just replied but it doesn't look like I was successful. Bsmith8, I was trying to find out about the cost of this new technology. It sounds really interesting to me. It doesn't look like it's bluetooth compatible so unless it made an amazing difference to my hearing, that would be an issue. I wish someone who has tried these were available to talk with. Have you given them a trial and what do they cost (rough estimate). Thanks.
    Hi Shirley, you have a similiar loss diagram and I wondered what kind of aids you had most success with....
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

4. Default

My understanding is this: the Earlens system is Bluetooth enabled, it uses the 'made for iPhone' hearing aid compatibility. I'm trying to get a demo of the Earlens devices and will report my findings if that happens.