Thread: My Sudden Hearing Loss

Default My Sudden Hearing Loss

I've been contributing to this board since April and the interactions with other members have helped me tremendously throughout my hearing loss.

Late January 2016 I started acting strange and irrational. My wife asked me to move my car in the driveway since I was blocking her from leaving for work. This set me off as I was suffering from the onset of viral encephalitis. I ended up storming out and driving away. I never showed up at work that day. My boss called and no answer. Eventually my boss called my wife wondering if I was okay. Shortly thereafter the police called my wife. I had been involved in a minor accident. When the police officer asked me for my drivers license I gave him a compact disk. Luckily he realized I was suffering a medical emergency and he called the paramedics. I was taken to the ER where I ended up in intensive care.

Encephalitis is a rare form of brain swelling that I believe came about from an ear infection I caught from my youngest daughter. Somehow the infection spread to my brain causing confusion and basically utter lunacy. I ended up in ICU for several days and had a brain biopsy to confirm my diagnosis. I was put on 60mg of prednisone right away to control the brain swelling. When I was released from the hospital I could barely walk and my cognitive functions were poor. I wasn't hearing well, but it didn't really sink in.

I saw an ent in early March after my other symptoms started subsiding. At this point all I really knew was that I was having trouble hearing my soft spoken father in law. I figured I just had some wax build up that needed to be cleaned out. I also kept hearing a buzzing sound and figured the attic fan was busted and just kept turning on. When I went to the ent he did a tuning fork test. I heard nothing. He then referred me for a hearing test. After the hearing test, the ent said I needed binaural hearing aids. I was shocked, but didn't mind too much after all I incorrectly assumed hearing aids would give me normal hearing again.

Well from that point on I have been wearing hearing aids since the end of March this year. I learned I have a low frequency loss and have done a lot of research to get the most of my hearing aids. Hearing aids when programmed properly for my loss do help a lot. My current struggle as I mentioned on another thread is hearing some male voices who are on a cell phone.

Since I'm still relatively new to hearing loss I am still figuring out how to best cope with it. I believe I am close to the acceptance phase of grief. I am 32 so I figure to be in the working world for another 30-35 years. Regaining lost confidence is still a work in progress, but I'm optimistic that I can still function well in both my professional and personal life despite a hearing loss.
    Last edited by Abarsanti; 08-26-2016 at 01:35 PM.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    55 55 50 10 60 25
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    55 60 45 15 20 10

Word Recognition, 60% at 70 db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 1/2/17>