Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAHA, CI, Which one? Audi has me confused!

1. Default

Hi, all! So, a few things:

I haven't maxed out my aids, but so far, no matter how much we turn them up or adjust them, they just sound awful. So, the seeking of alternative hearing sources.

I'm proudly deaf and wouldn't want any surgery that would suddenly make me hearing, so that's off the table. I had a CT can two days ago, and I see my doctor again on Tuesday, so we'll see what the CT shows and move forward from there. I told him my first option would be CI, but CI is his last option, so we'll have to talk more about that. I didn't guess during the WR test this time, and got scores of about 54% and 45%. I qualify for CI, but also for Baha, on my insurance, so we'll just have to talk to talk to my doctor about it more. We'll see.

My doctor did recommend stapes surgery, by the way, but I told him flat out that it wasn't something I was interested in.

Blog Entries

The stapes surgery is a out-patient operation. We have people here that are thrilled with the great results. Review your decision.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Think you might find that few ENTs would go straight to the CI option when a stapedectomy and decent aids would resolve most of your problem I would wonder about insurance paying for a CI when a stapedectomywould resolve your problem.

Last edited by Doc Jake; 09-10-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StarKidJupiter View Post
    My doctor did recommend stapes surgery, by the way, but I told him flat out that it wasn't something I was interested in.
    Then your options are two other surgeries that are more serious and difficult. Implanting mechanical devices that are going to sound mechanical, that you can't try out ahead of time and even see if you like them, and you're going to be told you have to get used to them, because you'll have no other choice and you're stuck with it. If for some reason they screw it up...you're stuck with that too.
    Freq - 250 -- 500 - 750 - 1k -- 1.5 --- 2k -- 3k --- 4k --- 6k -- 8k
    --R --- 105 - 105 - 105 - 120 - 120 - 120 - 105 - 105 - 120 - 105
    --L ---- 75 --- 95 --- 90 -- 90 -- 85 --- 80 - 105 - 100 - 100 -- 95

SRT R 100 L95
    WD R 0% L 84%

unmasked bone
    Freq - 500 - 1K - 2K - 4K
    ---R -- 40 - 55 - 75 - 75
    ---L -- 35 - 50 - 75 - 75

Your insurance may cover both a cochlear implant and BAHA, but that doesn't mean those procedures are suitable for your hearing loss. It seems the doctor told you stapes surgery is the procedure which would address your situation. A cochlear implant is not going to help a stapes problem.

Placing a cochlear implant is a surgical procedure too, you know.

I really think you should take pains to understand what the doctor is recommending and what the procedure entails. It won't hurt you to know the facts. Could a friend or family member go with you to the next appointment to take notes and make sure he has explained everything? It frustrates me no end when I go to someone about my hearing and I can't hear all they say. It's also hard for me to take in all they're saying when I'm nervous about what what they're saying. Taking someone with you may help you get more out of the appointment.

Are you saying you want to have a severe hearing problem? If that's what you want, you've already achieved your goal.
    Freq: Right Left
    250 40 60
    500 50 65
    1000 50 60
    2000 45 45
    4000 65 70
    8000 9070

Right: SRT=50 dB, WRS 92% at 70 dB
    Left: SRT=60 dB, WRS 80% at 80 dB

Had stapedotomy on left ear in May, 2015. Prior to that had a severe/profound loss across all frequencies in my left ear.

Widex220

I believe he heard them but doesnt agree with them. IMO a surgeon is not going to do a procedure that could get him in front of the hospital or state medical board. Not to mention your malpractice suit if it doesnt work out for.

Quote Originally Posted by StarKidJupiter View Post
    Hi, all! So, a few things:

I haven't maxed out my aids, but so far, no matter how much we turn them up or adjust them, they just sound awful. So, the seeking of alternative hearing sources.

I'm proudly deaf and wouldn't want any surgery that would suddenly make me hearing, so that's off the table. I had a CT can two days ago, and I see my doctor again on Tuesday, so we'll see what the CT shows and move forward from there. I told him my first option would be CI, but CI is his last option, so we'll have to talk more about that. I didn't guess during the WR test this time, and got scores of about 54% and 45%. I qualify for CI, but also for Baha, on my insurance, so we'll just have to talk to talk to my doctor about it more. We'll see.

Then, quite frankly, you're being a moron about it.

CI surgery is huge, BAHA is ok, but has a continuous infection potential - and both involve large ungainly processors/batteries etc. Your ears can recover several hundred times in sensitivity from the Stapedectomy option, don't be stupid about it.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Can anyone be this stupid or are they just jerking the forums chain...

Yes to both