Thread: Phonak Naida Q 90-SP

1. Default Phonak Naida Q 90-SP

I bought two of these last December. Though very good to start with the sound became what I can only call strident and uncomfortable to listen to. The audiologist insists that the performance of these aids cannot vary with time and can only be altered using the equipment she has. I am thus left with two aids whose performance is so strident that I cannot tolerate them and have reverted to my old HNS ones. Has anyone had a similar experience with these aids?

Why don't you get her to adjust them for you? And/or to re-test your hearing?
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

That will be the auto acclimatisation on the aids. It just needs tuning down so that the final value is a bit lower and resetting so you get another chance to adjust to the level.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Default

She has retested my hearing and readjusted the aids three times and the strident tone remains. There must be an answer but she cannot find it. My next move will be a strong complaint to Boots Audiology HQ in the hope that they are sufficiently interested to do something - such as programming two new same model aids and seeing if they exhibit the same faults.

5. Default

Please forgive my delayed reply - hospital. Would you be kind enough to explain what auto acclimatisation is? And is it something with which my audiologist ought to be conversant?

6. Default

Have you replaced the earhook and tubing? The damper inside the hook can become clogged and affect the sound quality.

Blog Entries

Starting to wear aids is a shock. Typical is to set them softer than what's called for. In the past, you'd visit and get them turned louder. Auto acclimatization does it automatically from the program in measured steps.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Mincatel2 View Post
    Please forgive my delayed reply - hospital. Would you be kind enough to explain what auto acclimatisation is? And is it something with which my audiologist ought to be conversant?
    It's a method that starts aids on a lower prescription and gradually over weeks brings up the level of your hearing.

Anybody programming them should be aware of it.

It also seems like they aren't doing a R.E.M. to check the level the hearing aids are putting out.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content

I turned them down the moment I left the Audi. Office. Probably was in shock from all the new sounds and my own voice booming thru the Mics. I like them better at a lower volume, set to the point that I can hear without straining.
    i will increase bit by bit as I get acclaimed.