Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Clearing ears makes me hear high frequencies amazingly good in one ear?

  1. #1

    Default Clearing ears makes me hear high frequencies amazingly good in one ear?

    So first of all, I know that clearing your ears too much can make your eardrum go weak if you do it for a long time. I had my hearing tested on this a while ago, and luckily I didnt have any issues with pressure and the Eustachiustube. My left ear is my 'bad' ear for higher frequencies (over 10k). However, when I clear my ears I hear frequencies for some reason I wasnt able to hear before for a while with my left ear, and then after a few minutes it becomes bad again (and I can hear it 'close' again). Is this a sign that the haircell nerves that perceive the high freqs are still somewhat intact, but that the problem is some air/pressure-related issue in my left ear? Might be a bit nonsense-question but I work in the musicbusiness professionaly and every frequency counts.

  2. Default

    Yes. It is a sign that something is going on in the middle ear.

    Mind you, you probably will lose those pitches over 10kHz as you get older. Best make peace with that now.

  3. #3

    Default

    This might be a really stupid question, but what do you mean by "clearing" your ears?
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Yes. It is a sign that something is going on in the middle ear.

    Mind you, you probably will lose those pitches over 10kHz as you get older. Best make peace with that now.
    The strange thing is that my Eustachian tube got tested at the ENT (through a process called tympano metry I believe) and they said it was ok. I did see a diagram of my ear (something like this :http://redeyespy.blogspot.nl/2011/11...panometry.html) I dont know if it would help if I would post that of my ear and someone can give me some more information?
    In any case my ENT told me my earpressure was alright so..


    And yeah Im aware of the last t, hearing gets worse by the age naturally. I just hope that wont happen in a long time or when it does happen, I would not mind if I wouldnt notice it and if I can keep enjoying music

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    This might be a really stupid question, but what do you mean by "clearing" your ears?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_clearing

    Its putting 2 fingers on your nose and you breath so that the air is forced to go through your ears.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    This might be a really stupid question, but what do you mean by "clearing" your ears?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_clearing

    Its putting 2 fingers on your nose and you breath so that the air is forced to go through your ears.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neoking View Post
    The strange thing is that my Eustachian tube got tested at the ENT (through a process called tympano metry I believe) and they said it was ok. I did see a diagram of my ear (something like this :http://redeyespy.blogspot.nl/2011/11...panometry.html) I dont know if it would help if I would post that of my ear and someone can give me some more information?
    In any case my ENT told me my earpressure was alright so..


    And yeah Im aware of the last t, hearing gets worse by the age naturally. I just hope that wont happen in a long time or when it does happen, I would not mind if I wouldnt notice it and if I can keep enjoying music
    Very mild middle ear dysfunction doesnít always show up with tympanometry, so if you had a bad cold a few months ago or if you have allergies it can take a while to clear out.

    That being said, are you listening to external noises, or your own noises? When the Eustachian tube is open, you will hear sounds differently but more particularly your own sounds differently. People with patulous Eustachian tube often report hearing their own voices more loudly, or the sounds of touching their head more loudly. If your Eustachian tube stays open for a little while after you do the valsalva manoeuvre, you may hear things differently during that time. Thatís pretty normal.

    If you want to protect your hearing, use hearing protection in noise, eat well, exercise, donít smoke. All the same stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •