Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oticon OPN - does it live up to the hype ?

Default Oticon OPN - does it live up to the hype ?

How that the dust has settled, does Oticon OPN live up to the hype about better understanding in noise ?

What is the consensus of opinion ?

Blog Entries

Isn't the real claim that they provided added comfort for the user -- translating to better understanding in general?
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Isn't the real claim that they provided added comfort for the user -- translating to better understanding in general?
    The claim, as I understood it, is that it does not rely on directional focus in groups, leaving all incoming signals as open. I don't think that means they are not and cannot be directional. But the claim was that it leads to better understanding in noise. I believe they said 30% better understanding over the previous model - Alta Pro.
    Last edited by glucas; 10-13-2016 at 08:04 AM.

I'm planning on trialing them soon so I'll let you know after I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Petbug View Post
    I'm planning on trialing them soon so I'll let you know after I do.
    Ok - thanks. Look forward to the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by glucas View Post
    How that the dust has settled, does Oticon OPN live up to the hype about better understanding in noise ?

What is the consensus of opinion ?
    One of the things I can tell you after wearing these for nearly 3 months is the non-directional speech-in-noise is good in theory, but in practice there are some issues. Since they amplify all speech, they don't determine who I am speaking with. At my office, I sit across the cubicle from one person who might be on the phone and while I'm trying to converse with someone else I'm getting both voices amplified. With directional aids, I believe they amplify what you're looking at. So in theory it's nice to not have to look at someone precisely to focus on their voice but, I find that the OPNs are amplifying voices I'm not speaking with and this adds to my struggle with speech-in-noise. Also at work if the copy machine/printer is going, I cannot converse with someone sitting near it so they're not exactly filtering out those extraneous noises. Since I wear open domes, this may be the noise of the copy machine just getting in naturally so not necessarily the aids' fault. Unfortunately with my low frequency hearing loss, if I don't use open domes/molds, I don't get the natural mid and high frequencies that I hear well. So I would think that someone wearing a more closed mold or dome could probably answer this question better because open domes will allow for sounds to enter both naturally through the ear canal and also through the aids' receivers.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs as of 7/25/16
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    40 45 40 20 30 0
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    60 55 50 20 15 10

Word Recognition, 92% at 65db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 6/3/16>

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    One of the things I can tell you after wearing these for nearly 3 months is the non-directional speech-in-noise is good in theory, but in practice there are some issues. Since they amplify all speech, they don't determine who I am speaking with. At my office, I sit across the cubicle from one person who might be on the phone and while I'm trying to converse with someone else I'm getting both voices amplified. With directional aids, I believe they amplify what you're looking at. So in theory it's nice to not have to look at someone precisely to focus on their voice but, I find that the OPNs are amplifying voices I'm not speaking with and this adds to my struggle with speech-in-noise. Also at work if the copy machine/printer is going, I cannot converse with someone sitting near it so they're not exactly filtering out those extraneous noises. Since I wear open domes, this may be the noise of the copy machine just getting in naturally so not necessarily the aids' fault. Unfortunately with my low frequency hearing loss, if I don't use open domes/molds, I don't get the natural mid and high frequencies that I hear well. So I would think that someone wearing a more closed mold or dome could probably answer this question better because open domes will allow for sounds to enter both naturally through the ear canal and also through the aids' receivers.
    cheers for that feedback. On the last point you make, it goes to show that the HA manufacturers haven't worked out yet what is actually speech V ambient noise. There are all kinds of claims, but a Phonak rep that I met a couple of years ago admitted that can't yet determine, from an incoming signal, what is speech and what is not. On the first point, I guess that means that directionality still has it's uses, even if Oticon are going down this open signal route.

8. Default

I've had mine for almost 3 mo. The only issue is I hear everyone in crowd at same volume. Although I am able to understand and follow the conversations. My audiologist created a setting for one on one conversations and that seems to be better. I haven't asked a single soul during this time to repeat themselves. So I don't know what the hype has been but I will never give these up.
    Last edited by Michael_C; 10-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_C View Post
    I've had mine for almost 3 mo. The only issue is I hear everyone in crowd at same volume. Although I am able to understand and follow the conversations. My audiologist created a setting for one on one conversations and that seems to be better. I haven't asked a single soul during this time to repeat themselves. So I don't know what the hype has been but I will never give these up.
    Interesting. Thanks. What were your previous aids ? Did you have more difficulty with them ?

You can also check hearingtracker.com. They have hearing aid reviews there. There are 11 user reviews for the OPNs.