Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oticon OPN - does it live up to the hype ?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TPChapman View Post
    In my opinion, the Opn1 has better overall sound quality. The Opn2 sound was somewhat muffled. This is probably due to my severe high frequency loss and the Opn1's better high frequency coverage.
    Thanks for the input!

I think all 3 levels offer the same frequency range coverage and amplification. It looks like the differences, according to their website, is in the area of rapid noise reduction, sound localization, speech clarity and automatic setting based on personalized preferences.

But it's not like it's 3 different HAs where the cheaper version cost them less to make. It's the same HA but they dumb down/cripple certain functionalities/capabilities so they can sell for less money but would allow them to expand their market share thanks to the lower cost options.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

LOL! What an inspiring transformation - SO glad the Opns are working out for you! I also kept my Opns after my trial ended, but have a couple issues: the size 85 receiver in my LEFT ear (which is capped with a Widex power dome size LARGE), leaves a red mark inside my ear cup that has now turned to a small sore after a long day's wearing them. Luckily, I just switched to my old Oticon Agil Pro hard-case ITEs today. But it does concern me a bit as I need the power of the larger receiver AND the snugger fit of the large dome (my right aid has a medium-sized dome, but I never use the phone on that side).

Also - maybe my brain is like SLOW and DUMB, but even in Program 2 for noisy env'ts I still find it incredibly difficult with my new Opns to distinguish ordinary speech in a loud setting. If I'm standing in line at Costco, Trader Joe's or some noisy store, it is dang difficult for me to understand what the cashier is even saying - no kidding! By contrast, putting my old Agil Pros into Program 2 for noisy env'ts seems to work SUPERB. Oh well. I'm going to live with this for now, but I do wonder what all the hullaballoo is about with Oticon's so-called speech processing yada yada? I may be the exception to the rule ... or maybe not. Whatever they've got going on in these new aids, it ain't workin' to my satisfaction.

I DO have to put in a hearty "HAIL CEASAR!" to the TV streamer. OWIE that device works absolutely fabulous! I end up translating quick-speak to my hubs when we're watching "Top Gear" or some of the PBS programs, LOL. For that alone, these Opns are worth it.

==============

Quote Originally Posted by TPChapman View Post
    My Oticon Opn trial ended yesterday. During the trial, I tried Opn1 and Opn2 HA's. For me, the Opn1 worked best. The Opn2 HA's were good. However, I could tell a difference in the Opn1 and Opn2, so I ended up purchasing the Opn1 HA's.

I am hearing things I have never heard before. For example, I thought my truck's blinkers made a single tone when operating. I now know they make two distinct sounds. I had no idea electric clocks ticked. My voice sounds different and I feel like I am yelling. Conversations are much easier now. I feel much more relaxed during business meetings.

I am very happy.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE Trial (11/16)

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Also - maybe my brain is like SLOW and DUMB, but even in Program 2 for noisy env'ts I still find it incredibly difficult with my new Opns to distinguish ordinary speech in a loud setting. If I'm standing in line at Costco, Trader Joe's or some noisy store, it is dang difficult for me to understand what the cashier is even saying - no kidding! By contrast, putting my old Agil Pros into Program 2 for noisy env'ts seems to work SUPERB. Oh well. I'm going to live with this for now, but I do wonder what all the hullaballoo is about with Oticon's so-called speech processing yada yada? I may be the exception to the rule ... or maybe not. Whatever they've got going on in these new aids, it ain't workin' to my satisfaction.
    That's my feeling originally, 1Bluejay, in the first month of wearing my OPN. The noise was overwhelming in noisy environments and it was hard to focus on anything else and I really disliked having to put up with all the noises. But at the end of the second month now, it's working out better for me. The noise is still there, but not overwhelming to me anymore. And as it bothers me less, I'm learning to focus more on what I want to hear, and I can hear what I want to hear better over time.

So I think the BrainHearing part is the other half of the equation that Oticon expects YOU as the patient to bring to the table to complement the other half that Oticon delivers, which is the OPN HA. They're making a bet that everybody has that inert ability in their brain to process the sounds in order to hear them effectively. They group these abilities as the ability to recognize, orient, separate and focus. So they designed the OPN around this reliance on BrainHearing, and while you can still use the OPN without the BrainHearing part on your end, the OPN will become much more effective, especially in noisy environments, when you've had a chance and time to sharpen your BrainHearing proficiency over time.

Don't worry about your brain being slow and dumb when it comes to BrainHearing, because they're not. They've been able to do it before when you still had normal hearing, and they can do it again. They might have gotten more used to the old lazy way of listening through the old HAs all these years, where noise is removed and you get to hear a single sound source out in front without interference. So now your brain will just need to get retrained and back in shape to become accustomed to the "normal" way of hearing things again.

The speed of readjustment may be different for everyone, depending on their age. But if you keep a positive attitude and embrace the fact that your can now hear EVERYTHING again, instead of being unhappy that you HAVE to hear EVERYTHING again, I think this acceptance of the noise, instead of being bothered by the noise, will go a long way in retraining the brain to tune out the noise eventually.

Don't expect the OPN to "remove" the noise altogether for you like with the traditional HAs because it doesn't. What it actually does is "clean up" the noise from the speech to make the speech more clear. But your brain will need to do the work to tune out the noise, separate multiple sounds apart, and focus on the speech. And when your brain does this, the OPN will help deliver a "cleaner" speech for you. That's why many people say the OPN gives them clearer speech. I think this is why TPChapman could tell that the Opn2 has a somewhat more muffled sound compared to the Opn1. Apparently his BrainHearing is already in good enough shape to recognize this difference!
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-07-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

4. Default

I just had the noise filter set to medium and reduce noise by 5 dB, it was set to low and only 3dB 1st. I like medium and 5 dB alot better. there's still high and 9dB to go, which you could add to a second programm with directionality...
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's feedback on the Opn's. I've never worn HA's before, and have put this off for far too long, to the point where I'm having significant difficulty at work and in meetings. (Been putting this off for almost two decades; in my 30's now.)

I'm scheduled to receive my Opn1's on January 16th, and I'm hopeful that they perform as well for me as they have for some of you. The many threads on this forum, including those specific to the Opn's have helped me understand how they work and help me set realistic expectations. Thanks!

Question for those with the Opn's: Do you find having a 2nd program beneficial? Or does the automatic setting really work that well?

Having never had hearing aids, I haven't experienced the difference between forward-listening directionality vs open listening. Part of me is curious to compare, and part of me would rather have the option and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thoughts?

I guess background noise just kills my ability to understand speech to the point where I almost can't believe they could perform as well as some of you report they do.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L 75 (30) 80 (40) 80 (50) 90 (75) 75 70 (55) 80 85
    R 40 (5) 40 (15) 40 (10) 50 (50) 50 50 (45) 65 65
    (Bone conduction results in parenthesis.)

Blog Entries

It is part of the process to go over brands and such. The "secret" is that you need a good fitter. Consumer Reports studied this and found that 2/3rds of new aids were misprogrammed. It is the clinic used that contributes to your success as much as the brand chosen.

Directional mics are used to control noise better. In a loud bar or such, it helps to have an added program that is forward directional -- listening more to who you face. In other instance is is a hindrance and you want the aid to decide. An example of that is in the car when you wish to hear the person seated behind you. All brands try to accommodate this.

All the manufacturers update the hardware frequently -- roughly every two years. Hardware is very similar. Software has varied approaches and this can make one work better than another. But that only holds true for that individual.

Remember that the best possible aid at the moment is still dependent on the person setting up the prescription!
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dude12345 View Post
    Question for those with the Opn's: Do you find having a 2nd program beneficial? Or does the automatic setting really work that well?

Having never had hearing aids, I haven't experienced the difference between forward-listening directionality vs open listening. Part of me is curious to compare, and part of me would rather have the option and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Thoughts?

I guess background noise just kills my ability to understand speech to the point where I almost can't believe they could perform as well as some of you report they do.
    I currently have 3 programs on my OPNs, 1 for default, 2 for max noise reduction, and 3 for directional, just to see if there's much difference between them. I can't really tell much difference between them and most of the times I'm in the default program 1 anyway. On the next visit I'm going to ask the audi to remove all but the default program. That's how well I think the automatic setting work.

But if you like to have multiple programs and you can tell the difference between them, then the OPN will allow you to store up to 4 programs anyway. So I''d suggest you try out up to 4 programs first and decide for yourself what to keep and what to ditch. The OPN does have the forward listening directionality feature so if you haven't gotten to try it before, I'd definitely recommend you try it as one of the programs for yourself just to see what it's all about.

As for the background noise killing your speech understanding, hopefully the rapid noise reduction to clean up speech feature on the OPN will clean up the speech enough to your liking. You'll just have to find out for yourself. I think that is the claim to fame of the OPN, being open to all sounds, yet still be able to clean up clearly defined speech.

Since you haven't worn HAs before, I think you'll transition more easily to the OPN than some of the users who transition from a more traditional directional HA to the OPN (like myself), because your BrainHearing ability is probably still much sharper than those whose BrainHearing ability has become more rusty due to being used to the traditional directional HAs.

8. Default

that's what I like about the OPN, they hardly have any fitting options so those fitting nuts can't screw up the hardware, and they do screw up the hardware alot, had 3 fitters so far.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

The only other program I find useful is for music where the program bumps the bass way up for me. I usually leave it on autopilot otherwise.
    Tony
    ---------------------
    Oticon OPNs as of 7/25/16
    Previously: Bernafon Juna 9s with Soundgate 3
    ----------------------
    40 45 40 20 30 0
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    60 55 50 20 15 10

Word Recognition, 92% at 65db (left), 96% at 65db (right)
    <Tested 6/3/16>

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    The only other program I find useful is for music where the program bumps the bass way up for me. I usually leave it on autopilot otherwise.
    I notice that you have high loss at the lower frequencies, Tony. Basically what they call the reverse curve, right? So I can see why bumping up the bass way up for you would be helpful and makes sense via a second music program. Are you using the power domes?

Anyway, for most other folks with the regular curve (more high frequencies loss but less low frequency loss) like myself, we wear either open or closed dome but with a vent or two. So the low frequencies from the natural sound come through to the ear OK through the vents, so we don't need to boost up the bass from the HA, so the single default program is usually all we need to help boost up the highs.