Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried Gingko Biloba as a possible source for increasing hearing?

Default Has anyone tried Gingko Biloba as a possible source for increasing hearing?

So, Ive actually read on a wikipediapage that this Gingko has been proved in a study to increase hearing and also can help with Tinnitus (which I have in one ear).
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've read similar claims about acupuncture. Have no experience with either, but would like to hear others' experiences as well.

I heard and read this as well. I started taking these 2 weeks ago and so far notice no improvement.

It has been around for a long time. If it worked the drug companies would refine an active ingredient, give it a new name and make a fortune selling it. Hearing aids would drop drastically in price and be the inferior solution. I don't see that happening. Always check where Wikipedia sites as the source for its information to check the reliability of the source.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

Just flicked through the Wikipedia page and it does not make any such claims and refutes the one about tinnitus as unfounded.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

6. Default

It does nothing for tinnitus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23543524

Bought some but keep forgetting to take it ��

Drum roll, cymbal crash��

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by neoking View Post
    So, Ive actually read on a wikipediapage that this Gingko has been proved in a study to increase hearing and also can help with Tinnitus (which I have in one ear).
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I've been taking Ginkgo Biloba daily for over 30 years. I added it to my vitamin / supplement regimen back when I was in my mid 30's after reading an article about it being a herbal supplement to enhance memory and mental alertness by promoting brain function through healthy circulation and blood flow etc. I was a health nut at the time, biking and running marathons while at the same time my wife's family had several elder members dealing with Dementia and Alzheimer's. So we both started taking Ginkgo just to be on the safe side. Prior to reading your post I'd never heard of any claims that it could increase hearing or helping with Tinnitus.

Anyway... I suffer from hearing lost and Tinnitus. I started seeking help for Tinnitus when I was in my early 20's after 4 years of military service. The ringing in my ears was making me crazy. After several visits to the ear doctor and audiologists I was told it was due to years of exposure to jet engine noise during my military service ... and loud rock music as a kid. I was first diagnosed (informed of hearing loss) when in my mid 30's which was also blamed on improper hearing protection during my youth. While I'm happy to report my wife and I, (both pushing 70) are as still as sharp as ever mentally... I'm afraid my hearing loss has only continued to get worse from year to year. My last full blown hearing test was at age 61. I was told I should look into hearing aids. I was shocked and asked the audiologists "Is my hearing really that bad?" ... he responded... "I've tested 80 year old's with better hearing than you!"

I now have trouble understanding conversations and miss most spoken dialog on TV which is the reason I'm perusing this forum. NET: After 30 years of daily use I can personally say Ginkgo Biloba has done absolutely nothing for my Tinnitus nor to improve my hearing... or even keep it from declining.

9. Default

I'm pretty sure I also read a meta-analysis a while ago that looked at all the good quality studies that had been done on ginko biloba and only found a slightly increased risk of stroke.

It doesn't look to do much for cognition:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26058281

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
    I've been taking Ginkgo Biloba daily for over 30 years. I added it to my vitamin / supplement regimen back when I was in my mid 30's after reading an article about it being a herbal supplement to enhance memory and mental alertness by promoting brain function through healthy circulation and blood flow etc. I was a health nut at the time, biking and running marathons while at the same time my wife's family had several elder members dealing with Dementia and Alzheimer's. So we both started taking Ginkgo just to be on the safe side. Prior to reading your post I'd never heard of any claims that it could increase hearing or helping with Tinnitus.

Anyway... I suffer from hearing lost and Tinnitus. I started seeking help for Tinnitus when I was in my early 20's after 4 years of military service. The ringing in my ears was making me crazy. After several visits to the ear doctor and audiologists I was told it was due to years of exposure to jet engine noise during my military service ... and loud rock music as a kid. I was first diagnosed (informed of hearing loss) when in my mid 30's which was also blamed on improper hearing protection during my youth. While I'm happy to report my wife and I, (both pushing 70) are as still as sharp as ever mentally... I'm afraid my hearing loss has only continued to get worse from year to year. My last full blown hearing test was at age 61. I was told I should look into hearing aids. I was shocked and asked the audiologists "Is my hearing really that bad?" ... he responded... "I've tested 80 year old's with better hearing than you!"

I now have trouble understanding conversations and miss most spoken dialog on TV which is the reason I'm perusing this forum. NET: After 30 years of daily use I can personally say Ginkgo Biloba has done absolutely nothing for my Tinnitus nor to improve my hearing... or even keep it from declining.
    How much you take?
    125 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 5 5 20 25 40 45 50 45 50
    R 5 10 25 45 55 65 65 60 65

Oticon OPN master race
    Sorry for my english