Thread: Hearing aid recommendation for bilateral sensorineural hearing loss - Mild to moderate

1. Default Hearing aid recommendation for bilateral sensorineural hearing loss - Mild to moderate

Hi Folks,

I went to bed one night with a fever in August of 2014 and woke up to bilateral sensorineural hearing loss slathered in tinnitus. Fast forward to the present, and I'm at the point where I'd like to give hearing aids a try.

Like a lot of people on the forum, I'm a big fan of music and surround sound home theater systems. I've gathered there's large degree of personal preference involved, so recommending one hearing aid above another is subjective.

I've seen some of the other wiz bang features geared towards the iPhone. Since I'm a fan of Android, I'm more inclined to lean more towards sound quality. I've also seen some advertise tinnitus relief with soothing nature sounds, but if they don't have prerecorded howler monkeys or Bavarian horse yodeling, it really doesn't seem worth it.

So far, the only hearing aid I've tried is the Siemens Pure 7 Primax. I won't go into detail, but for whatever reason, that's the only device that was offered. I've since made an appointment with a more flexible audiologist and hope to try out the ReSound Linx2 9. From what I've seen there are some others made by Starkey and Widex that are also rated well for music. Has any one compared any of these, and if so, what was your impression?

Thanks.

Right 5 10 10 20 35 40 40 40
    Left 10 5 15 10 30 25 30 45

[QUOTE=MikeInMaine;144283] if they don't have prerecorded howler monkeys or Bavarian horse yodeling, it really doesn't seem worth it.

Wow that got me laughing! I have cicadas all the time but I dont mind too much because I actually like the little buggers. Its just when you are trying to listen to something very small like alexander beetle that I get anoyed and sometimes tell my wife to get out the insect spray and.....then I remember...wait...never mind!
    You can find out about Alexander beetle on youtube if you are too young to remember. Cheers
    250..500..750..1k ...1k5.. 2k....3k...4k...6k...8k Freq. Hz
    18....1.....9......15....25.....45...75...70...65. ..80 left. dB-
    20....10...12....15....30.....40...70...75...70... 55 right. dB-

None so deaf as those who will not hear!

I have tried out the Resound Linx 2 961 and found them better for speech than for music. They sound rather harsh in comparison with the Phonak Audeo V 13 that sound more natural/subtile and give me less feedback when listening to music.

As I wanted allround HA I finally went for the Phonaks, but of course that's a personal thing
    JUL 2016 125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    Left 25 30 35 40 45 50 35
    Right 25 25 40 45 45 50 40

My opinion....Oticon Opn and Phonak B series first class. Resound distant third. Others long long way off.

What hearing "problems" are you trying to solve? What did you think of the Primax? Your audiogram is better than mine and hearing aids are optional for me unless I want to understand my daughter. For music/ television, I'd just get a nice set of wireless headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInMaine View Post
    Hi Folks,

I went to bed one night with a fever in August of 2014 and woke up to bilateral sensorineural hearing loss slathered in tinnitus. Fast forward to the present, and I'm at the point where I'd like to give hearing aids a try.

Like a lot of people on the forum, I'm a big fan of music and surround sound home theater systems. I've gathered there's large degree of personal preference involved, so recommending one hearing aid above another is subjective.

I've seen some of the other wiz bang features geared towards the iPhone. Since I'm a fan of Android, I'm more inclined to lean more towards sound quality. I've also seen some advertise tinnitus relief with soothing nature sounds, but if they don't have prerecorded howler monkeys or Bavarian horse yodeling, it really doesn't seem worth it.

So far, the only hearing aid I've tried is the Siemens Pure 7 Primax. I won't go into detail, but for whatever reason, that's the only device that was offered. I've since made an appointment with a more flexible audiologist and hope to try out the ReSound Linx2 9. From what I've seen there are some others made by Starkey and Widex that are also rated well for music. Has any one compared any of these, and if so, what was your impression?

Thanks.

Right 5 10 10 20 35 40 40 40
    Left 10 5 15 10 30 25 30 45
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

If that audiogram is correct why are you bothering with aids?