Thread: Analog for Wilderness Hikes.

1. Default Analog for Wilderness Hikes.

I am a backpacker and Hiker, and my digitals just don't stand up to the wet conditions I face when in the wilderness. So I am looking for a very POWERFUL analog BTE to wear when out in the wet boonies. No need to get high word recognition since I often hike alone, but I need to hear if a bear is snoofing around my camp at night. I want to use at least one BTE while sleeping at night in bear-problem areas. It would be great if I could find a pair of analog BTEs that were good enough for conversation too! Any suggestions? I am severe to profound. (Yes I did use the "waterproof" Rion years ago but they are costly and don't work for me anymore.)
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

31OCT2013Costco

Quote Originally Posted by georged193 View Post
    I am a backpacker and Hiker, and my digitals just don't stand up to the wet conditions I face when in the wilderness. So I am looking for a very POWERFUL analog BTE to wear when out in the wet boonies. No need to get high word recognition since I often hike alone, but I need to hear if a bear is snoofing around my camp at night. I want to use at least one BTE while sleeping at night in bear-problem areas. It would be great if I could find a pair of analog BTEs that were good enough for conversation too! Any suggestions? I am severe to profound. (Yes I did use the "waterproof" Rion years ago but they are costly and don't work for me anymore.)
    I can recommend the Siemens high power Lotus 12P BTE. You can buy them on ebay for under $200 and adjust them yourself using the trimmers. I have a severe loss and I have a pair that I used occasionally for music. Strictly speaking not analogue but music sounds like it used to when I wore analog aids.

Good luck.
    Last edited by glucas; 11-06-2016 at 10:42 AM.

3. Default

Yes, thanks for your excellent suggestion. I do have a pair of the Lotus 12P and they are fine for one ear, the other ear not so good. So I need even more powerful for that ear, and that would be the ear I would need to use while sleeping. Lloyds Hearing Co. wants to sell me a Siemens Phoenix 313 for a lot of money, but it looks about the same as the Lotus. So if anyone knows about the Phoenix 313 I would like to know your experiences with it.
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

31OCT2013Costco

Blog Entries

You might keep an eye on ebay for used Siemens Aquarius. They have new ones starting at $900. They are waterproof to the point you can swim with them on.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

5. Default

Yes I am aware of these. However, they are basically digital and expensive. So for backup in my case, I am going cheaper right now But thanks for this suggestion!
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

31OCT2013Costco

I use my first set of aids for this. They are early-generation digital -- Widex C9+. They are bombproof! I sweat a lot, too. They also seem to be more linear than my later aids, which is nice in the outdoors. I actually hadn't taken them out of the drawer for years -- a nice surprise!
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

Blog Entries

I just thought of Prairie Labs. They do repairs only through commercial shops but sell reconditioned aids to the public. Took a look and they have analog aids at $89/ea. Click on the above and you'll see a link to their reconditioned aids.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by georged193 View Post

Rather than spending the extra cash have you tried one of the Sweat bands with your current aids?

Such as (I am not a expert in this but for $25...):

http://www.harriscomm.com/hearing-ai...s-natural.html

(or something off of eBay)

- - - Updated - - -

as for the bears you will most likely smell them prior to seeing or hearing them.

9. Default

Heard of Sweat Bands. We are not talking about sweat protection for my needs. I think these sweat bands may work for hiking in humidity, but not for dashing about in a downpour. Plus the comments I have seen on them lead me to believe they are tight if properly worn. Never can decide which size to purchase, so I just gaive up on this option. I agree with you about bears...they do stink. But hearing helps me to locate them in the night, and tells me which way to aim the pebbles I keep nearby to toss at the critters in the dark. Thanks for your input.
    HZ.... Left.....Right
    250.. 60........70
    1K.....60........80
    2K.....80........85
    3K.....110......105
    4K.....110.......110

31OCT2013Costco