Thread: Resound Cala 8 and TV streaming

1. Default Resound Cala 8 and TV streaming

Had these for about a week from Costco and am pretty happy so far. My second pair and an improvement over my 5 year old phonaks. I asked the audiologist at Costco if I could get any type of bluetooth transmitter to stream from my tv to my iphone which is paired or if I had to use the Resound Streamer. He said only the Resound Streamer would work. Is this correct? I sure would rather pay $30 - $50 for a bluetooth transmitter from Amazon than pay for the Resound one and am just hoping he is misinformed. If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

It should work. I use the Indego BT transmitter w. the Resound Phone Ciip. Low latency and pairs easily. Any streamer should work with any decent transmitter. That is there purpose. If you have a problem, it's likely on the
    Transmitter end. Lot of so-so transmitters.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

3. Default

Thanks for your response. I'll give one a try.

Quote Originally Posted by susapasq View Post
    Thanks for your response. I'll give one a try.
    You would need a Phone Clip if you are using a BT transmitter. The BT transmitter would transmit to the Phone Clip and the Phone Clip transmits to your hearing aids. The Resound TV Transmitter transmits directly to your hearing aids and you do not need the Phone Clip for that. No BT transmitter transmits directly to your hearing aids.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

I bought an inexpensive ($30) /BT transmitter through Amazon. It's made by TaoTronics. I used it via my phone clip that came with my Cala 8's. It worked OK.....but there was noticeable latency when using it. ......especially when compared to the unit I bought when I got my HA's - the Resound TV Transmitter.

I bought the TaoTronics transmitter in hopes it would work with a second tv. Seems I have had to pair it frequently to use it.....and it's been a bit of a hassle to do this regularly. I also saw a Black Friday sale where TaoTronics advertised a better unit with low-latencey promised. The price was in the $30 range too. I did consider this......but question if the pairing is always going to be an issue.

I'm working out a way to keep the phone clip in my desk (and charging) so that its easier to pair to the transmitter. The latency is not such a big deal for watching football games and such....but it is not great for watching a news program and such where you see the person talking and his lips move about a second later.

The Resound TV Streamer works flawlessly. But it is expensive if you have multiple tv's.
    Foggy
    FR 250-500-1000-2000-3000-4000-8000
    L - 20 - 25 - 40 - 70 - 70 - 75 - 65
    R - 25 - 20 - 30 - 65 - 75 - 75 - 60

Resound Cala 8 / phone ciip / Multi Mike / TV Streamer 2 (10/16)
    Apple IPhone 6s

6. Default

Underwhelmed by the sound quality of the Resound TV streamer. Anyone have their living room looped and listening via T-coil? Any better?

Blog Entries

I can't say for certain. I use a BT transmitter to the phone clip. It does bias things heavily toward speech. It doesn't provide as much lows/very-highs as my sound bar. But when I tune into PBS and heavier accents are in a show, I have far greater understanding. If I had a music program installed, that might make it better but I listen mostly to voice biased programming. Now speech is still understandable with a music background.

I wouldn't think a loop would improve things. BT probably has greater fidelity. My thought is that loop would be like AM and BT like FM for music.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

8. Default

Is there a way to make this work in the living room with multiple people watching the same program but one guy wearing the hearing aids? I can't figure out how to use both BT transmitter and the sound-bar at the same time.

Blog Entries

If both are optical, get an optical splitter. If you can use RCA jacks, that can be used instead of optical. You cannot connect to the headphone jack as that disables the others. If your transmitter can only use the headphone jack, you need a different transmitter. But you could get an adopter to convert headphone to RCA.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +