Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some tip after OPN new firmware update

Default Some tip after OPN new firmware update

I had my OPN's updated with the new firmware last night. I ran into some issue with the Android version of the Oticon ON app that took a while for me to resolve so I thought I'd make a post here to share, to save somebody time in case they run into the same issue as I did after they have a firmware update.

Basically after the firmware update, for some reason my right OPN can connect to the ON app, but the left one can't. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but it didn't help. I was able to connect to the right OPN but not the left one still. Tried many different things like new batteries, restart the phone, reboot the OPNs several times, etc. The baffling part is that it could connect to one HA, just not the other.

Finally I went into the Bluetooth setting and unpaired the 2 OPN device icons on my Bluetooth paired list. This finally seems to do the trick. Hope this tip helps save somebody a lot of aggravation that I went through. It wasn't an obvious thing for me to do at the time.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

^^^ Ye GODS. I thought this ON app was a no-brainer! I doubt I would've been able to trouble-shoot this all the way through as you have done. Thanks for the info - good to refer back to. But I still hope I can bypass that app and just stumble along with my index finger, the button on my aids and .... LUCK.

Question: how did you know you needed the firmware update? Are you notified by anyone to do this from time to time?
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Question: how did you know you needed the firmware update? Are you notified by anyone to do this from time to time?
    I heard about it here on this forum. I then asked my audi and she asked Oticon and they didn't have it available for her until only recently.

As to whether I really needed this firmware update to fix up any particular issue I have or not, I've noticed random reboots on my OPNs that I hope this new firmware update will fix, but other than that I probably don't have any other reasons for needing the update except to have the latest version which is supposed to be better.

Also, Um Bongo (a poster on this forum who's a dispenser and had fitted several patients with the OPNs) mentioned in one of the threads that this is a "massive" firmware update (although no specifics were given), so I figured I would want to get the update anyway to save a lot of aggravations in case I happen to run into any issue that this update is supposed to have resolved.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 12-22-2016 at 12:12 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

Just had mine adjusted and now the left aid will no longer pair. Buyhear said they need to do a firmware update and will send me a demo set of OPNs for now. I tried all these steps you listed and no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    Just had mine adjusted and now the left aid will no longer pair. Buyhear said they need to do a firmware update and will send me a demo set of OPNs for now. I tried all these steps you listed and no luck.
    Just want some clarification here. Are you saying that the left HA no longer pairs and connect with your Android phone in the Android Oticon On app? Or are you saying it no longer pairs with the right HA (which is a more serious issue).

Also just to clarify, in my situation the issue of the left HA not connected to the Android phone via the ON app only happened AFTER I had the firmware update. Previous adjustments didn't affect it.

Anyway, it seems like unpairing and re-pairing the HA to the ON app worked to fix my issue. Unpairing here means you have to go the the Bluetooth setting in your Android setting, select the 2 icons representing the left and right HAs, and select "Unpair" to remove them from the Bluetooth paired devices list. Then you gotta scan and repair them again via the On app.

I have an iPhone. I unpaired them from the phone, but now only one aid at a time will pair to the phone. So I can use both aids, but I can only stream calls and media to one aid. Apparently it's a known issue and the firmware update is supposed to fix it. Kind of annoying bc after my last adjustment they are sounding better. I had a noisy Christmas Eve party today in poor acoustics and made out pretty good. Not perfect, but my expectations are more tempered now.

Quote Originally Posted by Abarsanti View Post
    I have an iPhone. I unpaired them from the phone, but now only one aid at a time will pair to the phone. So I can use both aids, but I can only stream calls and media to one aid. Apparently it's a known issue and the firmware update is supposed to fix it. Kind of annoying bc after my last adjustment they are sounding better. I had a noisy Christmas Eve party today in poor acoustics and made out pretty good. Not perfect, but my expectations are more tempered now.
    I see. Hopefully the firmware upgrade will fix your issue.

One little annoying thing is that after my firmware update, when I switch in between program modes, there's a short feedback screech on my right HA (the one for the worse ear) for a split second, but it goes away immediately. But still annoying enough for me. If you encounter such an issue, I'd like to hear about to compare notes. This never happened to me before the firmware upgrade.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 12-25-2016 at 12:25 AM.

Blog Entries

That is the feed back control kicking in when it encounters feedback. You might try a different dome size or go with a mold.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    That is the feed back control kicking in when it encounters feedback. You might try a different dome size or go with a mold.
    Yeah, I know, but what I'm saying is that it didn't happen before the firmware update and now it does. Changing yet to another dome size or a mold to mess around just because of a firmware update causing an minor issue is a little drastic to me. I'm pretty sure I already have the right size dome or I would have had feedback issue before the firmware update, too.

I think I'll just have my audi rerun the feedback control setup again next time I see her. I hope that whatever got shifted a little due to the firmware updated will be remedied by rerunning the feedback control. It'll be easy enough to verify anyway.

^^^ I hope your aud-gal will report this blip to Oticon. Now that I know of the upgrade available, it's on my list of things to ask for when I get in to see my aud-guy next week.

Having lived with an *occasionally* squeaky hard plastic mold on my Oticon Agil Pros for many years, I can SO empathize. Any kind of "nails-on-chalkboard" screech (however brief!) are just irksome. That is actually half the reason I'm pursuing BTE aids (or RIEs if you will) and the softer domes for better seal. You will hopefully fix this with a re-calibration of the feedback mgt? Good luck!
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>Epoq>AGXO ITE>Oticon Alta Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90