Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New test need interpretation and suggestions

Default New test need interpretation and suggestions

I had two tests in the short period of time done in different conditions, and my hearing felt different because of the cold I had during the previous test. Anyway what do you believe is the best course of action with this type of hearing loss? What would you suggest at this point? I never wore hearing aids and I do not look forward spending money on them but my hearing is becoming a problem in day to day activities. Thing that worries me is that it seems progressive and also not stable, it varies from day to day if that even makes sense.
    Freq Right Left
    250 50 50
    500 35 40
    1000 30 50
    2000 35 30
    4000 30 40
    8000 30 15
    Speech
    L 96% 70db PTA: 40db AI: 34.65% SRT 35
    R 92% 70db
    PTA: 33.3db AI: 58.42% SRT 30

Blog Entries

I think you need to see an ENT, if you haven't already. With results variable, you need to ascertain the cause. For speech purposes, your loss is in the mostly mild range. Your loss with speech should quite moderate; hence the need to see an ENT.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I saw ENT and she did not find anything unusual after a range of tests. They think it is genetic.

What are your ENT and audiologist recommending? It's kind of a judgement call. If you're having a difficult time understanding others, trying a pair of hearing aids seems reasonable.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Honestly they were a bit vague about it. They seem to believe it is reasonable to expect it will progress further anyway considering my age and how much it changed in the past year and a half. ENT explained that it is important to be able to hear as much as possible to preserve speech recognition in a long run if I understood that correctly. For me personally it is a struggle between cost and short term and long term benefit

OK, what I'm hearing is that hearing aids may be beneficial in that they can assist your brain to continue to be able process and make sense of certain sounds. You still have pretty decent word recognition scores: On reducing costs: 1) It may be possible to get a free trial from an audiologist, but it will probably only be for a few weeks. 2) Costco would cost at least $1695, but assuming you live in USA, you'd have up 6 months to decide if they were worth it. 3) You could consider buying used and trying self programming, but it is a considerable time commitment. Many people on the forum are big fans. Price is variable, but you'd be talking at least several hundred dollars in programming equipment and I'd guess $500-$1000 or more for hearing aids. My personal choice is Costco, but I know it's not for everybody. I guess there really is a 4th option. If your audiologist is understanding and willing to work with you, perhaps they could work with you to find used hearing aids, but I haven't heard of this happening.

Thank you!
    I was surprised that my word recognition was not done at regular speech level. I do not think my scores would be nearly as high if they did it at 55 or 60 db. How about some of those self programming hearing aids for 3rd world countries like Siemens Lotus? Do you think they are waste of money? Also I would not want to mess up something and cause more damage. Is that even possible?

I should have said this earlier, but I have no expertise in audiology. I am learning about this too. My understanding is that word recognition scores are done at anoise level that you consider comfortable. I see it as a way to assess how much hearing aids may help. If you have high scores (80%+?) there is more potential for hearing aids to help because the brain is still recognizing sounds. I don't know anything about the Siemens Lotus and don't know about doing yourself harm. I am skeptical. https://store.ihearmedical.com/devices.html From what I've read, the linked company seems like it might be reasonable to try, but it's still $700. At least you'd have the option of sending them back if you didn't like them.

Blog Entries

The Lotus was my first hearing aid. It helped. They do have a pretty good failure rate over time. I'd suggest trying one only to decide.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +

Visit my blog here for post that I think valuable -- especially new members.

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

are they suitable with my type of loss? how easy is to program them? Do you think they can still help me if my loss increases in time? I would not want to buy something that would last 6 months or a year.