Thread: Old ones work better

Default Old ones work better

I got a pair of Phonak aids from Costco in '15 and have been back a couple of times for a retest and to have them 'tweaked'. I've been having a problem hearing tv (not the volume, the speech seems muffled) and some voices. I have an appointment next week to have them 'tweaked' again. In the meantime, today I got out my old ReSound aids that I had before the 'new' ones and, lo and behold, I can hear a LOT better with the old ones. Voices on tv...speech...and I can again hear the 'clicking' of my keyboard. Here's hoping they can make the newer ones work as well as the old ones do. I'm a little bummed.
    250 R=25 L=10
    500 R=20 L=20
    1k R=30 L=30
    2k R=50 L=55
    4k R=75 L=60
    8k R=75 L=65

Bring in your old ones and ask them to verify them and then set your new ones up the same. Sounds like you need them to boost the high frequencies, and maybe increase compression a bit.

I've got an appointment next Wednesday. I hope they can make it happen.
    250 R=25 L=10
    500 R=20 L=20
    1k R=30 L=30
    2k R=50 L=55
    4k R=75 L=60
    8k R=75 L=65

Went in today with the old and newer ones. Since they're different manufacturers, she couldn't just move the program, so she did some 'tweaking' to the newer ones. I can hear my keyboard 'clacking' again, and I think the tv voices are better. I'll have to live with them a little while to tell for sure. Everything is louder, for sure.
    250 R=25 L=10
    500 R=20 L=20
    1k R=30 L=30
    2k R=50 L=55
    4k R=75 L=60
    8k R=75 L=65

Great advice Neville - exactly what I was thinking, too! :-) I went through a similar adjustment between my old Oticon Agil Pros (ca. 2013) and my new Oticon Opns. What I've read is that when you have an audiogram done, the results are basically a "ball park" figure of your actual hearing preferences. There has not been ONE time in all the 30 yrs I've bought & worn aids that I haven't had to go back for pretty significant adjustments that differ from how the aids were set up (based on my most recent audiogram).

I think that not only do we get USED to hearing sound a certain way (in terms of frequencies and volume) but over time our preferences can change, too! So always assume that buying a pair of aids & having them set up is a bit of rocket science combined with plain ol' fortitude to go back again and again till they sound how YOU want them to! Good luck getting the Phonak's as good as your ReSounds.

Also consider FIT. I just found with my new Opns that I needed a snugger FIT with a power dome in order to achieve a seal that would permit more gain. Tinker with this and that - like Gepetto would do on Pinocchio's ears!

Oh, and I see that Unpaidbill has just posted some degree of SUCCESS in today's tuning. Yep, Step 1 done, on to Step 2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    Bring in your old ones and ask them to verify them and then set your new ones up the same. Sounds like you need them to boost the high frequencies, and maybe increase compression a bit.
    Last edited by 1Bluejay; 12-28-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added a line
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by unpaidbill View Post
    Went in today with the old and newer ones. Since they're different manufacturers, she couldn't just move the program, so she did some 'tweaking' to the newer ones. I can hear my keyboard 'clacking' again, and I think the tv voices are better. I'll have to live with them a little while to tell for sure. Everything is louder, for sure.
    It's true that she cannot just move the programming over, but if she has no way of measuring what the old hearing aid is doing then she needs to get her act together and join the 21st century.