Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonak ha's detached from cord.

Default Phonak ha's detached from cord.

I received my HA's from the VA this summer after wearing Oticon HA's for 5 years. When they were being fitted and I was checking them out I remarked that compared to the old ones, these seemed and felt flimsy. I was assured that they held up well. The wire detached from the receiver this evening, and I plan to send them in to the VA for repair. I am wintering over 1000 miles from my Audiologist, but I'll alert her too.

Has anyone else had trouble with their wires coming out of the HA's receiver?
    Last edited by Steve97365; 12-24-2016 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Terminology

Can't you just stick the receiver back in the aid?

I'll try it again. It seemed like it wouldn't stay put though, and it doesn't work like the other does.

This HA has a hard plastic ear mold and the cord came out of the little part that fits in the mold.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97365 View Post
    This HA has a hard plastic ear mold and the cord came out of the little part that fits in the mold.
    I think you mean the receiver came out of the mold like this >>Oticon miniFit mold<<. It takes pressure to snap it back in and that pressure needs to be on the receiver and not on the more delicate wire. The Oticon miniFit tool shown in that link is made to apply the pressure correctly.

Let's call things by their correct names. The receiver is a speaker. Your receiver came out of your mold, correct?

Remove the wax filters before removing and reinserting receivers into the mold.

Maybe don't take your hearing aids off by yanking on the wire.
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"
    My Hidden Content , My Wife's Hidden Content

6. Default

Or did your wire break off of the receiver?
    Click >>Hidden Content << when your post count=10+ or Use Search for "self programming links"

The wire broke off of the receiver. Thanks for the links.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Steve97365 View Post
    The wire broke off of the receiver. Thanks for the links.
    Oh, then there is no way to fix this. Your need a new >>Phonak receiver<< and then the new receiver will need to be snapped into your mold. The wires are not delicate but they are not sturdy either so try to find another method of taking molds out of your ears other than pulling on the wires. I had custom molds but switched to domes and I remove the domes from my ears by pulling on the sturdy plastic retaining tail.
    Last edited by pvc; 12-24-2016 at 12:20 PM.

That's what I was afraid of. Sending them in for repair or replacement. The receiver was lodged in the mold so tight that I had to use a hemostat to get it out. Probably pulled too hard on the wire. Lesson learned the hard way! Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas too!

Hold on.. Are you saying you now have 2 pieces? The aid and the receiver. Generally a receiver in a mold isnt made to be removed. Call your VA AuD they will order the receiver have it sent to or them depending on the receiver and your confidence level. Depending on when you got the aids, less than 180 days ago, you can switch to Oticon or anything else.