Thread: Streaming from TV

Default Streaming from TV

I'm close to ordering Cala 8's - probably this week. So I've been reading as much in these forums as I can before making the commitment.

One thing that puzzles me is streaming from a TV (or I suppose a phone). I would have thought the general improvement from having HAs means that you hear the TV better, like you hear conversations better. So why do so many people stream TV shows? Is it something unique to TV, or is it just that the streaming is significantly better than the improvement you get from HAs?

Just curious; I'm hoping to keep things as simple as I can, and that HAs by themselves will be enough.

Bob
    R 10....10...05....15....45....45....55
    L 10....10...10....30....55....60....65
    WRS
    R-100%, L-84% at 50 dB; Cala 8

Blog Entries

Sound quality from the average TV is poor. 5.1 isn't as good as stereo for speech. Some soundbars have a clear speech feature that helps. Peoples loss differ as does the speech recognition.

Some do well with regular sound and others need the help of a streamer for understanding and greater comfort.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Having a streamer also means that you can watch in complete silence if you're not watching with anybody else, so you won't bother them. It's great if you're watching in the bedroom while your spouse is sleeping, for example.

You can also mute your HA's mic and enable only the streaming. That way if you have noisy appliances running nearby like a dishwasher or washer dryer, or an AC running, direct streaming with HA on mute tunes them out and they can't disturb you.

But like KenP said, listening to the TV sound directly from the TV speakers or your sound system's speaker may not sound as good as direct streaming. With direct streaming, the sound bypasses everything and goes directly through your HAs to the receivers, unchanged. Listening to a TV speaker or sound system means that the sound has to come out of the speakers (which can be poor quality, or lower volumes, etc), and also passing through and getting affected by the ambience of your room (which can be bad ambience depending on the room), mixing with all the external ambience noiises that are going on, before reaching your HAs' mics, which is yet another stage of conversion, before reaching your ears. By then it's not as pure and unadultrated as the direct streaming sound anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Having a streamer also means that you can watch in complete silence if you're not watching with anybody else, so you won't bother them. It's great if you're watching in the bedroom while your spouse is sleeping, for example.

You can also mute your HA's mic and enable only the streaming. That way if you have noisy appliances running nearby like a dishwasher or washer dryer, or an AC running, direct streaming with HA on mute tunes them out and they can't disturb you.

But like KenP said, listening to the TV sound directly from the TV speakers or your sound system's speaker may not sound as good as direct streaming. With direct streaming, the sound bypasses everything and goes directly through your HAs to the receivers, unchanged. Listening to a TV speaker or sound system means that the sound has to come out of the speakers (which can be poor quality, or lower volumes, etc), and also passing through and getting affected by the ambience of your room (which can be bad ambience depending on the room), mixing with all the external ambience noiises that are going on, before reaching your HAs' mics, which is yet another stage of conversion, before reaching your ears. By then it's not as pure and unadultrated as the direct streaming sound anymore.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Its my understanding that some of the newer TV's have Bluetooth? If so, what about using a pair of Bluetooth headphones?
    250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    R 50 55 50 45 60 70 100 80
    L 50 45 45 55 70 90 95 90

listening to a person is different than listening to a speaker. for some reason HAs don't pick up that tv speaker sound that clearly and a streamer is way better option to listen to tv.

- - - Updated - - -

listening to a person is different than listening to a speaker. for some reason HAs don't pick up that tv speaker sound that clearly and a streamer is way better option to listen to tv.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    Its my understanding that some of the newer TV's have Bluetooth? If so, what about using a pair of Bluetooth headphones?
    Sure, I think that'd be a great option if your TV has Bluetooth so you can use a pair of Bluetooth headphones. But the Bluetooth headphones may or may not work well depending on whether you wear BTE HAs instead of CIC HAs, and whether there's feedback issue with your HAs when you put on the Bluetooth headphones or not.

HAs that have the streamer kind you wear around your neck which supports Bluetooth, you can probably connect that streamer to your TV's bluetooth as well.

Then there are TV streamers that has a direct physical connection to your TV. If that's a transmitter, then the streamer you wear around your neck will act as a receiver and accepts the transmission and relay it to your HAs.

Then there are TV streamers that transmits directly to your HAs without needing a streamer worn around your neck to act as a receiver, like the new Oticon OPN TV Streamer 3.0.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100