Thread: Very rural and disgusted with Widex

Default Very rural and disgusted with Widex

I haven't posted here much but I do read pretty often. I'm in a very rural part of Texas ... rural enough that it's 150 miles to any sort of professional hearing services (no, Costco isn't any closer) so I'd really like to avoid the 5+ hours of round-trip driving for fitting and adjustments (I'm told to expect a number of adjustments given my cookie-bite loss). I'd considered something from AmericaHears but, honestly, they seem pretty behind the times, technology-wise. In reading here, I found out about BuyHear and they seemed like the best balance between up-to-date tech, ability to avoid 5+ hour round-trips for adjustments, and getting aids that can be moderately adjusted by the user. After talking to a BuyHear rep, it sounded like the Widex aids with, according to the rep, it's better iPhone app would be just what I want. Now I see this sticky on the board about Widex not honoring their own warranty if the aids don't include face-to-face fitting! What absolute BS! So Widex is telling us rural folks who don't want to make long drives for services that easily be performed remotely can just go f#%&-off? Seriously? Of course, the translation is "We want to keep charging exorbitant prices and feel that the best way to do that is to force you to buy from brick-and-mortar locations." Unbelievable. Completely disgusted with Widex.
    --
    TXMTN

- - 250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L - 25 - 35 - 50 - 65 -- 65 -- 65 -- 55 -- 40 -- 40 -- 40
    R - 35 - 35 - 45 - 55 -- 55 -- 55 -- 45 -- 40 -- 25 -- 35

2. Default

Can they do that though? They certainly couldn't in Australia. Interesting that you should mention America Hears. I've just ordered some aids from Blamey & Saunders. The aids are made by America Hears. People say that it's old technology. But really, who knows? Certainly they don't come out with new models every year and throw around a bunch of possibly meaningless buzzwords. I'd probably buy from BuyHear too if it wasn't for the lousy exchange rate and the fact that to claim from private health insurance I have to buy from an Australian audiologist. I agree with your complaint. Shouldn't be allowed. Definitely not for physical defects in the device.

May be a blessing in disguise to steer you toward the Oticon OPN option. The Oticon OPN is also made for iPhone with 2.4 GHz direct streaming just like the Widex Beyond. While you may think that the Widex iPhone app is better because it has more control, I think the Oticon OPN iPhone app is better because it doesn't need too much control. "Less is more" nowadays.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-01-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

seems like you won't get this over without having to compromise. The Audi I recently switched to, managed to give me a decent fit, that I haven't changed so far. Depending on your skills to express yourself and the way you get along with your audi these fittings might be only a few. So driving weekly a couple of times this long way sucks, but still you get what you want in the end. I too can recommend the opns, they are among the best aids out there.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Another thing that occurs to me is that even though you can't get the warranty for Widex from BuyHear.com, they still do offer you the 60-day money back guarantee. So at least you can still try it out with BuyHear so you'll at least know if you really want to buy it or not without having the do the trialing locally then decide you don't like it enough. Then all that traveling is wasted.

I know it's not fair to do this to BuyHear (use them for trialing the Widex then not do business with them). But you can take this approach: try out the Widex Beyond with BuyHear first, return before the 60 days is up, then try out the Oticon OPN next with BuyHear. If you like the OPN better than the Beyond, BuyHear earns your business. If you like the Beyond better than the OPN, then return the OPN to BuyHear and buy the Widex locally. At least this time you already know for sure you want the Widex before you have to make your 150 miles trip to a local place.

Yes, it's still not fair if BuyHear gets dumped in the end if you go with the Widex, but at least they have a real good shot of earning business with you on the OPN. They may be willing to bet that you may like the OPN better.

Have you asked BuyHear directly if they'll honor the Widex warranty on their own? After all, they're advertising 3 year warranty for Widex on their website, buying through THEM. So tell them that you saw a sticky here that says otherwise, and see what they say? If they say they're right and the sticky is wrong, then ask them to put in writing that they can process the Widex warranty claim for you themselves, or else they will provide their own warranty for you.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

Check out this link where the poster posted a review of 4 different HAs he tried out. Among them is the Widex Unique. I know it's not the same as the Widex Beyond, but maybe in terms of sound quality it's similar enough, although maybe lacking the "made for iPhone" features.

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...Update-1/page2

I have used various Widex HA over the last 15 years with the same Audiolgist until recently. I have a new one who tested my hearing and suggested the Starkey Halo 2 I2400 HAs because they are controlled by my iPhone. Long story short, I did not like them and requested that she order the Widex Beyond HAs. There was a misunderstanding and I was charged an additional $200 for programming and fitting for this second set of HAs. So my first point in doing business with any Hearing Aid provider is to be clear on all charges for trials and if needed charges for molds or custom tips and return policies. Secondly, if you are interested in two different brands of HAs, see if you can overlap the trial periods to get a better idea of which works best for you.