Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to all of this, need just a little advice

Blog Entries

It is easy to become enamored with the "new and improved" hype. The throw in "breakthrough technology" claims. However long you've been around this forum, you'll see the rise and fall of every brand.

In the end, choice is individual and subjective. We all reflect that. Everyone's hearing is different and those differing challenges puts every brand and level in play. I happen to like the aids I am wearing but still face certain hearing challenges. Is there a better choice out there? Maybe and always.

The best advice is to find an audiologist/fitter you think is trustworthy and ask for a free or very low cost trial to find out. The very finest aid in the hands of a lesser fitter won't be ask good as a different (lesser?) brand with a fitter that can make it dance.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    Opn2 is lower performance in rapid noise reduction, speech clarity, sound localization, and personalization (the ability to specify your preferences to have automated settings based on your preferences). But everything else should be the same,
    Very harsh comment. There is not much left in everything else ha ha.
    The research show that he difference is minute.
    I will quote: The combined laboratory and real-world outcomes in our research are consistent with the conclusion that when hearing aids are programmed, fit and fine-tuned using best-practice protocols, wearers similar to our participants will obtain essentially equivalent improvement in speech understanding and quality of life whether they use basic-level or premium-level feature technology

this is from
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4224118/
    250 - 500 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 4k - 8k
    L 25 - 30 - 45 - - 55 - 50 - 65 - 60
    R 25 - 30 - 50 - - 60 - 55 - 60 - 65

..SRT..WRS.......MCL..UCL..PTA..AI
    L 45...88%.80dB...80..100...41..20
    R 45...96%.80dB...80..100...45..19

KS 7 (Dec 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    But you brought up a good point. The Opn2 is $400 less than the Opn1, and the Opn3 is $1,000 less than the Opn1, per the Buyhear.com pricing. So you don't necessarily need to pay top dollars to get into one of the Opn products.
    Thanks for posting this. Perhaps I can negotiate the price with the audi by showing her the Buyhear.com pricing. :-)

I've been thinking about this some more and I suspect that the best way for me to arrive at a budget is to list all of the features available and then cross off the ones I feel that I don't need. Is that something you guys can help me with (the list building part, not the crossing off that obviously only I can do)?

Let's see, here are some features (using generic terms) that I know of. The ones marked with "yes" are those that I think I would use:

Binaural processing - yes
    high speed processing - yes
    internet connection - no
    bluetooth to devices like the tv - no
    smart phone programming controls (app) - yes
    background noise filtering - yes
    soft speech boost - yes
    wind noise suppression - no
    acoustic notifications - no
    remote control - no
    bass boost - no
    data logging - no
    feedback shield/prevention - yes
    telephone use optimization - no
    stereo input with streaming - no

What other features are there that I should consider?

That's a pretty decent list you came up with. One thing that I didn't see is directional microphones. One challenge is that many hearing aids, regardless of level have these features, but the more expensive hearing aids have a more advanced version. For example, more control over noise reduction. I'm not sure how useful this approach will be for you, but good to know that you don't care about bluetooth. Unfortunately many features are linked. The most recent versions of Resound, Oticon, Widex and Starkey have bluetooth in all levels. Oh another feature you didn't list was telecoil. It's old technology but can be useful if a venue is wired for it. A program for dealing with tinnitus is another feature. If you want that, it rules out Costco. I'd focus on how they help you hear more than anything.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Perhaps I can negotiate the price with the audi by showing her the Buyhear.com pricing. :-)

I've been thinking about this some more and I suspect that the best way for me to arrive at a budget is to list all of the features available and then cross off the ones I feel that I don't need. Is that something you guys can help me with (the list building part, not the crossing off that obviously only I can do)?

Let's see, here are some features (using generic terms) that I know of. The ones marked with "yes" are those that I think I would use:

Binaural processing - yes
    high speed processing - yes
    internet connection - no
    bluetooth to devices like the tv - no
    smart phone programming controls (app) - yes
    background noise filtering - yes
    soft speech boost - yes
    wind noise suppression - no
    acoustic notifications - no
    remote control - no
    bass boost - no
    data logging - no
    feedback shield/prevention - yes
    telephone use optimization - no
    stereo input with streaming - no

What other features are there that I should consider?
    While a "list" approach seems like a good idea, I'm not sure how practical it is because you don't get to cherry pick the features you want and leave out those you don't want. It's kinda like buying a car where you get all the features that come with package 1 or all that come with package 2, etc. You don't get to build up a customized list.

You still can do it, but at a much coarser level, like whether you care about wireless streaming or not. But if you want wireless streaming, you're probably going to get most of the streaming features, like from TV, from smart phone, with stereo, etc.

Then you gotta be aware of the brand and model of aids you're looking at and what it can do or wants to do for you. For example, background noise filtering on the Oticon OPN. Their marketing claims they have it but I didn't see any obvious evidence of it when I first wore it. Only after considerable research on my end to understand this claim did I realize that they indeed do noise reduction/filtering, but they do it in a very radically new and different way compared to how most other brands do it (or even compared to how THEY themselves did it in their previous models). So the question is what kind of noise filtering do YOU expect? Being a first time HA wearer, you probably wouldn't even know what to expect yourself because you never had any experience with HA before.

I think Ken P's advice to find a good audi and use their expertise to help you find an HA that's suitable to your budget and your requirements is probably the best approach. You can probably try to find the right one for yourself, but also take your audi's recommendation into consideration. The only issue is how do you know if you have a good audi in the first place...

I'm lucky that I found an audi who happens to HAs herself (just by chance). So not only is she the expert in the field, she actually has first hand experience with many different brands and models because the mfgs always try to get her to try out their HAs for herself because they knew that she's also a patient on top of being a dispenser. So when she very excitedly recommended the Oticon OPN to me to try out because she's wearing them herself, I assumed that she must have been onto something good worth trying out for myself.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jcwoman View Post
    3. The audiologist (from question 1) recommended to me these hearing aids: Oticon OPN or the Starkey Muse. I know you guys can't advise me on which to get because you don't know my diagnosis or financial status. I'm just wondering if you could guide me a little in a "buyer beware" kind of way... let me know if I should steer more toward the cheap or more toward the higher price, more toward one brand name versus another. Thoughts?

I will definitely continue to do my own research, but would like to hear your thoughts as well.
    On the Oticon OPN vs the Starkey Muse, check out this link http://www.hearingaidforums.com/show...latform/page20 where poster rkorzep in post #193 picked the OPN over the Muse. So if you're ever going down this path, you can PM this poster for more details on his/her decision.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Blog Entries

Or you can ask to listen to both brands and see if you find a preference. Both aids have people who love them over all others. Don't bog down in the minutia. Features on all aids are very similar. The software implemented and how your fitter adjust them can lead to success.

As to levels, if you have difficulty with noisy situation the intermediate grade and the top grade will give improvement. The middle grade has noise adjustments. The actual aids are physically identical. They just weaken features as they go down but the middle aids is often all many users need. Even the base level will give good results in most situations.

The trick is more about getting a good fitting from a fine fitter.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Pay attention that the majority of features is just a marketing talk
    250 - 500 - 1k - 1.5k - 2k - 4k - 8k
    L 25 - 30 - 45 - - 55 - 50 - 65 - 60
    R 25 - 30 - 50 - - 60 - 55 - 60 - 65

..SRT..WRS.......MCL..UCL..PTA..AI
    L 45...88%.80dB...80..100...41..20
    R 45...96%.80dB...80..100...45..19

KS 7 (Dec 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by nimailni View Post
    Pay attention that the majority of features is just a marketing talk

This is definitely a fear and I don't want to pay $$$ for that.

I'm also struggling with the "is my hearing loss bad enough to warrant hearing aids right now?" question. I've seen this (and done it) problem with people who need joint replacements and go for a long time in pain because they don't think their problem is bad enough. It's hard to tell when the right time for such things are. At least in that scenario you have pain levels as a gauge. With this, it's just that I need to ask people to repeat themselves on occasion.

There's really to know until you try some out. An advantage of getting hearing aids "early" vs "late" is that you preserve the brain's ability to make sense of sounds. People here could also probably give you feedback based on your audiogram. My apologies if you posted it and I missed it.
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40