Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: OPN with CROS/BiCROS like functionality?

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    I love the Beyond. I didn't fuss with BiCROS much except for a few moments in the office as she demo'd for me. I'm not near doubling my HA costs just to get a couple microphones on my bad side. I've spent almost 50 years without hearing in my left side, I'm used to it.
    I've been thinking about this myself. I wonder why mfgs who offer BiCROS support don't design just a bare bone HA that consist of just the mics and circuitry to send the audio and data over to the other side and skip all of the rest of the processing chips. This would be the right way to offer the functionality, instead of making the patient buy another complete HA where all the sound processing is not necessary and wasted.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I've been thinking about this myself. I wonder why mfgs who offer BiCROS support don't design just a bare bone HA that consist of just the mics and circuitry to send the audio and data over to the other side and skip all of the rest of the processing chips. This would be the right way to offer the functionality, instead of making the patient buy another complete HA where all the sound processing is not necessary and wasted.
    I think this is pretty much the definition of the CROS transmitter. Maybe what you meant was; it would be good if manufacturers added a feature to send the signal over in a normal aid.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideborg View Post
    I think this is pretty much the definition of the CROS transmitter. Maybe what you meant was; it would be good if manufacturers added a feature to send the signal over in a normal aid.
    I always assumed that the CROS feature is something added to the normal aid, so a normal aid has both a CROS transmitter and receiver on top of all the regular stuff. What I also don't know is whether the CROS transmitter sends over the fully processed sound to the normal aid, or whether it only sends unprocessed sound from the other ear to the normal side to be combined with the sound on the normal side before it gets processed by the aid on the normal side. If this is the case and the DSP circuitries of the deaf side are not utilized for sound processing, then maybe they can make a cheaper HA for the deaf side without the DSP circuitries to save on cost for that HA.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

    KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

    Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I always assumed that the CROS feature is something added to the normal aid, so a normal aid has both a CROS transmitter and receiver on top of all the regular stuff. What I also don't know is whether the CROS transmitter sends over the fully processed sound to the normal aid, or whether it only sends unprocessed sound from the other ear to the normal side to be combined with the sound on the normal side before it gets processed by the aid on the normal side. If this is the case and the DSP circuitries of the deaf side are not utilized for sound processing, then maybe they can make a cheaper HA for the deaf side without the DSP circuitries to save on cost for that HA.
    Phonak do this and save the extra device - the remote mic is just that.

    Widex use a pair of full blown units and pre-process the sound before transmission.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •