Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying out new HA. Please help!

1. Default Trying out new HA. Please help!

I have been wearing hearing aid since 2005. First pairs was Widex Senso CIC and second pair was Widex Mind CIC. I am currently trying out a 3rd pairs of HA as the one I am wearing is already 6 years old and I want to take advantage of the low deductible of the insurance I am having right now.

My audiologist recommended the Unitron Now. According to her, CIC was very limited in terms of programming. The RIC (I believe that's what it's called) could give her more flexibility in programming and the sound would be better. So I listened to her suggestion and tried out the Unitron Flexi: Trial since the end of October. Unfortunately, despite the sound being very natural, the speech was not clear. After adjusted 2-3 time, we thought to give Widex a try as I had been wearing Widex since the beginning. We ordered and got Wide Unique fitted. The sound quality was worse than Unitron. Speech was still not clear. Outside noise was super loud when driving making conversation inside the car impossible. The aid also had annoying whistling sound every couple minutes. I told my audiologist that I thought I like Unitron more but I doubt the Widex was programmed correctly. She said if I already like the sound of Unitron more, then why bother to keep working with the widex? So, I took the Unitron Flex: Trial back and gave it another try.. After several adjustments, I still couldn't get the speech clear. I basically couldn't participate in any group conversation with it.
    In last week's appointment, I questioned my audiologist the reason why I could hear better with the old hearing aid? Isn't new technology supposed to be better? She replied me saying that they are 2 different kind of digital technology. My ears just happened to accept the old one more. She said that she has attempted many adjustment already. If the speech is still not clear. then it's just how the HA works with my ears. She cannot make the speech any clearer. She's getting quite frustrated and even suggested me to just order another pairs of Windex MIND since I am doing good with it.

To me, it sounds kinda weird. Why should I ordered the same HA when there are new technology available? I asked if I can try out Uticon as I have read good things about it. She said she has never fitted one. She can fit it for me but she has to do some study first. I asked if there are other brands she can recommend. She said she's sure I will not like Starkey since I have been a Widex user.

So the appointment ended with some adjustment to the HA once again and she said she will call me back after she gets a second opinion from another audiologist in her office. The adjustment was horrible. She simply just turned the volume up. I couldn't even wear it at home due to my 4 years old daughter talkiing nonstop. I already turned the volume down but it's still hurting my ear.

So while waiting for my audiologist to call me back, I am trying to do some researches. My husband's friend's wife is an audiologist. I took a picture of the Unitron HA and showed it to her. She said it's fitted with closed dome. Base on my hearing loss, I should get fitted with power dome to get the most out of the HA. I had no idea the type of dome would make differences.

Sorry for the long post. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestion for me. Is there any strategy in programming that can make the speech clearer? Will the dome really make a difference? Should I request to try out with the power dome?
    I am attaching my audiogram and hopefully someone can help me.

Thank you so much!

Attached Images Attached Images

only went through the 1st 4 sentences. to make things short. coming from a cic which completely isolates your canal with just a tiny vent, the sound is richer and clearer simply because of the mold and location and isolation of the receiver in the cic case. Testing rics with domes if you're not an open fit candidate is always crap. You can get the general idea using domes, then pick your favorite ric manu. and make some c-shell molds which are similiar to cics, with only the receiver in them. Then you adjust the fine tuning until happy and then you buy the ric if satisfied, if not, you will have to cover for the molds. It is rather a anoying way to test HAs. BTE have 1 custom mold and can simply be attached to all manu. Rics all have different receiver and sizes, so you're stuck with the stupid domes in the 1st testing phase, and you always have to wait for the newest tech to be available in a BTE fashion. So welcome to the club.

- - - Updated - - -

only went through the 1st 4 sentences. to make things short. coming from a cic which completely isolates your canal with just a tiny vent, the sound is richer and clearer simply because of the mold and location and isolation of the receiver in the cic case. Testing rics with domes if you're not an open fit candidate is always crap. You can get the general idea using domes, then pick your favorite ric manu. and make some c-shell molds which are similiar to cics, with only the receiver in them. Then you adjust the fine tuning until happy and then you buy the ric if satisfied, if not, you will have to cover for the molds. It is rather a anoying way to test HAs. BTE have 1 custom mold and can simply be attached to all manu. Rics all have different receiver and sizes, so you're stuck with the stupid domes in the 1st testing phase, and you always have to wait for the newest tech to be available in a BTE fashion. So welcome to the club.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

I'm curious how it will work out with your insurance company now that you had passed the year 2016 and you still haven't finalized on which HAs you're purchasing, because I assume that the low deductible you had was probably good for 2016 only and it gets reset to full deductible in 2017, right? Unless the audi can still submit charges in 2017 for 2016 because the service date is already locked in for 2016 when you started your trialing. Just curious because I was in the same situation where I had paid all my deductible in 2016 so I was at an advantage of being able to have my insurance company pay for the whole 95% of the HA cost. But I started my trialing in early Nov'16 and I wanted to make sure my insurance payment is all processed and completed before 2016 was over, just to be sure everything is locked in and there's no complication. So I was a bit worried there but it worked out OK in the end for me.

Anyway, I'm no audi but the suggestion to try out the power dome seems to make sense to you since you have pretty severe loss at lower frequencies. I don't think there's much to lose to ask your audi to try it out, right? Maybe that's why you had the same issue with the Widex Unique as well (by using closed dome instead of power dome).

As for asking your audi about trialing the Oticon OPN (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to when you said Uticon), if your audi is willing to get you fitted with it even with a little bit of wait time for her to do her study, I don't see why not? Meanwhile you can try out the Unitron with the power dome swapped in while waiting for her to get the Oticon OPN for you. Then when she gets it in, make sure she fits you with the power dome on the OPN, too, if the power dome already works out better for you on the Unitron. I do think it's worth the time and trouble to try out the Oticon OPN as well. I'm not sure if it will get rid of noise a lot for you, because its new paradigm is to let you hear everything. But it still should make speech clearer for you to understand, even in the presence of noise.

I fully agree with you that it makes no sense to order another pair of Widex MIND if you've already had it for 6 years and can still use it for backup. This is a great opportunity for you to upgrade to something newer and better so why not?
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-09-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

4. Default

@Gery_R, Thanks got the input. It sounds like by switching to power dome or a customized mold, it might improve the performance of the HA. I will definitely bring it up to my audi and see what she says about it!

5. Default

@Volusiano... I was trying to rush to order the new HA before 2016 ends. Unfortunately, the trial didn't go smoothly so i have to fulfill the deductible for 2017 instead. Luckily, the 2017 deductible is the same as 2016, $1250 and 20% coinsurance. So it doesn't make difference to order it in 2016 or 2017.

I was actually fitted with double dome (power dome) when I first tried out the unitron. Then the Widex Unique was with either open or closed. Before I tried the unitron again, I praised how comfortable the dome of Widex was and that I didn't like the feeling of "ear plug" the Uniton gave me. Maybe that's why my Audi fitted me with closed dome when I tried it out again.

i believe the audi needs to be familiar and experience with the product in order to program it correctly. That's why I was concern when audi said she has never fitted Oticon and that she needs to do some study to it. But she sounds like she's willing to do that. So hopefully we can work something out in our next appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by pui106 View Post
    @Gery_R, Thanks got the input. It sounds like by switching to power dome or a customized mold, it might improve the performance of the HA. I will definitely bring it up to my audi and see what she says about it!
    yes power and bass domes are a must if you have low voice regonition left, but they are not perfect either.... things will get alot better with molds.

- - - Updated - - -

yes power and bass domes are a must if you have low voice regonition left, but they are not perfect either.... things will get alot better with molds.
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

My audi told me the same thing. Let's try the close dome first and if it doesn't work out, power dome or custom mold would have been the next step. Luckily the closed dome was good enough for me.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

@Volusiano... I was trying to rush to order the new HA before 2016 ends. Unfortunately, the trial didn't go smoothly so i have to fulfill the deductible for 2017 instead. Luckily, the 2017 deductible is the same as 2016, $1250 and 20% coinsurance. So it doesn't make difference to order it in 2016 or 2017.
    OK, I see. I thought you mean that you satisfied your deductible on some other expenses already so you have a low balance on your deductible in 2016 to take advantage of. For example if you had paid $1K in deductible on something else in 2016 already, then your cost would have been $250 deductible balance and 20% coinsurance. But I understand now that you just meant your total deductible is low at $1250.

i believe the audi needs to be familiar and experience with the product in order to program it correctly. That's why I was concern when audi said she has never fitted Oticon and that she needs to do some study to it. But she sounds like she's willing to do that. So hopefully we can work something out in our next appointment.
    I was only the third or fourth person my audi fitted the Oticon OPN on, so I could tell that she was going through a learning curve herself. But she actually had an Oticon rep stop by during my appointment and walked her through some of the settings live, face to face And she also mentioned about the Oticon trainer whom she could consult for help. Since the OPN is only 6 months old, all audis will have to go through the same learning curve. But it looks like Oticon wants to make sure that they give the audis plenty of hand-holding. So I wouldn't worry too much about your audi not being very experienced with the Oticon OPN as a hindrance as to not to try it out.

Having seen the Genie 2 interface and seeing how my audi did the programming on it during my fitting (she lets me look at the screen while she does it), I think the programming part of the Oticon OPN is actually pretty easy to learn anyway. Oticon actually recommends only 1 default setting on their OPN, although you can have up to 4 programs if you want. I tried 3 different settings but I found it not necessary to have 3 so I went back to 1 and found it work in all conditions for me anyway. The OPN is designed to transition and adjust settings automatically between different environments back and forth between simple to complex environments, so that the patient shouldn't have to be doing switching between 3 or 4 different programs themselves.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-09-2017 at 07:46 PM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    I was only the third or fourth person my audi fitted the Oticon OPN on, so I could tell that she was going through a learning curve herself. But she actually had an Oticon rep stop by during my appointment and walked her through some of the settings live, face to face And she also mentioned about the Oticon trainer whom she could consult for help. Since the OPN is only 6 months old, all audis will have to go through the same learning curve. But it looks like Oticon wants to make sure that they give the audis plenty of hand-holding. So I wouldn't worry too much about your audi not being very experienced with the Oticon OPN as a hindrance as to not to try it out.

Having seen the Genie 2 interface and seeing how my audi did the programming on it during my fitting (she lets me look at the screen while she does it), I think the programming part of the Oticon OPN is actually pretty easy to learn anyway. Oticon actually recommends only 1 default setting on their OPN, although you can have up to 4 programs if you want. I tried 3 different settings but I found it not necessary to have 3 so I went back to 1 and found it work in all conditions for me anyway. The OPN is designed to transition and adjust settings automatically between different environments back and forth between simple to complex environments, so that the patient shouldn't have to be doing switching between 3 or 4 different programs themselves.
    Thanks for the information! It helps alot! How do you like your OPN so far? I don't know how to read the audiogram hence do not know how's your hearing compares to mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post

Thanks for the information! It helps alot! How do you like your OPN so far? I don't know how to read the audiogram hence do not know how's your hearing compares to mine.