Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to retire and replace my Phonak Exalia Art HA's

Default Time to retire and replace my Phonak Exalia Art HA's

I have been using my Phonak Exalia Art HA's for about 5-6 years now. They are no longer up to the job either because they are worn out or my hearing has worsened.
    I have an appointment with my ear doctor for an exam follow by an audio test. Since I am now in the market and believe that my Exalia Art's @ approx. $6000 pr. when new
    will likely need replacement by similarly expensive new HA's, I am looking for recommendations both pro and con regarding three manufacturers: Phonak, Resound, and
    Widex. In addition to hearing better, I need to interface with my TV, ( I have the Phonak i Com), with streaming and my iPhone (OS9). Naturally, any less expensive hearing aids
    that will perform well with near profound hearing loss will be appreciated.

Any recommendations?

Since you mentioned less expensive, Costco has the Resound Cala 8 in a BTE. I don't know if it's powerful enough for your hearing loss, but it would give you streaming with your iPhone for under $3000. Widex Beyond would also give you direct streaming to your iphone, but at significantly more cost. Since you're used to Phonax, you might prefer their sound, but you won't get direct iPhone streaming. (You'll need an intermediate device)
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

If the reason you singled out these 3 brands is because they provide direct iPhone streaming, the Oticon OPN also direct iPhone streaming now as well. Since you mentioned near profound loss, the OPN now also has size 100 receiver, but I don't know if that's good enough for near profound loss or not.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

The Phonak Naida V came out a couple of months ago, it needs a new i com and tv adapter for streaming, but might be a familiar and better hearing expierience. I don't think widex has a new power BTE aid , their new platform beyond is only RIC, so you might get "old tech" there...
    Left/Right//kHz // Oticon OPN1 105dB C-Shell with support

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Quote Originally Posted by Gery_R View Post
    The Phonak Naida V came out a couple of months ago, it needs a new i com and tv adapter for streaming, but might be a familiar and better hearing expierience. I don't think widex has a new power BTE aid , their new platform beyond is only RIC, so you might get "old tech" there...
    I'm not sure what you mean by "old tech" and "new power" BTE. All I require is fully functioning digital hearing aids that automatically adjust for differing environments, selective programming and the ability to bluetooth with my telephones and wireless hookup to my TV. Interface with my iPhone is also desirable. If you are able, can you explain what new power and new tech mean in this context?

^simply put, the naida V are new with the latest tech phonak has to offer, widex afaik intrduced their power aids a while back, so they might be lacking in the hardware department. Of course you can always test them and decide for yourself, but when things are old, newer items made by the competition have better features, more mature software etc. So simply saying widex power BTE might be old and lacking. that's just old tech.

Both BTE are digital and both have a streamer to conect to BT devices and TV, however in my experience the software and hardware changes do add up to a better overal performance. And you don't want to buy tech that is older than 2 years since there should be more mature stuff available anytime soon. It seems after googling widex super 440 is up to 5 years old? so given that every manufac. produces new tech every 2 years the super seem to be way behind...

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

I'm specifically mentioning power aids, since I persume that you will need them to amplify around the 100dB range as you said profound, while the OPN might cover that loss with the 105dB receiver their 312 battery is simply too small. I got them because I get battery for free with a membership card, but with a more severe loss and without that battery offer I wouldn't have picked them....

45/55//0.25
    60/70// 0.5
    70/70//1
    60/70//2
    60/60//3
    50/45//4
    55/50//6
    45/55//8

Quote Originally Posted by jevidon View Post
    I have been using my Phonak Exalia Art HA's for about 5-6 years now. They are no longer up to the job either because they are worn out or my hearing has worsened.
    I have an appointment with my ear doctor for an exam follow by an audio test. Since I am now in the market and believe that my Exalia Art's @ approx. $6000 pr. when new
    will likely need replacement by similarly expensive new HA's, I am looking for recommendations both pro and con regarding three manufacturers: Phonak, Resound, and
    Widex. In addition to hearing better, I need to interface with my TV, ( I have the Phonak i Com), with streaming and my iPhone (OS9). Naturally, any less expensive hearing aids
    that will perform well with near profound hearing loss will be appreciated.

Any recommendations?
    Going in for an examination and a fresh hearing test will be a good place to start. And of course you'll have the fresh audiogram for possible future use if needed if you do go ahead and purchase new HAs.

You say the Aids are worn out. In what ways? I'd wait to hear what your hearing professional has to say before doing anything.

Your HAs may simply need adjusting and/or re-programming. If repairs need to be done, or parts replaced, Phonak usually drops you like a bad habit after a period of 3 years, and thus will not rebuild or repair the HA, but there are other businesses out there that can, and many of them are quite reasonable in cost for what they can do.

Hope this helps.
    250hz L-55 R-60
    500hz L-60 R-65
    1KHZ L-70 R-70
    2KHZ L-70 R-80
    4KHZ L-90 R-90
    8KHZ L-95 R-95

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Going in for an examination and a fresh hearing test will be a good place to start. And of course you'll have the fresh audiogram for possible future use if needed if you do go ahead and purchase new HAs.

You say the Aids are worn out. In what ways? I'd wait to hear what your hearing professional has to say before doing anything.

Your HAs may simply need adjusting and/or re-programming. If repairs need to be done, or parts replaced, Phonak usually drops you like a bad habit after a period of 3 years, and thus will not rebuild or repair the HA, but there are other businesses out there that can, and many of them are quite reasonable in cost for what they can do.

Hope this helps.
    I didn't mean to say that they are worn out. I just stated that as a possibility. When they were under warranty and approaching the three year mark, they did require substantial refurbishment. I did get a quote about a year ago for refurbishment and Phonak came back with a "knock your socks off" quote that was enough to discourage me from taking that route. Marketing tool? Probably.

I have an appointment for an ear exam and audiology test next month.

Starkey is another Manufacturer that I understand has done repairs on various other brand HAs for patients. I think I got a quote once from my local audiologist for my older Phonak Perseo ITC and the price was something like $340 per HA. Not all that cheap either I thought.

I have used these people for total recasing and repair of these HAs I mention above on a few instances, with broken battery doors, which some audis told me could not be fixed. A cock and bull story about the Chipset being permanently attached to the inside of the Faceplate and could not be removed without destroying the Chipset. Just wanted to sell me a new pair of HAs was all at the time.

What one is often not aware of, is that many maker's HAs are a consist of often many generic off the shelf parts made by other manufacturers in the world, and can be gotten, contrary what any given company might say. That many components used are not quite so "proprietary".

This company I link to did beautiful work. I still have those HAs as spares, as I now wear Phonak's latest Virto V-90 ITC. The old Perseos look and work as new.

Here's their website, good business if you should choose or need repairs on any HA once out of warrantee.
    www.directhearingaidservices.com

They can recase ITC-ITE with locally gotten new impressions, replace Mics, or Speakers, upgrade analog aids to digital, etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by MarkD51; 01-17-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    250hz L-55 R-60
    500hz L-60 R-65
    1KHZ L-70 R-70
    2KHZ L-70 R-80
    4KHZ L-90 R-90
    8KHZ L-95 R-95