Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Time Cell Phone Usage

1. Default Real Time Cell Phone Usage

I am a maintenance guy in a mixed noise environment at an assisted living place. I wear the Kirkland 5.0 ( I believe you all call them something like the K5?) Anyway, my hearing loss is such that I just barely understand some phone calls but most of the time I can understand anything. It sounds like the caller has their lips up against the microphone and it sort of distorted. I know there are a few variables involved, my cell phone quality, their cell phone quality etc, but I'm looking for improvements I can make because lately I've found myself avoiding phone calls because I just can't understand. It's not the volume, it's the clarity.
    We have Kenwood walkie Talkies at work and I can hear crystal clear on those. We have an old radio from the 70's at work that is very clear. The speaker on the phone is clearer for me to hear than over the phone. I don't use any assisted devices like the coil because it just doesn't work. I have a phone clip but I can't work with a little cable attached to my phone, besides which the Bluetooth program never stays on and it disrupts my normal hearing program.

I'm considering the new 7.0s and sacrificing for an iPhone (which I really hope I don't have to do) if the bluetooth is quick, seamless, automatic and doesn't change my normal work setting. I have to be able to answer the phone with one hand quickly in different environments while working. Has anyone had similar challenges?
    KHz--250...500...750...1k...1.5k....2k...3k....4k...6k. ...8k
    L.......30....40.....50....60....55.....50....60.. ..65...75....70
    R.......35....45.....45....50....55.....55....55.. ..65...75....70

Seems like one of those HA brands that support direct streaming from the iPhone via Bluetooth Low Energy (without needing a streamer you wear around your neck) would be a good solution for you. Not all HAs support this but there are a few currently and more are joining this bandwagon. They're usually high end HAs, though.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

3. Default

Yes it would seem. But surprisingly I can't find anyone actually using them in a similar situation. Reviews on the itunes app gives less than stellar reviews. Battery life is reduced drastically when the bluetooth is on all day, [paraphrased from other reviews].

Does anyone have a surprisingly good quality phone speaker?
    KHz--250...500...750...1k...1.5k....2k...3k....4k...6k. ...8k
    L.......30....40.....50....60....55.....50....60.. ..65...75....70
    R.......35....45.....45....50....55.....55....55.. ..65...75....70

I've had a Widex Beyond now for about a week or two. The direct BT connection to my iPhone has used next to no battery, and even playing with streaming a lot in the first week I have had it, I still got 7 days on the 312 battery. Not too bad.

Clarity - I was in the same boat as you, I hated phones because I could barely make words out of the noise. This streaming is remarkable, I no longer avoid phone calls on my iPhone. The Widex program will also allow you to control a mixer - how much background vs streaming you want in the BT connection. In other words, I'm pretty damned surprised at how well it works.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

5. Default

I have used my HA's with an iPhone (5 and 6) for about 2.5 years. Makes a huge difference on phone calls, especially in noisy places. People look at me a little funny when they see me talking into the phone and can't hear anything coming back. The bonus for me is when I need the maps program (GPS) for navigating, the instructions come via the hearing aids so I can hear above road noise. If I power the phone completely off, I have to go through a pairing procedure but it is very reliable. I see no difference in battery life whether I stream or not, I change batteries every Saturday morning, rarely before. I don't listen to music much, use over the ear headphones for that.
    Like everything else, there are pros and cons but I like these.

Lou
    LouYo
    L: . 30 .. 25 ... 30 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 70
    F: 250 .500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    R: . 40 .. 40 ... 35 ... 60 ... 60 ... 65 ... 65

Like you, Samweller, I do not hear well on the phone. I wear Phonak V90 and use their Compilot to route all calls from my phone through the hearing aids. It helps tremendously with the clarity and it means practically handsfree phone handling. You can answer the phone call with the phone in your pocket by hitting one (big) button on the Compilot. It does require you to wear the Compilot around the neck, but you can keep it under your shirt. You can get a small (really small) lapel mike to attach to the Compilot and clip on to your shirt collar. This means great clarity for the caller at the other end as well. One of my issues, is being on the phone in noisy environments. You can have your audiologist set the connection up to various levels of reducing the sound coming from the outside through HA mikes. I have it turned almost all the way off. Don't know if this is any help to you, but for me this setup is perfect and I thought I should share.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    L R
    250Hz 25 25
    500Hz 20 20
    1000Hz 30 25
    1500Hz 55 40
    2000Hz 60 50
    3000Hz 60 50
    4000Hz 50 40
    6000Hz 50 40
    8000Hz 60 45

Blog Entries

Your KS5 were made by Siemens -- now Signia. The KS7 is also made by them. The KS6 was made by Resound. I fear you will have similar problems going from the KS5 to KS7 as the phone device is very similar. The Resound Cala is available at Costco but that would add about $1000 for it with the phone clip. You could consider trying both or ask if Costco knows someone who passed that had the KS6 that could transfer to you.

I have the same problem you do with phones and found the KS6 really worked well at improving calls. I've used it with both Android and iPhone and both gave me much better clarity.
    Last edited by KenP; 01-12-2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I just want to clarify that usually if you wear a streamer around your neck (which you can just tuck under your shirt) then it should usually work with either iPhone or Android phones. You don't need to shell out money for an iPhone if you already have an Android phone with Bluetooth. And the streamer may have a mic built in to it so you can leave your phone in your pocket and just hit a button on the streamer to answer phone calls. Or the streamer may need a mic clip attached to it. Basically the streamer is the interface between your phone and your HAs.

If you want to avoid this streamer interface, there are a few brands/models that now support direct streaming from iPhones (or iPads, iPods, etc) to your HAs directly, without going through a streamer. But as far as I know, this setup only works with iPhones right now and not Android phones. That is because the Apple already has a proprietary Bluetooth Low Energy protocol on their iPhones that the HA mfgs use to enable direct streaming. Eventually when there's a Bluetooth Low Energy standard created and adopted by Android phones (and even Apple iPhones), then HA mfgs will be able to use it for direct streaming with all phones. But the bottom line is that you'll need to buy an iPhone at the current time, along with an HA that supports direct streaming to iPhones, if direct streaming is what you want.

Direct streaming is nice but not all that convenient because it's only for listening and you still need to pick up the phone and answer it and hold the phone's mic up near your mouth for talking. With a streamer worn around your neck, especially if there's a built-in mic in it already, then you can leave your phone in your pocket and just answer the phone by clicking a button on your streamer and carry on your conversation with the phone in your pocket.

As for your concern about HA battery life due to Bluetooth connection all day (in the case of direct streaming), this shouldn't be a big concern because direct streaming doesn't use regular Bluetooth connection. It uses Bluetooth Low Energy instead, which uses much less power than regular Bluetooth. Sure, it may still affect battery life somewhat if you use direct streaming a lot, but you should still be able to get about 4-5 days of battery life which is reasonably good enough for the convenience.
    Last edited by Volusiano; 01-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

Blog Entries

Your device isn't using BLe. The neck device uses standard BT to the phone but connect to the aid using magnetic resonance via the neckloop antenna. That is in the 10 Mhz area. BT/BLe is a spread spectrum transmission that is the 2.4 Ghz range. Currently, only aids that are iPhone connected use proprietary BLe to communicate.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    Your device isn't using BLe. The neck device uses standard BT to the phone but connect to the aid using magnetic resonance via the neckloop antenna. That is in the 10 Mhz area. BT/BLe is a spread spectrum transmission that is the 2.4 Ghz range. Currently, only aids that are iPhone connected use proprietary BLe to communicate.
    Not sure why you feel the need to correct anything here because I don't think I said anywhere that the neck device uses BLE. I only said that the direct streaming between the HA and the iPhone uses the Apple proprietary BLE.

As to how the neck device/streamer interfaces with either iPhone or Android phones, I said Bluetooth, I didn't say BLE.

As to how the neck device/streamer interfaces with the HAs, I don't know how but it doesn't matter to me anyway because I don't need to know in order to make sure they're compatible. They should be compatible by default if I buy a neck device/streamer designed to work with my HAs.