Thread: HSA and other Coverage under Publication 969

Default HSA and other Coverage under Publication 969

Hi all,
    This may be a long shot but, would anyone have experience with have a HDHP with HSA account along with having other coverage for hearing aids?

For example, through my job I have a health plan with a HSA. Because I have the HSA I no longer qualify for the Wyoming Miners Hospital benifits, which will pay $2000 towards a pair of HAs. According to IRS Publication 969, I can still qualify for the HSA if my other coverage is for a disability, vision, dental and mental illness. In my mind that means I should be able to use the benifits since it's for a disability.

Anyways, has anyone ever dealt with a similiar situation or have knowledge with this?

Thanks!

Not quite sure what you're asking, but I don't see any issue with using your HSA to purchase hearing aids.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbosh View Post
    Hi all,
    This may be a long shot but, would anyone have experience with have a HDHP with HSA account along with having other coverage for hearing aids?

For example, through my job I have a health plan with a HSA. Because I have the HSA I no longer qualify for the Wyoming Miners Hospital benifits, which will pay $2000 towards a pair of HAs. According to IRS Publication 969, I can still qualify for the HSA if my other coverage is for a disability, vision, dental and mental illness. In my mind that means I should be able to use the benifits since it's for a disability.

Anyways, has anyone ever dealt with a similiar situation or have knowledge with this?

Thanks!
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    Not quite sure what you're asking, but I don't see any issue with using your HSA to purchase hearing aids.
    Sorry if that didn't make much sense ha ha. It is OK to use an HSA for hearing aids and batteries. My question is if anyone else has been able to use other coverage while having an HSA?

4. Default

I live in VA, so I'm not sure if it is different in each state, but I use my HSA to buy batteries, and my hearing aids. I haven't had any issues.
    250 -- 500 -- 1K -- 2K -- 4K -- 8K
    L 65 -- 65---- 65 -- 60 -- 55 -- 55

R 50 -- 55 --- 60 -- 50- --55 -- 55

I have a HDHP (High Deductible Health Plan) that qualifies me to have an HSA. My HDHP provided 95% coverage on hearing aid purchase and I pay the remaining 5% co-pay for in-network provider. I bought a pair of HAs last year and my audi submitted the bill to my insurance company and she got paid her share and I paid her the 5% co-pay. I then submitted a reimbursement request to my HSA for the 5% co-pay I made.

My understanding is that having an HSA doesn't preclude you from being able to use other coverages that you have. They're independent from each other. The only thing is that you can only use your HSA fund for qualified medical expenses (hearing aid is a qualified medical expense) that hasn't been covered and paid for by a plan. So let's say your plan paid $5K for your HAs which cost $6K and you paid your provider the $1K difference. You can only withdraw the $1K from HSA to cover for your out-of-pocket expense.

If you withdraw HSA $ before you're 65 for non-medical stuff, you pay taxes on it plus a 20% penalty. If you do that after you turn 65, you pay taxes but no penalty.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

I don't have other insurance that covers hearing aids, but you should be able to use the HSA for anything that the insurance doesn't cover. HSA shouldn't really matter to the insurance company. HSA could be used to pay deductibles. You just can't double dip as in getting reimbursed by insurance company and using HSA to cover same expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbosh View Post
    Sorry if that didn't make much sense ha ha. It is OK to use an HSA for hearing aids and batteries. My question is if anyone else has been able to use other coverage while having an HSA?
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Thanks everyone. The other coverage I was trying to get didn't really try looking into if the hearing aid coverage can be covered since I have a HDHP with an HSA so I just went ahead and purchased the high end Halo 2s. Now hopefully my insurance covers what they said ahead of time!