Thread: Advantages of hearing aid cell phone connection

Default Advantages of hearing aid cell phone connection

What exactly is the advantage of having hearing aids that can be adjusted from a cell phone?

I can adjust the volume and program choice with varioius buttons on my hearing aids. But with the Oticon Alta 2 Pro, for example, what else? I am not referring to phone call connections, music connections, etc. Only hesring aid adjustments.

The VA has just ordered a pair of Phonak Audeo B, presumably the 90, for me. Any differences there?

If you're happy with the buttons, it's minimal. There are a few more options with a cell phone app, depending greatly on the app. On mine (Costco version of Rexton), I can adjust tone (bass/treble) and microphone directionality. The microphone directionality is also available via button if set up that way. There's also a battery indicator which is pretty much useless. On non Costco Rexton's, I think there's also a tinnitus setting. So, it depends on how many usable adjustable setting there are on the aids and what kind of interface you want.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
    What exactly is the advantage of having hearing aids that can be adjusted from a cell phone?

I can adjust the volume and program choice with varioius buttons on my hearing aids. But with the Oticon Alta 2 Pro, for example, what else? I am not referring to phone call connections, music connections, etc. Only hesring aid adjustments.

The VA has just ordered a pair of Phonak Audeo B, presumably the 90, for me. Any differences there?
    .25 .5 1 1.5 2 3.0 4.0 6.0 8.0

15 15 20 30 30 55 75 90 NR ​KS7
    10 10 20 15 25 35 65 85 95 WRS 100/92@45/40

Bashful people don't like to be caught fooling with the aid buttons because they don't want folk to know they have aids. No one will make you download the app. Fact lots of folks function fine w/o a smart phone.

What did you want the VA to order for you?
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 05-18-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    Bashful people don't like to be caught fooling with the aid buttons because they don't want folk to know they have aids. No one will make you download the app. Fact lots of folks function fine w/o a smart phone.

What did you want the VA to order for you?
    I have been wearing Oticon Alta2 Pros, but my speech recognition had dropped noticeably to 49% and I have been having great difficulty on the phone (much distortion), in a small classroom, streaming tv (tinny). For these and other reasons, the audiologist suggested frequency lowering and ordered Phonak Audeo B because of its Sound Recovery 2. She also made a mold fordomes. I asked about the new Oticons but she felt these were more appropriate. If they don't work out, I will try something else.

R 50 50 55 55 60 80 90 90
    L 40 40 45 50 55 60 85 85
    Last edited by AlanM; 05-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.

5. Default

I think the advantages are minimal in that regard. I can set a location to a customized setting, volume and tone. So, when I get home, it knows it and picks the program via GPS location. You can have something like 20 locations. I think I have 3 as well as the car setting, senses motion and switches to it.
    There is an icon for use in an extremely noisy place, I find it helps a little when there is a lot of noise behind me. The downside is that I need my phone to adjust anything. No buttons on the aids. Some people probably think I am rude when I pull out the phone to turn the volume up because they talk too low. I don't care about that.
    I really like the ability to stream phone calls into the aids, and the GPS (maps) program when I am driving. If I had it to do over, I would still want aids that can talk to my phone.
    Mine also came via the VA. I can now order batteries on line (if I can figure out how).
    I would suggest to focus on hearing clarity and then worry about the extras, I am pleased with sound quality although I am going to have to go in for adjustments soon (been 2 years since last adjustment). Just my $0.02.
    LouYo
    L: . 30 .. 25 ... 30 ... 50 ... 55 ... 60 ... 70
    F: 250 .500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    R: . 40 .. 40 ... 35 ... 60 ... 60 ... 65 ... 65

I have been wearing Oticon Alta2 Pros, but my speech recognition had dropped noticeably to 49% and I have been having great difficulty on the phone (much distortion), in a small classroom, streaming tv (tinny). For these and other reasons, the audiologist suggested frequency lowering and ordered Phonak Audeo B because of its Sound Recovery 2. She also made a mold fordomes. I asked about the new Oticons but she felt these were more appropriate. If they don't work out, I will try something else.

R 50 50 55 55 60 80 90 90
    L 40 40 45 50 55 60 85 85
    Dropped to 49% from what and in what length of time? Perhaps a trip to an ENT is in order.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

You can download the apps and try them each out in demo mode to see if you think they would be of use to you. They can be less fiddlie than the HA buttons.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

With the new Resound 3D you can ask your audiologist for remote re-programming of hearing aids and specify what sort of programming changes are needed. The Audiologist can respond by sending you a 'packet' of changes that you upload to your instruments to try out - if you are happy with the changes, you can accept them or reject them if they don't improve things.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. Default

When I'm in a noisy restaurant, I will usually open up the app and set my aids to focus on a narrow beam directly in front of me. Then I can hear my wife better over the noise. Can't do this with the buttons on the aid.

That's the only time I ever use the app.
    The Babbling Blue Crab

Freq - 250 - 500 - 750 - 1k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    -- R -- 20 -- 30 -- 30 - 40 - 45 - 50 - 55 - 55 - 60
    -- L -- 20 -- 30 -- 55 - 60 - 55 - 50 - 55 - 70 - 60

SRT R 35 L 45
    WR R 75/88% L 75/76%

Siemens Pure 5bx with EasyTek
    Wearing hearing aids since Sept. 2015

10. Default

I have the ReSound Cala with the app on my phone. Downside is that my aides only allow for 4 programs, upside is that I've experimented with each of the 4. I can change volume, bass/treble, focus of voice, wind noise and background noise filter. I did my experiments for 6 weeks and then when I returned to my audi, he could see what I had been using and how often. We adjusted the aides to the new baseline of what I had used. I find it very useful for changing environments and am still experimented (new aide user, only 3 months total).
    --------L-----R
    250 - 20 - 15
    500 - 20 - 20
    1k - 25 - 25
    1.5k - 30 - 30
    2k - 35 - 30
    3k - 40 - 35
    4k - 50 - 45
    6k - 45 - 50
    8k - 30 - 40