Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is otoclerosis?

Default What is otoclerosis?

What is Otosclerosis? Otosclerosis is a hereditary condition in which the hearing loss occurs slowly, over time. Spongy bone tissue grows in the middle ear, leading to hearing loss when the bone tissue grows around the ossicles, or bones of the middle ear. This growth can immobilize the bone, interfering with the ear's ability to hear.

http://deafness.about.com/cs/etiolog...osclerosis.htm

Default That's what I have

My ENT says that is what I have, otosclerosis, but I am too old for the surgery.

That's why I have been wearing hearing aids.

He told me that this type of hearing loss can sometimes be corrected completely with surgery, but that there are some risks.

Quote Originally Posted by mac
    My ENT says that is what I have, otosclerosis, but I am too old for the surgery.

That's why I have been wearing hearing aids.

He told me that this type of hearing loss can sometimes be corrected completely with surgery, but that there are some risks.
    It all depends how your nerve hearing is. Often Otosclerosis is not the only hearing loss you have. You may also have an age related nerve deafness too. If you suffer with this kind of 'mixed' loss you have all the risk of surgery without the chance to full restore the hearing. In such a case they often decide to simply fit hearing aids.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this disease?

Not at this stage, maybe in the future when genetic therapy has matured.

Does anyone have any further information on how flouride might be used to possibly slow down otosclerosis's potential to worsen over time?

Thanks,

feedback

Feedback,

I did a quick search on "flouride" and "otosclerosis" and found a wealth of information on several medical sites. I have never heard of this before. Thanks for posing the question. I learned allot.

Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Does anyone have any further information on how flouride might be used to possibly slow down otosclerosis's potential to worsen over time?

Thanks,

feedback
    I have heard this work you need to ask an ENT

Can you share any infromation on what you learned? Is it worth taking flouride? I have heard and read mixed reviews.