Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is otoclerosis?

1. Default stapedectomy or hearing aids??

Dear friends,

Im a new member and need your help and advice.I ve been diagnosed with otosclerosis in both my ears with right ear more effected than the left one.I have some queries for you people.I have a conductive hearing loss .I am interested in getting his stapedectomey done as im not very keen on using a hearing aid.We are also not sure whether its a good idea to get it done now or wait for a couple of years and persuade use a hearing aid.Is there a possibility that after a coupe of years the otosclerosis will progress to an extent where the stapedectomy will no longer help or can become more risky and comlicated.We know the risks of the stapedectomy but are not sure whether waiting to get it done can worsen the problem.On the other hand if I continue to use the hearing aid ,ofcourse the loss is progressive so how long it will be possible to use the hearing aid and are there hearing aids which will work effectively at even a later age of the otosclerosis..I am attaching his audiometry test According to them in his 5Rt is 65 dB in right ear and 55 dB in left ear.speech discrimination is 100% in right and 88% in left ear.
    Just a few more things which I want to make clear .I will be very obliged if you answer them..I am adviced to use a digital aidiFirstly,how often these hearing aids need to be replaced or upgraded as the sclerosis will progress and whether it will be possible to use the hearing aid even at very later stages of the sclerosis.Secondly,if the stapedectomy is delayed ,does the risk or complication increase with time and is there a possibility that after some years it will not be possible to conduct the stapedectomy due to a later stage of otosclerosis.

And is this digital aid needs to be fixed by experts at the clinic .I mean does it get fixed in the ear permanently.

salman

Smile

Hello, i have otosclerosis as well. My wife and i did a lot of research and talked to many ENT's throughout wisconsin & minisota some like stapedectomies and some dont. My local ENT has been doing them for 20 years he has close tie & was a oartner for the gentleman who invented it.

And this is what i got from them. Stapedectomies work more than 95% of the time (eith limitations) despite what people say, you will not get 100% of your hearing back but closer to 80%. Also According to journals from ENT's the Stapedectomy has a 7-10 year life span before degrading. 3rd Stapedecomy only halts otosclerosis, so if you have any nerve damage or just normal getting older nerve degredation You will still need a hearing aid to amplify sound and they have said that people with otosclerosis get nerve damage faster.

For me i decided to Go with the hearing aid Knowing that While not perfect and and is a crutch, The way My hearing is we felt it was better to go with the aid than the stapedectomy.

And please dont make a decision on what i said alone, do some looking and calling around talking to ENT's also your situation may be different than mine perhaps you have most your hearing still so stapedectomy could halt your hearing loss instead of trading one form of deafness for me for another

Wich ever you do I wish you much luck!

3. Default

Thyanks a lot for your input ,it really means a lot.But before making any decision i would like other members also to give their input so that I canmake a better decision.Thanking you all in anticipation.

I had a stapedectomy on my right ear in 1993. I haven't really investigated it since then, so I'm passing on only my experience and not any current expertise.

When I had the stapedectomy, I'd been wearing an analog CIC hearing aid for two years and didn't much like it because my ears wiggle a lot and it would work itself loose, and this was also before the wonderful digital technology hearing aids have now. I was a lawyer and excellent hearing was essential, so I had the stapedectomy.

The operation did have its down sides. A couple of nights after the operation, a sudden ringing sound woke me up and has been there ever since. No clue what exactly caused it, but it's miserable. I also note that my ENT was young (and possibly somewhat experienced) and the operation took longer than it was supposed to but he never explained why.

Also, nobody can explain this but in that ear, when there are very loud sounds (like in a movie theater with really loud sound or explosions), I hear a rattling sound. Wasn't there before the stapedectomy. .

And finally, audiograms show that the stapedectomy killed the high frequency hearing in that ear. From 3000Hz to 8000Hz, the numbers go from 50db to 90db. Before the operation, they were in the 25db to 30db range. That sucks.

On balance, am I glad I had it? Yes because about four years after the stapedectomy, the other ear went bad--all frequencies are between 70 and 90 db on the audiogram.

I got a hearing aid for the ear that is now bad and have been very very happy with it. It's a 10-year-old digital ITE that just yesterday appears to have started crapping out, which is why I found this forum in the first place--researching options. (The ITE works great for my wiggling ears, but is at the edge of its amplification capabilities.)

I have no reason to believe that the ear I had the stapedectomy on wouldn't have progressed to the point the other ear has, and if that were the case, I'd be pretty much deaf without the stapedectomy. I use the stapedectomy ear to talk on the phone, and one of my hobbies is windsurfing and if I didn't have that ear at least partially functional, I wouldn't be able to do it because it's dangerous out there if I can't hear anything and I obviously can't wear a hearing aid.

As for the ear with the stapedectomy, I think the stapedectomy pretty much stopped the progression of the otosclerosis.

A few years ago, I got a BTE hearing aid for the stapedectomy ear, which I use only for movies and lectures--times when I sit quietly and listen. I know that's not the way a hearing aid should be used, but it works for me. I hate the occlusion, and the silicone mold slides around. I tried on an open fit aid last year and loved it, but I don't need one frequently enough or bad enough to justify the cost.

Would I consider having a stapedectomy on my bad ear? Absolutely not. I had an ENT try to persuade me to do it (he said something about nerve damage, which sounds a little like what COVFAM mentioned above). It's now 10 years later (I'm now 51) and a hearing aid still works fine in my bad ear. And since my stapedectomy ear allows me to function, there's no way I'm going to subject myself to another operation for at best a marginal benefit. All it would get me is possibly good hearing in that ear, and I know I can get 100% good hearing by using a hearing aid.

But am I glad I had the stapedectomy I did have? Absolutely. Despite the tinnitus and the rattling and the loss of high frequency hearing, the fact remains that I can hear well enough with that ear to function okay without a hearing aid in it.

I actually think I sort of have the best of both worlds. Because of the stapedectomy, I can hear enough to function. I can use a hearing aid in the bad ear if I need to have a conversation, I can use a hearing aid in the stapedectomy ear as well if I need to hear a lecture or movie, and I can put my stapedectomy ear on the pillow and sleep through anything.

My boyfriend has such good hearing that one night he was kept awake by the sound of an ant crawling on a piece of paper in the trash can. I don't envy him at all!

5. Default

Hi, I am also a newbie here and had to post a reply. In 2003 I had a stapesdectomy performed on my left ear. It brought my hearing back up to a level where once again I could hear voices through the telephone receiver. I put off having the surgery on the right ear until it would be absolutely necessary. The surgery went well in that it did improve my hearing but I also ended up with the uncomfortable feeling of having my ear blocked, sort of what happens during air travel. I also have a funny feeling in the back area of my tongue. I notice these things more when I am under stress or tired.

The other thing is that 5 years later the otosclerosis has progressed and I once again noticed that I couldn`t hear as well. Tests have shown that I do have to wear hearing aids. (Sorry I don`t have the numbers.) I have decided not to have the right ear done due to the otosclerosis and also there is nerve damage in both ears that wouldn`t be corrected by the surgery.

I was 41 when I had the surgery and now at 46 I have my first set of hearing aids with many more to come in the future, I don`t regret having the surgery but I`m not sure if I feel that the surgery buys enough time or just delays the inevitable.

6. Default Stapedecomy

Sept. 12th 2008
    I just had it done less than 24 hrs ago in my Right ear.

I had been wearing an inner digital hearing aid for 8 years (I'm currently 48 years old). I wanted to wait some years until it got worst before I had the operation. I had losses of 60-75 dbs and I thought it was only going to get worst, and it was time. As with most other people otosclorosis (being genetic), it started happening with my left ear also. 6 years ago I was fitted with an aid for my left hear. The loss in the left ear still hasn’t reached the point of my right (only 20-30 db loss). So at this point I don’t plan on having it operated on.

Since it’s to soon for me to tell, with my ear still having gauze and packing in it, I will have to wait a week until it’s removed and be able to tell. So far the pain is basically gone, but my tongue feels a little strange. It may just from the anesthesia, but I also know the chorda tympani nerve in the ear has to do with taste. So for now, I’ll just watch and see if things change. For the most part, I can still taste, but it just feels a little numb or dry.

I’ll try and keep you updated over the next few days/weeks.

Sept. 27th. 2008
    It's been a couple weeks and I have went back to my doctor for my first Post Op visit. I can hear out of the ear (which is always a good start), but sofar it's not as dramatic as I would hope. I was told to give it a few more weeks for the fluid and swelling in the ear to go down. My tongue still feels and tastes funny, but I think it's getting better. Again I was told to give it a few weeks more. The Operation it self when well with little pain or discomfort. Just kept it dry and avoid lifting and load noises for the first week or two. A hearing test is scheduled for my next visit in a few weeks, the soonest that they do them. I let you know how it turns out...
    Last edited by Raymond; 09-27-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Default What is otoclerosis

Hi jzip_admin,

Just to not hope for nothing and be disappointed, any chance to see one of these options?

Thanks

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder View Post
    I have heard this work you need to ask an ENT
    Can you share any infromation on what you learned? Is it worth taking flouride? I have heard and read mixed reviews.

10. Default What is Otoclerosis?

Otosclerosis is the abnormal improvement of bone of the middle ear. This bone thwart arrangement within the ear from functioning appropriate and causes hearing loss. For some those with otosclerosis, the hearing loss may become extreme.