Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonak Naida - help with assistives

Red face Phonak Naida - help with assistives

New Naida's. Still adjusting but OK with them. Have to compile a list of assistive devices I want. Counselor suggested a blackberry with phone, Comfort Contego instead of Phonak FM because of price, looked at neck loops, coils, amplifiers and now thoroughly confused. Have been reading a lot, but too much to grasp.

Does Contego FM or Phonak FM perform best? Need Verizon Blackberry for reception in my area and understand there is a way to access e-mail, operator assisted, etc.? Can anyone simplify this stuff me and suggest a Blackberry?

Exactly what devices do I need to be able to be mobile with the phone and hear well in meetings, etc? I have profound loss and not much hearing in the higher range.

Ok.....with the Contego....I think the Contego is a very good device as it's able to be adjusted on the fly on directional microphones. On the other side of the coin, the Contego doesn't have bluetooth versus the Smartlink SX. Let me give you a breakdown on pros and cons on Contego versus Phonak Smartlink SX:

Comfort Contego
    Pros
    1. directional microphones- adjustable remotely and on body.
    2. volume can also be adjusted
    3. seemed very clear and not causing trouble with background noise from clothes
    4. Cost a 1/3 price of Smartlink plus 2 receivers because it's used with the aids T-coils
    Cons
    1. No Bluetooth for direct connection with Hearing aids and bluetooth enabled cell phone/computer
    2. Bulky...about the size of an classic Ipod
    3. T-coil can have interference in certain areas such as high power lines and microwaves
    Smartlink SX
    Pros
    1. Small size , three volume settings, Omnidirectional, wide range and pinpoint range
    2. Can be tailored to fit hearing range of Naida aids/receivers
    3. Bluetooth capability can make hearing aids work like bluetooth receivers
    4. FM doesn't have any interference problems (as far as I have seen with my setup)
    Cons
    1. Seem to make noise when worn on body (clothes rubbing)
    2. Cost higher because of 1-2 receivers needed

I trialed the Comfort Contego, but decided on the Phonak Smartlink because of my mobility requirements. If you do not require much in mobility, the Contego is the way to go, otherwise I would say thumbs up on the Smartlink because of the wide range of applications that can be used (computer, ipod, cell phone, home phone, etc.)

If you are looking for a good phone, the Blackberry Curve was a very good phone. The sounds coming from the blackberry was very clear and crisp. Currently I'm using a HTC 8525 (below the 8925 (tilt) phone) and it sounds very good, but if the Curve I traded in for the current phone had wifi, I would have kept it. Text messaging was good on the Curve also.. I think you will really need a phone with 3G capability, so you can have a way to use the WebCaptel service. 3G capabilty helps to have simultaneous data and voice transmission, but I'm not sure if Verizon uses this service. I use ATT.....

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Leo
    ljjehl

Current hearing aids: Phonak Naida V UP
    Current ALS: Smartlink SX transmitter, Phonak ML10i receiver, Clearsounds Quattro Neckloop

Question similar accessibility issues

I, too, am totally confused. I have the Phonak Naida with the Icom bluetooth. A little frustrated with having to charge the Icom every day. The range is limited(distance).
    I'm trying to figure out how to use it with t.v..
    Can I use other bluetooth neck loops with the Naida's, or am I limited to the ICOM?
    In addition, I'm having trouble with my Naida turning off after 5 minutes. It acts like it has too much moisture. I've begun using the Dry and Store, taken apart the earpiece and tubing to clean it out, but it still cuts out.
    Then there is the issue of the delay when turning the aid back on. A delay of 2-3 seconds before the tone that it is on is getting old. Especially when it keeps cutting out.
    Any input? Feedback? Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by kcrowe
    I, too, am totally confused. I have the Phonak Naida with the Icom bluetooth. A little frustrated with having to charge the Icom every day. The range is limited(distance).
    I'm trying to figure out how to use it with t.v..
    Can I use other bluetooth neck loops with the Naida's, or am I limited to the ICOM?
    In addition, I'm having trouble with my Naida turning off after 5 minutes. It acts like it has too much moisture. I've begun using the Dry and Store, taken apart the earpiece and tubing to clean it out, but it still cuts out.
    Then there is the issue of the delay when turning the aid back on. A delay of 2-3 seconds before the tone that it is on is getting old. Especially when it keeps cutting out.
    Any input? Feedback? Recommendations?
    If you have not yet, there is an update available from Phonak for the Icom so you can charge it while using. Bluetooth is usually only able to connect within 5-6 feet if I remember. It might be 10 meters(30 feet), but I don't have the info in front of me to vouch for it. Since the Naidas by itself do not have bluetooth, you can't connect to another bluetooth device. You can use a t-coil enabled bluetooth device such as MaxIt http://www.maxit.com.hk/ and use it to connect to a bluetooth enabled phone or computer. Here's a site with more info : www.tecear.com

Regarding the cutting out, you might have an issue with your Naida such as dirty filters that needs to be replaced or a problem in the Naida that needs an update. The tone delay that you are mentioning can be eliminated, as this is in the iPFG software configuration that the audiologist uses to adjust your aids. You can adjust the loudness, delay and other stuff. What you need to do is write down all your issues and then make an appointment with your audi. If your audi doesn't know how to adjust properly, ask for a phonak rep to visit the office and help you adjust your aids. I had a phonak rep adjust my aids 5 times before I finally have it where I want it to be.

Be sure to also ask for a hard copy of your Naida's iPFG configuration so you can go over it later and be able to either ask more questions regarding adjustments or ask us in the forum.

Hope this helps!!

Leo
    ljjehl

Current ALS: Smartlink SX transmitter, Phonak ML10i receiver, Clearsounds Quattro Neckloop

Thank you. This is helpful. Is it possible to use an iCom for phone and the Contego for FM? What would that mean in terms of items purchased? Just the iCom and then the Contego and neck loop or would there be anything else? Or am I thoroughly confused still?

The iCom would be for the phone, computer, iPod or any other bluetooth device. The FM Contego would be for more precise microphone placement with better control, but I don't see it being used in addition to your aids, as you will be in "T-coil" mode. The biggest issue I see is the extra bulk you have to carry with you if you want to always have both on your person at all times. That was why I decided to pick the Smartlink SX and the integrated receivers...the best of both worlds and a smaller setup...BUT at a steeper cost...

You will have to decide what you want, bulk and cheap, or compact and cost.....
    ljjehl

Thanks so much, but I'm still confused. I am not hearing on any type of phone with just the t-coil activated and will need something more than the Naida aids for that. I was shown neck coils and have read about the iCom.

I am not hearing voices well enough with just the aids and will need the FM system in groups and some other situations.

So where do I am I? Do I have to wear the neck coils and the FM or the iCom and the FM? Or, if I have an FM do I not need the neck coils or iCom. I do understand that the Phonak equipment is less cumbersome, but don't understand about whether I need separate items for phone and groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ann61
    Thanks so much, but I'm still confused. I am not hearing on any type of phone with just the t-coil activated and will need something more than the Naida aids for that. I was shown neck coils and have read about the iCom.

I am not hearing voices well enough with just the aids and will need the FM system in groups and some other situations.

So where do I am I? Do I have to wear the neck coils and the FM or the iCom and the FM? Or, if I have an FM do I not need the neck coils or iCom. I do understand that the Phonak equipment is less cumbersome, but don't understand about whether I need separate items for phone and groups.
    The iCom is basically a Bluetooth medium to connect to another bluetooth device like a blackberry Curve. It does not have a microphone that can be used as a transmitter to listen in group settings. Th iCom connects to a proprietary wireless connection that matches your Naidas. This is not the same as T-Coil.

The FM transmitter like the Contego is used for a group or one-on -one setting to help you tailor you hearing to focus on a certain person or group. It is not used for any connection to a device. The FM contego connects to your aids T-Coil setting. What makes the Contego FM is the FM connection from the device on the person to the remote transmitter that is placed near or on the speaker or speakers. The true FM transmitter has FM receivers that connect to a DAI boot (and plugged on the aid) or is integrated to the hearing aid (like mine)

Basically, it seems that it's possible to wear both devices at the same time (different connection protocols), but I believe it is cumbersome and you will feel like you have a rap artist medallion on your neck.

Where are you located? You might be able to test drive a FM or Bluetooth device to check it out before buying. For example, I can go to a CSD group that specializes in helping deaf or HH individuals with telecommunication devices and other things http://www.c-s-d.org/default.aspx?pageid=7
    ljjehl

Yes. I've made 3 trips to San Antonio's CSD office and tried a variety of neck coils and the Contego, but no Bluetooth coil that I noticed. I only wrote down the info for the one that seemed to work best. None were completely satisfactory. I was only able to try them in the office and it would take a day or two to really test drive.

Do many people with profound loss have to wear both the phone coils or iCom AND use the receivers/transmitters? Is that routine?

Quote Originally Posted by ann61
    Yes. I've made 3 trips to San Antonio's CSD office and tried a variety of neck coils and the Contego, but no Bluetooth coil that I noticed. I only wrote down the info for the one that seemed to work best. None were completely satisfactory. I was only able to try them in the office and it would take a day or two to really test drive.

Do many people with profound loss have to wear both the phone coils or iCom AND use the receivers/transmitters? Is that routine?
    I can't vouch for other users, but I basically use only the Naida UP aids until I get into a situation where I need to have the FM equipment. My aids are configured to work with most everyday situations.

The iCom is used basically only as a medium to connect to the phone,music player, recorder, or other bluetooth device, so this basically helps only with listening with telecommunication devices. There is also a jack slot to actually use a plug to connect to a 3.5 jack on the TV and music player device. In addition (I forgot) there is also a DAI slot on the iCom that can support a universal FM receiver so you can use a FM transmitter and have only ONE FM transmitter and ONE FM receiver that connects to both ears via the iCOM. You will then only need three things,
    an FM transmitter (ie. Smartlink SX - http://www.phonak.com/consumer/produ...smartlink.htm),
    FM receiver (Phonak mlxi- http://www.phonak.com/consumer/produ...s_new/mlxi.htm )
    and the iCom - http://www.phonak.com/consumer/produ...s/icom_use.htm
    Your load will be lighter with this combination.

Right here you saved about close to $700, since you need only one receiver instead of two. The Contego/iCom would probably be in the ballpark $1500, and the iCom/Smartlink/receiver about $2300, depending on where you get the equipment. I use a Smartlink/2 receiver combo that cost around the $3000 ballpark.

I have a profound ski slope hearing loss ranging from 90-120dB down the scale.

I think you really need to try your best to get the Naida aids adjusted to the maximum hearing threshold, then try out the FM equipment. I don't think you can use the FM Contego with the aids microphones, the Contego only works with the aids T-Coil connection. I'm not sure if the T-Coil has any type of adjustment available other than the enable/disable options.
    ljjehl