Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever buy from eBay?

1. Default Anyone ever buy from eBay?

Has anybody ever bought a hearing aid from eBay? I'm really leery to, especially since local audiologist would likely not program it. But considering the price, getting something for a few hundred dollars seems like a good deal. I guess you might have to get a new earmold made (such as for a CIC). I wonder, though, if buying something used might "get you buy" until you could afford a high-priced model?

In all likelihood, I realize that buying on eBay probably isn't the way to go. I'm just thinking aloud here and wondered if anyone had ever tried this?

3. Default

Geez, sorry about that. I gotta do a search before posting.

Thanks for the link.

Sometimes Search works, sometimes it a time sink.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
    Has anybody ever bought a hearing aid from eBay? I'm really leery to, especially since local audiologist would likely not program it. But considering the price, getting something for a few hundred dollars seems like a good deal. I guess you might have to get a new earmold made (such as for a CIC). I wonder, though, if buying something used might "get you buy" until you could afford a high-priced model?

In all likelihood, I realize that buying on eBay probably isn't the way to go. I'm just thinking aloud here and wondered if anyone had ever tried this?
    Yes. I think that many new users might think along the same lines, especially since one can get just about anything on Ebay.
    I got a sweet deal on some second hand HAs, and turned a small profit when I took advantage of the HA trade in offer
    It was a good experience, I got to fiddle with dials and learn how to put in batteries with none of the apprehension of cluelessly ditzing around with a set of HAs that cost thousands.

But at the same time I was reading and researching and realized that HAs are complex and they have to be programmed just for the person wearing them.
    If you find an audi that would do it for you, it might be OK. But audis are professionals like doctors and so on and you are paying for knowledge and experience, not just the small amount of time it takes to program, so by the time you are done it is possible that you might spend near what you would have spent on a new set from AH.

My hearing is precious and I saw what a good rep AH has. Their prices are reasonable, their service is excellent. So to me, getting a quality set of HAs that was made for me was worth the cost.
    Last edited by Lucille; 02-02-2009 at 04:54 AM.

6. Default Costco Signature2 - GEM

I am trying to compare this aid with other's - I was told that the Costco Signature2 was identical to the Rexton 125, but I could find no such Rexton aid. I did find a Rexton Gem 12 - but an internet site shows that to be very expensive:

Rexton Gem 12 RIC Hearing Aid
    List Price: $2,799.00
    Our Price:$1,999.00*
    (price per aid)

I don't think costco could sell an almost identical product for less than half price.

Secondly, does the Bernafon Brite have features that make it worth and additional $1,200 a pair.

These will be my first aids and I am just overwhelmed with information.
    Thanks for any help.

7. Default

In my opinion, the situations of buying from eBay is acceptable providing:
    1 it is Open Ear Model and I may change the tube easily.
    For CIC, it needs tailor made.
    2 it is programmable and easily to adjust with the PC.
    Going to the audiologist to get an audiogram, you may adjust it yourselves. For example, some manufacturer is selling the program kit at around $150.
    My audiogram is
    Frequen Right Left
    250 Hz :55DB 55DB
    500 Hz :55DB 55DB
    1000Hz :45 DB 45DB
    2000Hz :30DB 30DB
    4000Hz :15Db 25DB
    8000Hz :30Db 20DB

8. Default ebay hearing aide sites

I'm in the process of seeking BTE in canal hearing aides. I've explored Siemans Pure 500, Oticon Dual Mini 7, and Starkeys S Series.

After going to several hearing aide clinics, I realized that the bundling that they use would never allow me to afford this type of hearing aide.
    I than discovered several EBay sights. Try this one and you will be amazed. It is bidbybid. Thay have been on EBay for nine years, sold 15,000 hearing aided with ZERO negative responses. Their prices on Siemans Pure are much less than half of the stores that I visited. They program, offer a free thirty day trial period, and you can send aides to them with reprogram issues forever! It almost sounds too good, but I've researched them and they are real. I'm sure that there are more sights that will allow us to "conquer the bundling" that allows local providers to hide the real cost of service! Please advise if you find other sites, as I have not yet decided to buy!
    striper2@yahoo.com

bidbybid from my personal experience is highly reliable....competant and they sell aids for about 60% of what a typical professional charges. But they only sell Siemens. Siemens in my opinion make fine state of the art aids so this is usually not a problem.

So many of the other big name manufacturers will not sell to Ebay or internet retailers in order to secure the approval of their main customers....the professional audiologists and dispensers. That's just good business practice but it's not so good for consumers because it limits price competition. Ed

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ed121 View Post
    So many of the other big name manufacturers will not sell to Ebay or internet retailers in order to secure the approval of their main customers....the professional audiologists and dispensers. That's just good business practice but it's not so good for consumers because it limits price competition. Ed
    If you want big name aids such as Oticon/Phonak you might keep watching on EBay and Craigslist. From time to time a used set of hearing aids will be sold.

Be aware of which model is being sold. Usually it will be a generation back (or at least close to being replaced by newer technology). Though, that's not necessarily that bad.

Be very very aware of predators. Don't put your trust in PayPal guarantees. Understand and put your trust in credit card chargeback rights given to you by state and federal law. Insure that a PayPal payment is 100% funded via a credit card and not via PayPal balance, and not via your banking account. You will lose your credit card chargeback rights with the latter two funding methods. Your funding choices may be difficult and limited by PayPal if you buy and sell with the same PayPal account.