Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can hearing aids be re-fitted to another person?

1. Default Can hearing aids be re-fitted to another person?

I posted on this in the Digital aids section with no responses, so perhaps that was the wrong forum for this question.

My question is this: My mother was given a lightly used pair of Rexton model 34 hearing aids. Can these aids be re-fitted for her ears and re-adjusted for her particular hearing loss?

She vaguely remembers being told by one audiologist about a year ago that this could be done for about $400. Does that sound right? (She's still very sharp at 85, but does get things wrong from time to time.)

Any response would be very helpful since her birthday is next week and we'd like to do this re-fit as a birthday present, if possible.

Thank you,

Carroll

Your best bet is to ask local audiologists. If the aids are the behind the ear type it should be no problem getting earmolds for her and having the aids re-programmed for her loss. $400 would be the most I'd expect to pay for this.

If they are in-the-ear aids, you may find it difficult to find an audiologist willing to try to get the custom shells re-made to fit her ears. Again, if you can find someone to do it $400 to reprogram and re-shell a pair of aids isn't out of line.

Of course, all of this is contingent on whether or not the aids will even fit her loss profile. If her loss exceeds the fitting range of these aids, you may be out of luck. I'd expect to pay $125-$175 for the hearing tests and consultation to confirm this.
    Last edited by jay_man2; 06-03-2009 at 12:42 PM.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply.

These are in-the-ear aids. I thought the pricing sounded reasonable, so thanks for confirming that. I'll start checking with local audiologists.

4. Default Legal for Individual to Sell Used Hearing Aids?

Hi,

Mom just passed away and this past August we purchased new hearing aids for her. They are Siemens and they are made for inside the ear. Is there anyway we can re-sell them? I called Sertoma where I purchased them and they said there was nothing they could do for us. Is is ok to sell used hearing aids?

I do not know the legality of doing this, so I asked someone. That person said: I've watched many hearing aids being sold on Ebay, garage sales, and some pawn/thrift shops. I've yet to hear of anyone being shut down for that.

Comment from guide: I suppose it is not that different from buying hearing aids on the internet. You still have to have an audiologist service the hearing aids and program them.

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skinandvein View Post
    Hi,

Mom just passed away and this past August we purchased new hearing aids for her. They are Siemens and they are made for inside the ear. Is there anyway we can re-sell them? I called Sertoma where I purchased them and they said there was nothing they could do for us. Is is ok to sell used hearing aids?

I do not know the legality of doing this, so I asked someone. That person said: I've watched many hearing aids being sold on Ebay, garage sales, and some pawn/thrift shops. I've yet to hear of anyone being shut down for that.

Comment from guide: I suppose it is not that different from buying hearing aids on the internet. You still have to have an audiologist service the hearing aids and program them.

thanks!
    if it is a bte technically it can be re fitted

I don't see why not. I have had ITE aids made for me that didn't fit properly (feedback problems) which were sent back by my audiologist to have the molds redone. I assume all the interior parts were taken from to poor fitting aid and transferred to the new molds, but I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    I don't see why not. I have had ITE aids made for me that didn't fit properly (feedback problems) which were sent back by my audiologist to have the molds redone. I assume all the interior parts were taken from to poor fitting aid and transferred to the new molds, but I'm guessing.
    is this legal?

what happens to all the instruments who gets return for credit

any ideas?

I would think that like anything else that something sent back for credit or a refund allows the company to do what they want with it, assuming the item isn't defective. I wouldn't be surprised if companies donate returns to charitable organizations thus allowing themselves a huge tax write off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hask12 View Post
    I would think that like anything else that something sent back for credit or a refund allows the company to do what they want with it, assuming the item isn't defective. I wouldn't be surprised if companies donate returns to charitable organizations thus allowing themselves a huge tax write off.
    somehow this has to be factor in the costs of the HI. If manf. are forced with this losses. Ultimately they will pass on to the consumer right>?

I would think everything is passed on to the consumer and I think almost all businesses do that.