Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hearing aids hurt

Default hearing aids hurt

Hi. Does anyone have this problem? For the last 2 years, since I bought my 1st pair of HA's (Oticon Deltas), I have had extreme discomfort with the speaker irritating my ear canal. After about 2 hours I feel like throwing them against the wall! I have tried everything- different sized domes, ear molds, and using just the speaker alone and gritting my teeth. I have never read anywhere about someone complaining about HA's hurting. I talked to a couple of people recently and they said that their BTE's are so comfortable they forget to take them out and go to sleep w/them in. The problem is either: 1. MY ear canal is extremely sensitive and/or 2.the speaker is not going into my ear canal at the right angle. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do about it? My audiologist has never encountered this problem.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    Hi. Does anyone have this problem? For the last 2 years, since I bought my 1st pair of HA's (Oticon Deltas), I have had extreme discomfort with the speaker irritating my ear canal. After about 2 hours I feel like throwing them against the wall! I have tried everything- different sized domes, ear molds, and using just the speaker alone and gritting my teeth. I have never read anywhere about someone complaining about HA's hurting. I talked to a couple of people recently and they said that their BTE's are so comfortable they forget to take them out and go to sleep w/them in. The problem is either: 1. MY ear canal is extremely sensitive and/or 2.the speaker is not going into my ear canal at the right angle. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do about it? My audiologist has never encountered this problem.
    Thanks.
    I had similiar issues years ago - I've since use earmolds that are made of hypo-allergenic materials or I would get terrible irritation and itching. Many earmold vendors offer a variety of materials - hard, soft, etc.

I've also needed to see a dermatologist to give me some ear ointment (medicine) to help clear it up - even with hypo-allergenic earmold material.
    Hz..250.....500...1K.....2K......3K......4K.....6K ......8K
    L....-10....-10....-10....-10.....-10.....-10.....-10....-10 (with Cochlear Implant) otherwise it would the same as my Right ear !!
    R....-95....-85....-95...-120...-120....-120...-105...-105

Cochlear Freedom Implanted 11/30/11, Activated 12/21/11 with Cochlear N5, switched to N6 June, 2014

Phonak Naida Q70 with Phonak Roger / Right Ear

Formerly Phonak Naida IX with FM in Right & Left Ears;
    Formerly Oticon 380P with FM

Unhappy Ear Hurts

I had a similar situation when I was first filled last year.
    My problem may have been two fold:

1) A pecular lump or bump in my canal

2) An allergic reaction to the material

In any case, the Audi tried a number of different materials and payed particular attention to the shape of the canal...cutting and sanding until things improved.

This all seemed to be isolated to my right ear....left is just fine.
    I can say that the situation is much better but I do need to take my right aid out a couple times a day and rub or message the ear canal a while. It is not perfect but much better.

I have decided that I just have a sensitive spot in there somewhere. Some days are fine while others are a real pain. Usually just pushing and wiggling the ear mold eases the discomfort.

Keep working on the problem until things improve. My audi keeps trying and trying to make an improvement. She wants me to be totally satisfied. I can not ask for more.

Good luck,
    Peter

there is earmold gels you can buy to help with this problem
    [SIZE="5"]I am pround to a teenage with disabities and I am not ashamed to use gearHidden Content [/SIZE]

Thanks for all your responses. The problem is not dermatological. I think it has to do w/the curve of my ear canal- which must be very unusually shaped. The Delta speakers are approx. 1/2" long and obviously do not bend. I'm almost at the last of my warranty period- the audi said she will take another ear mold impression. But I do not see how new molds will help. What are GEL molds?
    Thanks you guys.

I've had this problem, too. Had it with Delta's, older models of America Hears (these were not RITE's, but at that time the tubes were very inflexible). I've had it with almost everything that was a RITE (Siemens speakers are somewhat curved which is a little better).

I recently tried Bernafon Verite. Their speaker seems to be the smallest, but I've just about decided that I'm not going to go with a RITE, not only due to comfort but also due to replacement cost of tubes/speaker assembly and more maintenance (wax guards, etc.). The last three places I've talked to have all recommended non-RITE open-fit HA's. I was surprised at first due to a year or so ago everyone was recommending RITE's.

Thanks. What are RITES? What did you end up with that are comfortable? Aren't all BTE speakers, speaker wires pretty much the same? I need BTE's.
    Thanks so much everyone w/helping.

RITE = Receiver In The Ear

The word 'Receiver' is also referred to as 'Speaker'
    Hz..250.....500...1K.....2K......3K......4K.....6K ......8K
    L....-10....-10....-10....-10.....-10.....-10.....-10....-10 (with Cochlear Implant) otherwise it would the same as my Right ear !!
    R....-95....-85....-95...-120...-120....-120...-105...-105

Cochlear Freedom Implanted 11/30/11, Activated 12/21/11 with Cochlear N5, switched to N6 June, 2014

Phonak Naida Q70 with Phonak Roger / Right Ear

Formerly Phonak Naida IX with FM in Right & Left Ears;
    Formerly Oticon 380P with FM

OK, so what do I do? What HA has a minuscule speaker/receiver compared to the Delta's? Can the speaker wires be reshaped so they will not make the speakers press against the inside of my ear canal?
    Thanks for all your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by hilary View Post
    Thanks. What are RITES? What did you end up with that are comfortable? Aren't all BTE speakers, speaker wires pretty much the same? I need BTE's.
    Thanks so much everyone w/helping.
    I gues my point is that depending on your loss, maybe you do not need a speaker / receiver in the ear. Before there were RITEs, the spaker was housed with the rest of the hearing aid, and the sound was transmitted through the tubes. Since the speaker is not in the ear, the domes and whatever else goes in the ear might be less irritating or whatever.

I still haven't bought but I'm getting ready to try either the Siemens Life 500 or the Unitron Next Moda. Neither of these are RITES.

You can see them at www.precisehearing.com/