Thread: Have HA's improved much in last few years

1. Default Have HA's improved much in last few years

In last 15 years I've been through 5 pairs of hearing aids...CIC which occlusion drove up a wall onto now Open Ear which I dearly love. Except for few chirps here and there they are very comfortable BUT like all HA before them 2 years alter I find I cannot understand words from people beyond a few feet from me.

Two years and $3500 later I again am looking for a better Open Ear hearing aid. Looking at my audiogram below can anyone suggest an Open Ear hearing aid they think I would be happy with.

Thank you and Happy Holiday
    125 55-35
    250 45-40
    500 55-55
    1000 60-65
    2000 60-60
    4000 60-55
    8000 70-65

Dateed 2008

I suggest you look at mid range Siemens such as the Motion 500 or Life 500 and get the proPocket remote and a selection of domes from open to double closed so you can experiment and see what works bet for you.

Another good choice is the Unitron Latitude 16 Moda 13. Again get the remote and some extra domes.

Online you can get a pair of these programmed and sent to you for around $3000 and have a 45 day return period with no restocking fee.

Each generation of hearing aid technology improves the two most critical features for us hearing impaired, noise and feedback reduction. For example on a pair of 2 year old Resound Azures I am constantly turning them down to get out of feedback. On a pair of Starkey S Series 11 I am trying I can hardly get any feedback even cupping my hands over my ears.

This means we can get more gain in areas we need it the most for understanding speech without being irritated with people telling us our aids are making a terrible noise.

Noise reduction is also improving. While this is hard to quantify I can tell improvements when I go from an older pair of hearing aids to new ones. It is most noticeable with mechanical noise such as riding in a vehicle but it is also some better in restaurants also.
    Cheers,

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hearing loss:

Start at 20 and draw a straight line to 80 in both ears Hidden Content

3. Default

Thanks so much for this very thorough reply. May I ask you what you mean by "other domes" and "remote"? My last pair of Open Ear aids came with one soft peice that was put into the ear and no remote.

Is $3000/pair the going rate these days for decent hearing aids? Seems to me we are put in a position of spendimg $3000=$5000 every 3 to 5 years. The way I look at it is we rent these things for $100 a month (inclouding insurance for the remaining non covered years)

Rant, rant,rant
    125 55-35
    250 45-40
    500 55-55
    1000 60-65
    2000 60-60
    4000 60-55
    8000 70-65

Dateed 2008

Domes, the little mushroom shaped pieces on the end of the tube that goes in your ear now come in a larger than ever variety. The original open domes left your ear canal about 70% open.

Now, we have domes that are closed to expand the fitting capabilities of "open" fit hearing aids. They are still very comfortable but hold in more sound and combat feedback. The whole reason for these closed domes is to expand the fitting range of open ear hearing aids to people with more hearing loss. I'm one of them.

Remote controls have been around for a while but have really advanced in the last couple of years. As the aids have become smaller and smaller so they are virtually invisible when worn the real estate on the aids for controls has disappeared. Now remotes can give you volume adjustment, tone control, learn features, and even BlueTooth capabilities.

I continually tell people not to be so concerned with brand names of hearing aids but rather with the features they need for their particular lifestyle.
    Cheers,

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hearing loss:

Start at 20 and draw a straight line to 80 in both ears Hidden Content