Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Analogs Better than Digitals??

1. Default Are Analogs Better than Digitals??

While digital hearing aids have better processors, better circuits, and more precision control over frequency and channels, are they better than Analog?

I asked myself this question as I was given the demonstration of the WOW! hearing aid (the insertable analog hearing aid like the Lyric) and thought to myself how much more durable analogs were.

They last a lot longer than digitals and they do provide a lot of benefit - the only trouble is background noise, but usually the brain takes care of that over time... what do you guys think?

2. Default

weaksauce....

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JgearyAud View Post
    While digital hearing aids have better processors, better circuits, and more precision control over frequency and channels, are they better than Analog?

I asked myself this question as I was given the demonstration of the WOW! hearing aid (the insertable analog hearing aid like the Lyric) and thought to myself how much more durable analogs were.

They last a lot longer than digitals and they do provide a lot of benefit - the only trouble is background noise, but usually the brain takes care of that over time... what do you guys think?
    From what I've read, analog hearing aids are less complicated, are reliable in performing a few hearing features (as opposed to the many hearing features of digital hearing aids), require less repairing or maintenance, have better battery life and cost less.

Let's see digital has better this better that more precise this and that, but are they better? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by JgearyAud View Post

You mean linear...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkie View Post
    From what I've read, analog hearing aids are less complicated, are reliable in performing a few hearing features (as opposed to the many hearing features of digital hearing aids), require less repairing or maintenance, have better battery life and cost less.
    Why is this so?

The only battery trade-off issue is for extra functionality (feedback manager, music streaming etc).

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Why is this so?

The only battery trade-off issue is for extra functionality (feedback manager, music streaming etc).
    I'm not a technology expert, but I have seen/read the specs of many analog devices that show an average battery life that exceeds digital by a factor of 2x or 3x. As for requiring less repairing or maintenance, I think it has to do with the fact that analog devices have less specs (or functionality). Also, most of those who have/had analog devices have reported durability (10 years of more), less repairing or maintenance, etc.

I'm not a technology expert, but I have seen/read the specs of many analog devices that show an average battery life that exceeds digital by a factor of 2x or 3x. As for requiring less repairing or maintenance, I think it has to do with the fact that analog devices have less specs (or functionality). Also, most of those who have/had analog devices have reported durability (10 years of more), less repairing or maintenance, etc.
    I'd suggest that you might be misinterpreting those figures, or not have like for like comparisons.

Durability has practically nothing to do with the chip and practically everything to do with the design of the housings that protect the componentry. Manufacturer return data will tell you that CIC (digital or analogue) will share similar return rates.

Please don't assume I've got an axe to grind, it's just that you are equating characteristics to digital and analogue that aren't evidenced by the industry figures.

I have found there to be no difference what so ever regarding durability and battery life now that I wear digital aids. But that's just my personal experience.

10. Default re analogues

Hear hear!! I couldn't agree more. I've had my Phonaks for over 15yrs how's that!! But...they are in need of repair and I just can't get on with those noisy digitals that are useless for music!! I've met so many people in England UK who have complained that they break down too quickly, too expensive, pick up too much sound despite being on linear programmes - they all want analogues back they can still make them but think that digital is best - no it's technology gone backwards!! Julia