Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding the nose and forcing air

Default Holding the nose and forcing air

....not sure the right phrasing for this....

I was told years and years ago it is a good idea to hold my nose and gently force air out until the ears give way.
    I do it all the time and it helps my hearing.

Recently I asked my audiologist about it and she said it is not a good idea....

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ikoiko View Post
    ....not sure the right phrasing for this....

I was told years and years ago it is a good idea to hold my nose and gently force air out until the ears give way.
    I do it all the time and it helps my hearing.

Recently I asked my audiologist about it and she said it is not a good idea....

thoughts?
    Essentially you are just pressurising your middle ears, which can give temporarily improved hearing as the middle ear in over inflated and the ear drum extra tight and more sensitive to sound vibrations. This over inflation clears as soon as you swallow or chew and Eustachian tube re-equalises to keep the pressure in the middle ear the same as in the ear canal. The problem with doing this is you might actuallyforce bacteria into your middle ears at times (when you have a cold etc.), which raises the risk of middle ear infection. You could also possibly make the Eustachina tubes flacid by forcing air through them them all the time, causing problems later on,although I unsure how likely this would be to happen.
    Audiologist in Private practice on the Gold Coast, Australia with a clinics in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Chatswood as well.

For some reason this just doesn't sound like a good thing to do.

Hearnow,
    Thanks for the reply and makes sense. It does help for a few minutes, like you said.

I have not done it as much as I use to; although i did do when I flew*

Thanks,

C

*I actually was a passenger in an airplane, I can not fly without the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by ikoiko View Post
    Hearnow,

*I actually was a passenger in an airplane, I can not fly without the airplane.
    Now that would have been a very interesting matter on its own

Happyy New Year
    Audiologist in Private practice on the Gold Coast, Australia with a clinics in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Chatswood as well.

Well, I do the same thing. I have to do it or I wouldn't be able to hear anything.

7. Default

Maybe some of the same people who find this helpful would be helped by these ear popping things that blow air up your nose for you to swallow? I am not sure how and why those are safer, I am trying to understand the mechanism involved but I don't get it. Just thinking that if you get good relief from blowing out your ears maybe these devices are worth a thought.

Anyway, I was just originally going to say don't do this to try to blow out high pressures like after flying cos if it's not successful you perforate your eardrum instead...

Try chewing gum.

9. Default Valsalva maneuver

Here is a link to Wikipedia on the Valsalva Maneuver, what you are all talking about, hope it helps. I say try it lightly, it should work immediately. If not try swallowing.

If this is something that is persistent and bothersome talk with an primary care doctor or otolaryngologist. Or sometimes just a simple decongestant helps clear up the eustachian tube.
    Hearing Loss
    -----------------------
    Right: Profound Hearing Loss (CI)
    Left: Moderate to Profound Hearing Loss
    Frequency---Left Ear
    250-----------55
    500-----------70
    1000----------70
    1500----------90
    2000----------110
    3000-8000---NR

10. Default

The other day I put in my hearing aids and my ear felt sore with pressure. This happens reasonably frequently because I have full domes, and sometimes a bit too much air gets squashed in under them, or else they start to pull out and I can feel them drag on my eardrum. So I thought I would equalise the pressure by doing this maneouvre. Must have been the wrong way, I added more pressure instead of taking some away or whatever, but it was absolute agony and I ripped the aid straight out of my ear and it was ringing for hours.

So I guess what I am saying is go carefully doing anything to a faulty pair of ears!