Thread: A general curiosity...

Default A general curiosity...

I have some exposure to loudness in my past, marching music, printing presses, farm equipment, etc., thats likely part of my hearing loss.

I also was in an accident in 92. I hit a parked truck at 60. My head hit the windshield. Its safe to say it hit pretty hard.

I realize its sort of moot, but I wonder how much of my loss (I know mine is moderate) is related to that wreck.

Is there a typical type of audio that results from head impact? Or, is it random?

Just curious...
    Hi!Hidden Content Dick
    Hidden Content
    Or Hidden Content for my "speech Banana"

Smile

It's pretty likely that a good bit of your hearing loss is due to the trauma of the accident. How much exactly - I couldn't be sure.

Hearing loss from noise exposure affects the high frequencies first, with the hearing at 4 kHz being the most affected (or most hearing loss at the frequency). We in Audiology actually call it a "noise notch". This occurs because of the way the cochlea winds itself around in your ear. The cochlea is essentially your hearing organ located in the inner ear. Because of its orientation in the head, the high frequencies are left more susceptible to noise exposure.

More of your loss is in the mid and low frequencies, which we often see in patients with head/ear trauma.

dr. amy
    www.montgomeryent.com

I wondered if that was the case. It is, what it is, in any case.

I ended up with a fused back, and three shoulder surgeries due to that wreck, too.

Oddly enough, I walked away. Beat up, but walk I did.
    Hi!Hidden Content Dick
    Hidden Content
    Or Hidden Content for my "speech Banana"