Thread: One Party :(

1. Default One Party :(

Last Friday I went to a party and there was loud music playing. I didn't want to be the only one wearing ear plugs and look like a dork (and they aren't exactly discreet with their bright colors) which was, I now realize, a huge mistake. Since the party my ears have been ringing constantly (I think it might be tinnitus) and I've been having trouble hearing people even when they're talking right to me. Before this one party my hearing was exceptional. Now I'm feeling really depressed because I feel like I've pretty much ruined my hearing. I didn't expect one party to do so much damage. Lesson learned but is there any way to fix this? I feel just awful and the ringing is starting to make me go insane.
    Last edited by goneinaflash; 02-10-2010 at 09:50 AM.

I understand your dilemma and hear this complaint often. You are most likely experiencing what we call a Temporary Threshold Shift. TTS comes from noise exposure and is normally accompanied by tinnitus (the ringing).

The good news is that it is VERY uncommon for a person to permanently lose their hearing due to an isolated incident of noise exposure. The hearing typically returns to normal in a week or so, and the tinnitus will most likely subside as well.

But the concerning part is that any time you experience Temporary Threshold Shift and tinnitus, you have exposed your ears to dangerous levels of sound. You can get custom musicians plugs to protect your hearing that fit well inside your ear (only a small part is visible) and they can be made in flesh colors so that they are less noticeable.

Over time, as you expose your ears to more and more dangerous levels of sound, the Temporary Threshold Shifts will give way to Permanent Threshold Shifts (permanent hearing loss) and the tinnitus will remain permanent.

I know you dont want to feel like a dork - but if you dont want to wear hearing protection, you'll end up having to wear hearing aids, which people will notice anyway. There's nothing dorky about taking good care of yourself

Hope that helps!

dr. amy
    www.montgomeryent.com

3. Default

Hello dr. amy, you given really nice tips and I think it will help goneinaflash. I have one more question that is it possible to suddenly loss your hearing power?? And sometimes I feel like a long beep is sounding in my ears and nothing else I can here. What does it mean?? Is there anything serious??

You would need a hearing evaluation for me to answer questions like yours with certainity. But yes - suddden hearing loss does happen for some patients, usually accompanied by tinnitus (the long beep you hear).

dr. amy
    www.montgomeryent.com

5. Default

Some of the cheaper ear plugs can also be trimmed to size to be less noticable. You have to check the specific instructions for each one, but the sort I have which have a choice of attenuators for different frequencies which slide out you can trim the body of the plug to fit deeper in your ear and trim the attenuator part so nothing sticks out martian-style. You need a new strategy for pulling them out, cos the whole thing disappears into your ear so far you can't pull the handle as normal to release them, but I also now get a far, far better seal. You can choose the attenuator for the type of noise you are likely to come up against so it's still possible to hear other sorts of noises. They weren't expensive either, £16 for the set, so a lot cheaper than custom models. But custom models pale into comparison to the cost of hearing aids, so what price retaining your hearing?

Keep an eye on this and see a doctor if your ears are still ringing in 5 days, or it becomes painful or gets worse.

dr. amy's assessment is very correct... I would highly encourage you to visit an Audiologist to see what, if any, damage may have been done. Typically, with TTS, your hearing comes back relatively quickly (within a matter of a day or two) and is rare for your decreased hearing and tinnitus to last beyond this.

funeardoc
    -----------------------
    Right: Mild sensorineural hearing loss (noise notch)
    Left: Moderate sensorineural hearing loss (noise notch)
    Frequency---Left Ear-----Right Ear
    250-----------15------------10
    500-----------10------------15
    1000----------20------------20
    1500----------30------------25
    2000----------35------------30
    3000----------50------------40
    4000----------55------------35
    6000----------40------------15
    8000----------10------------5
    -----------------------

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by goneinaflash View Post
    Last Friday I went to a party and there was loud music playing. I didn't want to be the only one wearing ear plugs and look like a dork (and they aren't exactly discreet with their bright colors) which was, I now realize, a huge mistake. Since the party my ears have been ringing constantly (I think it might be tinnitus) and I've been having trouble hearing people even when they're talking right to me. Before this one party my hearing was exceptional. Now I'm feeling really depressed because I feel like I've pretty much ruined my hearing. I didn't expect one party to do so much damage. Lesson learned but is there any way to fix this? I feel just awful and the ringing is starting to make me go insane.
    I guess the ringing has stopped by now?
    I go to many concerts(have done so for many years).One time I had ringing for 3 days.That was a total shock.Freaked me out.
    I did not realize effects of noise on ones ears.NOWADAYS I always have ear plugs handy if needed.Notice many people wear them also.To protect your ears if need be/.
    I assume the ringing has stopped by now?Like mine did?

But,I do now suffer from hearing loss.BUT it is partly genetic.Maybe a bit worse cos of all concerts/loud music--when i did not understand to protect ones ears.I did not start to notice loss of hearing till in my 40s.
    My mum the same.
    Let me know how your ears are now?

I am pretty sure you would be ok now---