Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About Um bongo (real name also Steve)

Default About Um bongo (real name also Steve)

Hope this helps anybody who is interested......

I originally studied Electro-Mechanical (Combined) Engineering at Coventry, then went on to do some Manufacturing Systems Engineering at Cardiff.

This eventually resulted in me joining Knowles Electronics (google it) in the mid 1990s in UK tech projects for few years. Then went on to Puretone who were supplying the Med-Rx systems into the UK at the time, before doing my dispensing exams (at the same time as English Dispenser) and qualifying here.

I've been running my own business for 5 years (www.celtichearing.com) and I'm domiciled in West Wales (UK). Fitting ethos for me has always to find the customers the best level of technology combined with comfort and ease of use: this has resulted in lots of 'Open' fits of all styles and some good battles with feedback and wax.......

Also available on Facebook: Here

And a bit of blogging too - some of it shamelessly borrowed from the exchanges on these forums: Here
    Last edited by Um bongo; 11-21-2012 at 05:11 AM.

2. Default

And why "um bongo" - or did you get it in the jungle?

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I wondered the same, but google revealed Um bongo to be a favourite drink that people are petitioning to get back on the market. Maybe he really liked it ?
    Audiologist in Private practice on the Gold Coast, Australia with a clinics in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Chatswood as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Just for fun : it's also my log-in on a Welsh Rugby forum, and it pays not to have too many x-word log-in combinations.

I think us audiologist sometimes get tarred as being a bit dull and "beige".... glad to see a sense of humour! - maybe it's in the name Steve - but we both have silly usernames
    audiogram l/r: 250 25/30, 500 30/30, 1k 45/55, 2k 40/50, 3k 45/50, 4k 40/50, 6k 45/55, 8k 50/50

My professional details can be found in the 'Hidden Content ' section of the forum

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    Hope this helps anybody who is interested......

I originally studied Electro-Mechanical (Combined) Engineering at Coventry, then went on to do some Manufacturing Systems Engineering at Cardiff.

This eventually resulted in me joining Knowles Electronics (google it) in the mid 1990s in UK tech projects for few years. Then went on to Puretone who were supplying the Med-Rx systems into the UK at the time, before doing my dispensing exams (at the same time as English Dispenser) and qualifying here.

I've been running my own business for 5 years (www.celtichearing.com) and I'm domiciled in West Wales (UK). Fitting ethos for me has always to find the customers the best level of technology combined with comfort and ease of use: this has resulted in lots of 'Open' fits of all styles and some good battles with feedback and wax.......
    what do you think about medrx products

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder View Post
    what do you think about medrx products

You have to try at least one, even if it's only to get on the training course with Mike Poe in Seminole County.

I use the Avant in my main centre - which works really well for me. I'm tempted to get the portable office audiometer too, but I don't know if I could justify the full REM kit. Having sold the system here, I'm pretty happy with the way that it all hangs together, though I have to be honest I don't use live speech mapping as much as I used to. That's primarily due to the move away from custom ITE aids over the past five years, as well as proper in-situ audiometry functions on most manufacturers that I use.

I don't use their V/O as it's cumbersome and expensive for what it does, mine's an Earcam with the LED and image capture box: that works well with the Avant SW though for keeping the V/O images alongside the patient record. The big benefit about an in-line image capture, is that if you have a Noah crash before the session is saved it will still have the V/O pictures in it's memory, while the autorecovery on the Avant will retain the audiogram.

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    You have to try at least one, even if it's only to get on the training course with Mike Poe in Seminole County.

I use the Avant in my main centre - which works really well for me. I'm tempted to get the portable office audiometer too, but I don't know if I could justify the full REM kit. Having sold the system here, I'm pretty happy with the way that it all hangs together, though I have to be honest I don't use live speech mapping as much as I used to. That's primarily due to the move away from custom ITE aids over the past five years, as well as proper in-situ audiometry functions on most manufacturers that I use.

I don't use their V/O as it's cumbersome and expensive for what it does, mine's an Earcam with the LED and image capture box: that works well with the Avant SW though for keeping the V/O images alongside the patient record. The big benefit about an in-line image capture, is that if you have a Noah crash before the session is saved it will still have the V/O pictures in it's memory, while the autorecovery on the Avant will retain the audiogram.
    I never really like the graphics on the Medrx products. When it come to REM the best machine out there for me is the verifit- the only downsize is their poor noah module.
    But I can live with out this, viewport is amazing and now it has a new alg. for verifiing
    frequency compression - transposition.

I do own a Video Otoscope which I like. I must confess I prefer my new Otocam.
    I also own a couple or rejuveair which are amazing.. I heard Medrx is cheap
    is really the case?

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder View Post
    I never really like the graphics on the Medrx products. When it come to REM the best machine out there for me is the verifit- the only downsize is their poor noah module.
    But I can live with out this, viewport is amazing and now it has a new alg. for verifiing
    frequency compression - transposition.

I do own a Video Otoscope which I like. I must confess I prefer my new Otocam.
    I also own a couple or rejuveair which are amazing.. I heard Medrx is cheap
    is really the case?
    I don't know how Med-Rx compare in the US on price with the other manufacturers, but I know it's not the cheapest option here.

The main reason for using it was the speech-mapping and the integration of all the devices running above Noah, which standardises all my audiograms.

10. Default

Question: just out of curiosity, does the British health care system provide hearing aids, and if so, how many and how long is the wait?