Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home programming

1. Default Home programming

If we assume that I can source and afford all of these items, can you home program a Phonak CORE aid with iPFG and an iCube or is there anything else you need? The iCube seems rather cheap compared to the HiPro and the $100 cables sets so I am suspicious it would turn out I need way more than that. Or is this really all you need?

I know, I know, usual arguments in favour of in-office programming, but my audiologist is truly pointless and I don't have a choice.

The Phonak iCube will not do HI firmware up dates. Otherwise it does all programming on CORE aids. This is what I have read and also first hand experienced with my Nadia V SP and Exelia Micro aids.

Good luck
    Rick

Hz...250.500..1K..2K..3K...4K..8K
    Right.25...30..40..60..85.110..NR
    Left...25...35..50..60..80.110..NR

3. Default

A certain amount of luck may be needed in order to get your hands on an iCube.

Quote Originally Posted by Raudrive View Post
    The Phonak iCube will not do HI firmware up dates. Otherwise it does all programming on CORE aids. This is what I have read and also first hand experienced with my Nadia V SP and Exelia Micro aids.

Good luck
    Raudrive, sorry for my ignorance, but what is HI firmware updates?
    I am in the process of researching to see if I can do my own fine tuning, and so far I think I would be ok if given the opportunity. I also might be able to get my hands on a iCube or HiPro - dont know the prices yet, but if the iCube is cheaper I would go for that, but dont want to buy it if I need something else too.
    Proud wearer of Naida IX Hidden Content

__.25 _.5 _.75 .1k _.1.5 _2k _ .3k __4k __7k _8k
    L _05 _15 _30 _65 _100 105 _105 _105 _95 _85
    R_ 10 _15 _45 _80 _95_.110 _105 _110 _100 85

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Gaba-gal View Post
    Raudrive, sorry for my ignorance, but what is HI firmware updates?

I second that question. If there is going to turn out to be something I can't do then I won't spend the money it's all or nothing before I part with a penny. But if a firmware update isn't something hugely important then I'll go without.

HI stands for hearing instrument.

The firmware in the aids is pretty much the same thing as software in your PC or laptop. When iPFG 2.5 and then 2.5a came out, there were firmware updates for a number of aids. I know the Nadia V SP and Exelia Micro aids I bought needed updates. I would bet there are others.

If you had someone who would help you with updates the iCube would be fine. I would think the updates are important.

Maybe one of the pros will chime in with a better response.

Good luck
    Rick

Hz...250.500..1K..2K..3K...4K..8K
    Right.25...30..40..60..85.110..NR
    Left...25...35..50..60..80.110..NR

Quote Originally Posted by Raudrive View Post
    HI stands for hearing instrument.

The firmware in the aids is pretty much the same thing as software in your PC or laptop. When iPFG 2.5 and then 2.5a came out, there were firmware updates for a number of aids. I know the Nadia V SP and Exelia Micro aids I bought needed updates. I would bet there are others.

If you had someone who would help you with updates the iCube would be fine. I would think the updates are important.

Maybe one of the pros will chime in with a better response.

Good luck
    That's pretty much it, they are like the essential updates that Windows does from time to time, when something has been identified that needs fixing or improving. Without them, the aid will still continue to work in its present form.

8. Default

So would you lose any future upgradability? Say you didn't have firmware updates and they upgraded the fitting software you run the risk of your aid not being compatible with the new fitting software? Or do you run the risk of any major flaws that are spotted. If we take the Windows updates as an example, some updates are essential to get future updates, some updates are important security updates or important updates to make something work which should have already worked when you bought the thing. Yet other updates are something kinda nice for some people but not important if you don't want them, like junk mail filter updates which are great if you want them, useless if you have junk filtering switched off!

To what extent to firmware updates fall into any of these categories?

I any case it's a step up from my current situation because I'd never be getting any firmware updates from the "here's your hearing aid, come back if it breaks" kind of system we have here. There's no routine follow-up or aftercare anyway.

As far as I understand it, the firmware updates are included in the latest version of the fitting software, which is becoming increasingly hard to obtain for us mere mortals.

I would very much like to obtain an iCube as a much more cost effective option to HiPro and cables, even though it would not allow firmware upgrades, but these also are not available to ordinary citizens.

This is making the whole issue of self-programming an academic subject to those of us who would really appreciate the opportunity to do a little tweaking at home and save our audiologists' time for more important stuff.

So, if anyone can find a source for iCubes we will all beat a path to your door to get one.

Gilbert

10. Default

If you have the latest version of the fitting software then you have the firmware upgrades (available inside the software)

All known sources for iCube get shutdown quickly by popular demand.