Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi! Im new to this forum. I have a lot of experience fitting hearing aids

1. Default

Allen and BlueSumos,

Thanks for the great responses! I needed to hear that basic intro information and I'll feel a lot more informed when I meet with the audiologist. I had to chuckle at the paddle comment . . . it's not that I don't respect their need to make money. I just don't want them steering me to "Brand X" only because they'll win a cruise this month if they sell 25 pairs.

2. Default Interton Avio 5

Hi Mike,

I have on trial an Interton A560-D for my left ear and are very happy with the results. I have been offered a A560-D HPG for my right ear and wonder if this is the best way to go?

My Audiogram
    0250Hz R-70 L-30
    0500Hz R-70 L-20
    1000Hz R-75 L-20
    1500Hz R-55 L-20
    2000Hz R-70 L-20
    3000Hz R-60 L-30
    4000Hz R-80 L-50
    6000Hz R-70 L-65
    8000Hz R-75 L-75

Quote Originally Posted by Wallen View Post
    You have an assymetrical hearing loss.

Most of the time I've fitted this type of loss I do it monaurally. I don't think you'd perceive much benefit with an aid in the better ear. Some day maybe, but right now I'd advise you to get just one aid.

There are 6 major mfgs worlwide. That's it.

Phonak, Oticon, Widex, Resound, Siemens and Starkey.

Phonak, Oticon, Widex are the technology leaders, while Starkey is improving quickly in the tech area.

Each of them offer a top of the line, a middle and an entry level product.

A top of the line aid would run you $2500-3500.

Middle is $1500-2500

Entry level about $1000-2000.

They all are built in various styles, CIC, BTE, ITE etc etc. , you could wear any of them.

Some of the high end features, like connectivity, don't apply to monaural fits,,,,so you don't need it.

Talk to various audiologists, put your trust in him/her and go with their rec.

You better hope they have a profit motive.

If they go out of business you're up sh_t's creek with no paddle.

Allen

PS I'm an audiologist in SoCal
    "Starkey is improving in the tech Area" - Doubt it- its been already over 3yrs and
    -NO wireless Streaming
    -NO wireless coordination
    -NO wirless sincronization
    -NO Multiband directionality
    -NO Large bandwith
    -NO Frequency transposition/compression

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder View Post
    "Starkey is improving in the tech Area" - Doubt it- its been already over 3yrs and
    -NO wireless Streaming
    -NO Large bandwith

Their feedback suppresion is impressive.

Again, I don't put them on the same plane as the top flight companies,,but they are improving.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallen View Post
    You have an assymetrical hearing loss.

Most of the time I've fitted this type of loss I do it monaurally. I don't think you'd perceive much benefit with an aid in the better ear. Some day maybe, but right now I'd advise you to get just one aid.
    Why would you only fit that loss monaurally?

Is the following the correct loss?

L R
    250 20 10
    500 25 10
    750 40 N/A
    1K 50 15
    1.5K N/A 20
    2K 65 40
    4K 75 55
    8K 65 65

6. Default reverse slope loss

Hi Mike...I am waiting for Costco's be resound for my right ear...I can't afford 2 right now...I would love to know of some aids that are better for this loss...I have learned that BTE with custom molds are better...I had Cielo 2's and couldn't get used to them...then I lost them..I was okay with the BTE's just heard too much other stuff...I teach kindergarten and I had them in and out all day long...any input from you would be appreciated...
    RightHL/LeftHL
    500-60/60
    1000-55/60
    2000-45/40
    3000-40/20
    4000-25/15
    8000-20/20
    I have 90 days to try costco's and I do like the audi there and it would be convenient to go for adjustments...thanks for your help.Rosie

Quote Originally Posted by rosie View Post
    Hi Mike...I am waiting for Costco's be resound for my right ear...I can't afford 2 right now...I would love to know of some aids that are better for this loss...I have learned that BTE with custom molds are better...I had Cielo 2's and couldn't get used to them...then I lost them..I was okay with the BTE's just heard too much other stuff...I teach kindergarten and I had them in and out all day long...any input from you would be appreciated...
    RightHL/LeftHL
    500-60/60
    1000-55/60
    2000-45/40
    3000-40/20
    4000-25/15
    8000-20/20
    I have 90 days to try costco's and I do like the audi there and it would be convenient to go for adjustments...thanks for your help.Rosie
    Hi Rosie,

While you're waiting for Mike's reply, I thought that I could offer some advice, if I may. I am a dispenser as well.

I have a couple of questions for you about your previous experience. You mentioned that you had Cielo 2s. Were those the "life" version with open, closed, or custom tips? Or, were they the standard BTE with controls that you could adjust yourself?

Also, a Be by Resound may not be the best thing for you. You have a low tone hearing loss and an open canal hearing aid may not be the best thing for you. By closing your ear canal, you can get more of that low tone hearing that you need. There are also no manual controls on that aid. Manual controls like a push button can help.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder View Post
    -NO wireless Streaming
    -NO Large bandwith

So when the IRIS wireless streaming is released this fall, you guys will have to pick on Starkey for something else

I've listened and played with both the Alera from Resound and IRIS from Starkey - Starkey wins hands down. And less time delay than Phonak and Oticon products.......

dr. amy

9. Default cielo 2's vs. be resound

Hey Mike...My cielo 2's were BTE where I could control the volume and button for program myself, which I felt I needed (and used a lot along with taking them in and out if things got too noisy)...the BE resound are custom in the canal and have more venting...the remote mic hopefully reduces some noise...I have 90 days and since I have been on here have learned a great deal...I like the audi at Costco...he is patient and laid back and with this type of loss a patient audi is crucial as I know I will be back and forth for adjustments (hopefully not)...I have a list of other aids that have been mentioned on here to try if this doesn't work...big question: with all this digital wonderful technology, why can't some smart engineer devise an aid to fit our loss and not just loss for the high tones? Thanks for any input Mike! Rosie

10. Default

Mike , I got a problem with my Naida, maybe You can help me.
    I'm not going to my Audiologist, he's bad ..can't fitting good but always don't like if I complaint.I'm working at bar restaurant, so noisy place and if peoples talking with me I really can't understand what they talking about, and I wear this Naida already 3 years, I just keep going because my frustated with my Audist. I'm living at Atlanta , if somebody knows Phonak rep ,please give me information...thank's.