Thread: GN Resound Alera vs Oticon Dual V

Default GN Resound Alera vs Oticon Dual V

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I am here to find out what's your opinion on these two devices. I have been wearing Oticon Delta, it has help me tremendously through school for four years. Now it's time for an upgrade.

My audi gave me two choices and I don't know which one I should get. I personally go with the Alera because I do not have to wear the streamer around my neck, however the Alera hearing aids is slightly bigger than the Dual V. I might have to trial these devices to see how I like it.

If you favor one of these items, please state why. Thank you very much for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by htrit View Post
    Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I am here to find out what's your opinion on these two devices. I have been wearing Oticon Delta, it has help me tremendously through school for four years. Now it's time for an upgrade.

My audi gave me two choices and I don't know which one I should get. I personally go with the Alera because I do not have to wear the streamer around my neck, however the Alera hearing aids is slightly bigger than the Dual V. I might have to trial these devices to see how I like it.

If you favor one of these items, please state why. Thank you very much for your time.
    In terms of sound they seem to be @ par. But alera has no need for streamer around the neck BIG PLUS. What about the costs?

The ballpark is 3-5g. Is there anyone favor in Alera? So far I searched this site but have not seen lot of positive reviews. Your comments are appreciated. Thank you again!

Default Too new

You haven't seen a lot of positive (or negative, either, I'm guessing) reviews because the Alera just came out. Give it a month or so and you'll see some user reviews.

There's a lot of interest in the Alera because of the Bluetooth feature that doesn't require an around-the-neck accessory. In another thread, though, people complain that there's still a small degree of lag common to other Bluetooth aids. I want to try the Alera, but I think the lag will bother me when watching TV and film, especially when viewing TV or film with others who are not using aids and so sound comes through both in real-time and with lag.

ReSound also markets the Alera as having an enhanced "surround sound" that enables users to localize sounds in the surround field, but this "sounds" like marketing hype to me. (How does it perform differently than other digital aids?) Still worth a test trial to see how it works.
    Last edited by hamjor; 08-19-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hamjor View Post
    ReSound also markets the Alera as having an enhanced "surround sound" that enables users to localize sounds in the surround field, but this "sounds" like marketing hype to me. (How does it perform differently than other digital aids?) Still worth a test trial to see how it works.
    I wear ReSound Live 9's, and can tell you that it's not just marketing hype. One ear is set as the monitor ear and the other as the focus ear with regard to the mic directionality, and I can hear all around me and can determine the location of sounds better than with my previous aids, which were ReSound Pulse's.

htrit,

Have you been given a cost quote for the Aleras? I'd love to know.
    Audiogram:
    ------------L R
    0250-----10 10
    0500-----10 10
    0750-----55 65
    1000-----60 65
    2000-----50 60
    3000-----45 50
    4000-----35 45
    6000-----35 50
    8000-----35 55

My speech comprehension is much better in my left ear where it is 88 %. In right ear it is 68%.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
    I wear ReSound Live 9's, and can tell you that it's not just marketing hype. One ear is set as the monitor ear and the other as the focus ear with regard to the mic directionality, and I can hear all around me and can determine the location of sounds better than with my previous aids, which were ReSound Pulse's.
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks. I may try a pair soon.

I like to see some reviews...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hamjor View Post
    I think the lag will bother me when watching TV and film, especially when viewing TV or film with others who are not using aids and so sound comes through both in real-time and with lag.
    Lag should not be an issue with Alera – at least that is one of the marketing claims. The reason is that Alera uses 2.4gHz – the highest frequency wireless option of any hearing aid AFAIK. Next up is Starkey around 900MHz.. also touting little to no delay. Admin echo’s the no delay in this thread: http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=6605 .fficeffice" />>>
    There are of course pros and con’s to each system and the frequency range choice. Having seen the demonstrations first hand, I can say that I personally did not notice much or any lag in either system (Starkey or Alera).. but your experience may vary of course J. >>

10. Default GN REsound Live 9 with push Button LV 50-D

I have 2 new Gn Resound Live 9 with push button and volume control; they are very clear sound , But not enough Volume, and does not Adjust to different enviroments, Is there a possibility the Audiologist did not turn on this setting ?