Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Aids for Audiophile?

Default Hearing Aids for Audiophile?

I'm an audiophile freak, and very much in love in music. I have been using hearing aids for few years now. The first hearing aids I used was Siemens Acuris. I wasn't happy about it since the sound was too loud and unnatural. Occlusions was also a big problem. I never really got used to it.

Then I bought Acuris Life, and VERY HAPPY with the technology. I have been enjoying my music ever since then. Now that my Acuris Life has served me well for 2 years, I'm looking to upgrade my hearing aids again.

Could Anybody suggest the greatest hearing aids in the world that may enhance my music enjoyment even more? Price is not a concerned at this point.

Thank you in advance,

My system at home:
    Last edited by jlingo; 03-02-2007 at 04:53 AM.

Default Wow! You are not kidding!!!!

Probably the very best open fit would be the Savia Art with receiver in the ear design.

If you have a low freq loss also, then the Micro Power IX may be a great choice also.

Another would be the Sonic Innovations Balance Open fit, which are tiny and work very well.

Wow, the pictures says it all. You are an audiophile.

Starkey just released a new open fit hearing aid with some amazing technology in it based on their Destiny technology. It is so new I forget what the name is, but a Starkey dealer would know. The core technology is about 10 months old, but they have just launched a micro OTE open fit version of it.

I know you audiophiles like a source direct kind of sound where no potentiometers like bass, treble and graphic equalizers are used. But if you have a loss maybe there is some kind of graphic equalizer you could purchase that would allow you to increase the frequencies where you audiogram shows the greatest losses. This way you could enjoy your music without hearing aids.

Keep in mind that all hearing aids are primarily designed with speech amplification in mind, rather than music.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT

Starkey just released a new open fit hearing aid with some amazing technology in it based on their Destiny technology. It is so new I forget what the name is, but a Starkey dealer would know. The core technology is about 10 months old, but they have just launched a micro OTE open fit version of it.

Keep in mind that all hearing aids are primarily designed with speech amplification in mind, rather than music.
    Yes I understand that hearing aids are primarily designed with speech amplification in mind. Some hearing aids offer few options where you could switch in between using a remote control, don't they?

I will try to read up on Savia Art, Micro Power IX, Sonic Innovations Balance.

Thank you all for the recommendation.

I know you audiophiles like a source direct kind of sound where no potentiometers like bass, treble and graphic equalizers are used. But if you have a loss maybe there is some kind of graphic equalizer you could purchase that would allow you to increase the frequencies where you audiogram shows the greatest losses. This way you could enjoy your music without hearing aids.

I think it's nFusion By Starkey

Quote Originally Posted by jlingo
    I think it's nFusion By Starkey
    Yes the core technology is called nFusion by Starkey, but they have just fitted it into a tiny little OTE with an open fit. What I didn't know was the specific model name for that new creation, as it was only launched last month with the latest software release.

http://www.starkeynfusion.com/destin...solutions.html

I just looked it up, and they have the new products on there. Seems they are continuing to use the Destiny name for it.

Yes I understand that hearing aids are primarily designed with speech amplification in mind. Some hearing aids offer few options where you could switch in between using a remote control, don't they?

Thank you all for the recommendation.
    I am not a huge fan of remote control aids. In fact many companies are phasing them out because people didn't like to carry a remote with them wherever they went.

Some hearing aids have a multi memory button on them where you can access different sound programs. Many of the top of the line hearing instruments have a music program that turns off a lot of the electronic gadgetry designed to enhance speech and opens up the dynamic range to be better with music. Such programs often turn off background noise management, compression, and other features to make music far more pleasant.

Good luck. And once again, compliments on your beautiful sound system.

I am not a huge fan of remote control aids. In fact many companies are phasing them out because people didn't like to carry a remote with them wherever they went.

Some hearing aids have a multi memory button on them where you can access different sound programs. Many of the top of the line hearing instruments have a music program that turns off a lot of the electronic gadgetry designed to enhance speech and opens up the dynamic range to be better with music. Such programs often turn off background noise management, compression, and other features to make music far more pleasant.

Good luck. And once again, compliments on your beautiful sound system.
    Thank you ZCT,
    I actually stopped listening for at least 5 years due to hearing loss. Until I found Acuris Life, and I felt like a new man again.

I have been reading the specs for Starkey Destiny, Phonak Savia Art. Open Design Savia Art seems to have 20 Channels. Sonic Innovation Balance is with 16 Channels, and worst yet Starkey Destiny 1200 with only 8 Channels. Since Balance and Destiny have less channels than the Acuris Life, would it be safe to conclude that Destiny 1200 is the most inferior of all in terms of sound quality?
    Last edited by jlingo; 03-04-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    Probably the very best open fit would be the Savia Art with receiver in the ear design.

If you have a low freq loss also, then the Micro Power IX may be a great choice also.

Another would be the Sonic Innovations Balance Open fit, which are tiny and work very well.
    Hi
    I noticed that SAVIA ART released in October 2006
    I find Savia ART Specs and Features very impressive. Best of all I think. I'm looking forward to try Savia ART.
    Last edited by jlingo; 03-04-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Thank you ZCT,
    Since Balance and Destiny have less channels than the Acuris Life, would it be safe to conclude that Destiny 1200 is the most inferior of all in terms of sound quality?
    I don't think that is a safe conclusion at all. There is more to hearing than how many bands or channels a hearing aid has. Your analogy would be like saying, my friends' stereo has eight speakers, but mine has twelve, so it's much better.

There are many other important factors about hearing aid sound quality which would include sample rate and true independence between bands and channels. I've seen some hearing aids with a large number of channels, but when you adjust one channel the two adjacent channels adjust too. So true independence is an important factor, along with the specific parameters that can be adjusted for each channel.

But if you are really into channels, there is another Destiny coming out this summer with some more channels, and another one due out next year.