Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on Unitron hearing aids?

Default Any opinions on Unitron hearing aids?

Hello from a new subscriber.

Does anyone here have an opinion about Unitron hearing aids? I am looking for a bicros aid to replace my analog Starkey, which has been very good for almost 10 years - but I think I need more power.

About two years ago, someone (maybe in this Forum) recommended Unitron, but they did not have an ITE bicors aid at that time. Now, the Unitron web site says they do, but I don't know if people who know someting about hearing aids still think Unitron makes a good instrument.

I strongly want to stay with ITE, at least on the completely deaf side, since it allows me to use any ordinary telephone without feedback and without having a special phone with an amplifier. Wireless or wired is irrelevant - I just want to hear speech more clearly, in noisy settings.

Thanks in advance for any information or opinions!

Regards,
    Andrew

2. Default BiCros Aids

You are probably on the right track looking at the Unitrons, which is a subsidiary of Phonak. As I understand it, Phonak bought the Bicros division of Telex, which was the largest player in the BiCros segment.

So with the technology of both Phonak/Unitron and Telex together, they are able to creat better products and better support.

The other choice is Starkey, yet they have no new hearing aids in the Bicros side of things.

Just for those that are not familiar, Bicros hearing aids are hearing aids that pick up the sound from one ear and send the sound to the other ear, for people with an ear that is not suitable for a hearing aid or in cases where the hearing is perfect in one ear and poor in another.

Default Thank you!

Kat,

Thanks! I did not know the business side of things so your knowledge is welcome.

I've read or been told good things about Unitron, but it was some time ago. Another person told me he is really happy with an Oticon Synchro (may have spelled it wrong) - but he does not use a bicross. So, I'm in the right place to be asking questions about what brand to look at.

For those not familiar with bicros, you are exactly right, the bicros is for people with little or no hearing on one side. That side gets just a microphone, which feeds the amplifier at the ear with some hearing left. No idea where the sound came from, but at least you hear it. Going to lunch with co-workers becomes possible again; with the bicros aid, the guy on my left side does not "vanish" as he would with only an aid on my "good" side.

The wire from the mic to the amp can be troublesome, but it is worth it. The new ones say they are WiFi wireless, but it just needs to work, with or without the wire.

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Andrew

Default BiCros

Andrew:

Thanks for posting the question.

I would agree with Kat that you are looking in the right direction. The Oticon Syncro and other instruments are very good for many users, yet your needs are more unique.

If you have single sided deafness, the other option is the BAHA or bone anchored hearing aid, provided your hearing ear is at a 60 db loss or less (bone score).

That may be another great option for you.

When you do get another set of Bicros, please post and let us know what you got and how they are working for you, as even though I have dispensed thousands of hearing aids, I really have very seldom fit a Bicros.

Thanks.

Admin wrote: "If you have single sided deafness, the other option is the BAHA or bone anchored hearing aid, provided your hearing ear is at a 60 db loss or less (bone score)."

Thanks for the information and encouragement!

I need to look into BAHA and find out what it is; if it is different from a bone-conduction type aid.

My loss is complete on one side, significant on the other (but I don't have the audiogram right here, to try and quantify it). Had stapes surgery bilaterally for otoscherosis, one side worked ok (not that great anymore, it was 20 years ago); the other side went totally dead (Dr. told me the wire slipped and "killed" the cochlea).

I will post observations once I get the new rig, but am in early stages of exploration right now. The cost is significant and the learning curve, getting used to a new aid, is daunting.

Thanks again, I will be checking back in (reading) regularly.

Regards,
    Andrew

Default Baha

Baha's work on bone conduction, yet are anchored to the skull and the sound quality is much better than bone conduction hearing aids.

Might be a great option for you to place the BAHA on the dead ear and the sound gets sent to the good inner ear or cochlea on the better ear.

Default Great post about Bi-Cross and BAHA options

Wink Jeanne

Perhaps Unitron has improved in the last 10-15 years (as most have) but I've used Oticon, Unitron, Bernafon, (& Miracle Ear) and my experience is that Oticon is the best for me. I've tried Starkey and it didn't compare. My audi is disappointed I believe, because he was sure the Destiny's would work, but they didn't. I'm going back to Oticon; really do not like it when audi's push a certain brand. That seems to be for their benefit, not that of the patient.

Post Question to Admin

Would you please tell me the essential difference between Oticon DM and Oticon XP hearing aids? I realize one is digital, the other not, but as to which might be better in a given situation - please comment. Also how much difference can be expected in the price of each one? Thank you. Jeanne

Jeanne,

Thanks for your input on Unitron.

Although it has been months, I'm still gathering information (and running my old Starkey). It is not that I'm cheap (although I am), it is just that with all the different models from all the different companies, picking an aid is very confusing. Since it is a choice a person has to live with for a number of years, it is wise to choose carefully.

Thanks again - I'll continue reading and asking about hearing aids and eventually have to choose, when this one quits for good.

Regards,
    Andrew