Thread: waterproof pouches for hearing aids

Default waterproof pouches for hearing aids

Greetings. Some of you are about to be scandalized, hold tight. I'm planning a trip to the Yucatan where I'll be in and out of the water a lot for two weeks. What to do with my BTE Oticons? I could leave them in my hotel, and have trouble communicating all day. So I'm wondering if anyone has dared to put them in one of those Aquapaks or similar supposedly waterproof pouches and taken them in the water with you?

Default Cases

I have a cheap plastic water resistant case that I put my HAs in when I am out in the rain. It is not submersible, but has kept the water off of them. I would be willing to put it in an Aquapac for swimming. The plastic case would protect them from damage and the Aquapac would protect them from being submerged.

The Auqapac would need to be one of their level 3 packs. Withstands submersions of 15ft (5m) for at least 30 minutes. Suitable for swimming and snorkelling. Not designed for submersion beyond 15ft (5m).

You might also want to check with your homeowners insurance about a personal articles policy. It is a separate policy from you home insurance that would cover your HAs if they got wet, broken or stolen. It usually costs less then $100 per year and has no deductable. Then you would be covered even if the waterproofing failed.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Hz....250..500..750..1k...2k...3k...4k....6k....8k
    Right..15....20....30....50...60...90...110...105. .105
    Left....20....25....45...70....80...95..100...105. .100

Current HAs: Phonak Naida IX with iCom
    Former HAs: Siemens Music Pro

I am assuming you will have other items with you [towel, glasses? etc] so why not put them in a sealed pack with those items?? Do you have a Dry and Store??? When you get back to your hotel for the night, that should dry the moisture out.
    Have fun in the Yucatan. Will you be in caves or ocean??

Thanks for your replies. I'll be on the beach in Cancun for 6 days, and then visiting a few cenotes in inland Yucatan, and maybe even a day kayaking in Celestn. Suppose I will have towel and glasses with me, but I'm not as concerned about losing those, and expect I'll just leave them on a rock somewhere. Not a homeowner, and no insurance plan to tag onto. My aids are my most valuable possession!

I live in California so never thought I needed it, but I just ordered a Dry & Store, prompted by this trip. I had a brief email exchange with someone at Aquapac. I asked about double bagging, and they offered me a 10% discount. I'm thinking I'll probably go that route. Though perhaps a cheap water resistant case inside one of their bags would make sense. Where did you get yours lawgrace?

I use a Pelican 1010 case that I got it from Fry’s Electronics, but it is available at other sporting good and diving stores. One thing I like about it is that it has built in pressure regulation and it is a little bit breathable while still being water resistant. I do usually keep a desiccant pack in it though to keep moisture at bay. It is also hard and very protective. It will just hold my Phonak Naida IXs, iCom and MyPilot.

Here is a link to the manufacture’s web page and some pictures…
    http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1010

You can also get a "Pick n Pluck" foam insert from them if you want to make it custom fit you HAs and be even more protective...
    http://www.pelican.com/case_accessory_detail.php?ID=2

Pelican1010.JPG

1010_Loaded.JPG

1010_No_MyPilot.JPG
    Last edited by lawgrace; 11-11-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added "Pick n Pluck" link
    ------------------------------------------------------

Hz....250..500..750..1k...2k...3k...4k....6k....8k
    Right..15....20....30....50...60...90...110...105. .105
    Left....20....25....45...70....80...95..100...105. .100

Current HAs: Phonak Naida IX with iCom
    Former HAs: Siemens Music Pro

Thanks! That looks like a great case for rugged activities...but too big and heavy to fit comfortably inside an aquapac pouch that I wear while snorkeling. I've decided for this activity to double bag with Aquapacs. I'll let y'all know how it worked out!