Thread: siemens acuris vs oticon agil pro

Default siemens acuris vs oticon agil pro

I've been using siemens acuris life for 4 years now, but am not able to hear at movies, plays. Gatherings are hard, even small gatherings. And,unless restaurants are very quiet, I can't make out much of what is said if there are more than 3 people. So I responded to a promotional ad from a different audiologist last week, had a new hearing test, and am intrigued by the description of the oticon agil pro (and the bluetooth features). The 6400.00 price with bluetooth tv adapter and streamer is going to be painful. I'm being fitted in a week, and there is a 75 day trial, but really will have to decide within three weeks if I'm going to be able to use my insurance's 500.00 reimbursement to me, because that feature of the policy doesn't continue in 2011. The benefit over my Siemens Acuris Life would have to be significant. I told the audiologist that the chances weren't better than 50/50 that the added hearing benefit would make it worth my keeping them. He suggested that 70/30 in favor of sufficient benefit was more like it. Any opinions about the likelihood of major benefit? Any other recommendations? (for what it's worth, there is no Costco for hundreds of miles, so that resource is out)

My audiogram last week looks like:
    hZ ... R .. L
    250... 35 .. 45 db
    500 .. 30 ..40
    1000.. 45..50
    1500.. 50.. 60
    2000.. 50.. 65
    3000 .. 50..75
    4000... 80.. 80
    5000... 85.. 90
    8000... 90.. 80

Speech R srt 35 R MCL 70
    L srt 55 l MCL 70
    (I have no idea what SRT and MCL figures signify)

Many thanks for your assistance.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim44Maine; 11-14-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: readability

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44Maine View Post
    I've been using siemens acuris life for 4 years now, but am not able to hear at movies, plays. Gatherings are hard, even small gatherings. And,unless restaurants are very quiet, I can't make out much of what is said if there are more than 3 people. So I responded to a promotional ad from a different audiologist last week, had a new hearing test, and am intrigued by the description of the oticon agil pro (and the bluetooth features). The 6400.00 price with bluetooth tv adapter and streamer is going to be painful. I'm being fitted in a week, and there is a 75 day trial, but really will have to decide within three weeks if I'm going to be able to use my insurance's 500.00 reimbursement to me, because that feature of the policy doesn't continue in 2011. The benefit over my Siemens Acuris Life would have to be significant. I told the audiologist that the chances weren't better than 50/50 that the added hearing benefit would make it worth my keeping them. He suggested that 70/30 in favor of sufficient benefit was more like it. Any opinions about the likelihood of major benefit? Any other recommendations? (for what it's worth, there is no Costco for hundreds of miles, so that resource is out)

My audiogram last week looks like:
    hZ ... R .. L
    250... 35 .. 45 db
    500 .. 30 ..40
    1000.. 45..50
    1500.. 50.. 60
    2000.. 50.. 65
    3000 .. 50..75
    4000... 80.. 80
    5000... 85.. 90
    8000... 90.. 80

Speech R srt 35 R MCL 70
    L srt 55 l MCL 70
    (I have no idea what SRT and MCL figures signify)

Many thanks for your assistance.

Jim
    The difference should be signinficant as they are several generations apart. On top op that the Acuris was a failed product as far as I remember and actually taken off the market within 12 or so months of release.

Make sure you have a chance of money back and thus no risk to yourself. The Agil is not the only good product out there. Try a few and see if you could try a Phonak Audeo S SMart IX as well as this is the latest top end device.
    Audiologist in Private practice on the Gold Coast, Australia with a clinics in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney and Chatswood as well.

I have only tested the Agil Pro's for a short time, but the difference for me was significant, enough so that I am buying them in January, along with the TV and Phone connecters.

Right off the bat the way I could hear people's conversations was amazing. I was way down a hallway and could hear people talking quite a distance from me, and it was clear! It makes normal conversation so much better and easier. Not just that, but I heard music differently then with my old hearing aids, Oticon Syncro's.

The way you can plug in to an MP3 player is great. I was worried they would not be loud enough, or the music would be distorted, but it sounds perfect.

Yeah, I recommend them, and when I get them in January and have used them for a while I will write up more about my feelings on them.

Default Oticon Agil Pro Mini

I just received my Agil Pros yesterday . I have never worn HA's before so I have nothing to compare them to, other than the few others I tried out at the store. I can say that they work perfectly as advertised, the streamer connected to my iPhone without a hitch, there is no feedback, they are barely noticeable and very comfortable. I have a 45 day trial period so I will have to write more after I've used them for a while. I went with the Agil's because my audiologist recommended (and wears) them. Also they were one of the brands covered by my EPIC plan. I tried out several different brands at the store and did a lot of searching on the web, The few that I tried out and did some research on are The Costco Kirkland signature model: a very affordable Seimens Pure 301-501-701? that has bluetooth but is based on a chip that is several years old and is basically a low end unit. Widex is lagging behind in the bluetooth options but has very good voice recognition technology. Starkey has high end units that are comparable to the Agil pros and are aggressive in developing new technology. My Dad lives in Eden Prairie MN and does trials for them, and they are working on some exciting new stuff. It's all very expensive ad confusing, the manufacturer's websites are little help and the forums are hit and miss. There is a lot of misleading BS out there! I found this forum to be the best resource for accurate, unbiased information and I really have to thank all the people who post here.