Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way I take care of my aids......

Exclamation The way I take care of my aids......

OK, it is nearly three months since I started wearing these magnificent things!

As for daily maintenance, here is what works for me.

Before I insert my aids, I carefully clean my ear out with a Q-Tip. There are differing opinions on this, some say it builds up wax deep inside by pushing what wax there is in further with the rounded end, I can just picture a kind of ridge of wax build up that could occur deeply in the ear canal. Fortunately, for me, I don't produce much ear wax, so that, for me, is not an issue. Nothing should be inserted into the ear canal unless a physician states that what you are doing is OK.

I have a photographer's Lupe (like a jeweler might use to look closely at a gem or a photographer uses to look at fine detail).

I carefully remove the silicone dome and use the lupe (with good lighting) to look down in the receiver opening where there is a small white insert and six very tiny holes. That white insert is the wax shield which serves to keep ear wax out of the receiver. Typically, like right now, I can see just a bit of wax on the upper edge of the receiver, but none down inside that white insert. I have a small black brush with short, firm black bristles on one end (about 1/4" long) and longer bristles on the other end (about 1/2" to 5/8" long, or about twice as long as the short bristles). I think this brush came with the HA's.

I take that brush and, for this tiny fleck of wax on the upper edge, I will use the short bristles to clean off that little piece. While I have the lupe to my eye (holding it in my right hand and holding the hearing aid in my left hand), I scrutinize the wire extending to the receiver and also the little 'keeper-loop' that is hanging out the other side of the receiver. If there are any wax particles on those wires, or where those wires meet the receiver, I will carefully wipe the wax off the wires with my thumb and index finger and use the short bristles to wipe any wax away that is visible in the tiny cracks and crevices where the wires meet (enter) the receiver. The grooves around the circumference of the receiver (which serve to secure the dome in place) may get some wax in them and I may see a bit of wax on the outer cylinder of the receiver itself - which you may not even see unless you are using a lupe!

I then move onto the open dome. Usually, that is where most of my wax ends up. I carefully brush the dome all different directions, being sure to wipe clean the inner portion that sets onto the outer portion of receiver. When I look at the dome through the lupe, I can see extremely tiny wax droplets around the different portions of dome. I use the short bristles to wipe away the tiny droplets from the flat surfaces and from the entrance to the opening where most of the wax will be. The one I am looking at through the lupe right now has wax that is almost covering three of the six small holes in the dome outer opening. When I look at the three petals that form the dome and the perimeter which is attached to the three petals, I can see bits of wax, here and there.

I carefully wipe off the wax using both the short and long bristles, gently, by kind of brushing off the wax (kind of flicking the wax off the dome). I use both the shorter and the longer bristles to get the wax out of the interior of the opening where the dome fits snugly over the cylinder of the receiver.

Once I am certain that I have removed all wax and that there are no holes covered with wax or wax flakes, I carefully insert the dome back onto the receiver.

There, I have cleaned my hearing aid, now I need to do the other one in the exact same manner. This might take about 5-10 minutes, and you will get quicker at it, once you know where to look and which ends of the brush work best, where.

When the dome gets to the point where it is turning a yellowish color and/or when the dome does not feel like it attaches snugly to the receiver or when the dome gets kind of out of shape (like the one in this picture), I then replace the domes. The domes seem to last between four to six weeks.
    Last edited by Renovator; 01-23-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    250 500 750..1k..1.5k..2k..3k..4k..5k..6k
    L.0....5....10....10...15...65..65..65..60..50
    R.5....5....10....10...15...30..75..75..60..50
    SRT=15 15; Audiometry 92% 80%
    10/22/10 - First HA's, excellent results with (L&R) Oticon Hit Pro (BTE), RITE with Standard Speakers & 10mm Open Domes
    <*)))><

2. Default

thanks for that info--as may be very helpful.

I have recently trialed oticon agil pro.But had no real info in detail of cleaning--except brush domes lightly.

thank you for info
    quik scan 2013

L 30 0252 R 30
    40 0500 30
    60 1000 60
    60 2000 58
    60 4000 68
    65 8000 77

You are quite welcome!
    They do give you this tiny long white brush that is like a spiraled wire with short white bristles. It comes on the little pull-apart screwdriver on one end and little magnet to pull the battery on the other end.

That long thin white brush is absolutely worth nothing for the RITE's as far as I can see. I think if you tried to use that particular brush, you would risk ruining something.

I suppose if someone has an earmold, that white brush may clean out the hole(s) in the mold, I don't know though, as I never saw a mold up close. Someone else would have to come here and comment on that white brush in relation to earmolds.

4. Default Storage

Sounds like your a pro at this from the long post ;-)

What do you do for nightly storage? Any exact product recommendations? I'm getting my first pair of HA tomorrow and I want to do everything I can to ensure they are a well taken care of.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Renovator View Post
    When the dome gets to the point where it is turning a yellowish color and/or when the dome does not feel like it attaches snugly to the receiver or when the dome gets kind of out of shape (like the one in this picture), I then replace the domes. The domes seem to last between four to six weeks.
    Good stuff, Im so happy to hear when people take good care of their aids, it can make a big difference saving you time, money and keep you hearing better. On top of that, it doesn't have to take long.

The later point you mention regarding domes is important. The colour is less important, its medical grade silicon but still slightly porous so it gets impregnated with some oil from your skin. Its still hygenic to use so long as your cleaning it so don't base things soles on colour. If the dome gets too dirty (even if thats just oil build up where it slips on the receiver) or misshaped it runs an increased risk of coming off, thats when its tiem to swap out. I usually recommend changing the filter (no wax in this case) any time you change the dome. They seem to last vastly different amounts of time from one person to the next too so you'll have to find what works for you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NayTatas View Post
    Sounds like your a pro at this from the long post ;-)

What do you do for nightly storage? Any exact product recommendations? I'm getting my first pair of HA tomorrow and I want to do everything I can to ensure they are a well taken care of.
    Actually, no (I'm not a pro).
    Last October 22 was the first time I ever had hearing aids. I am very proficient at giving detailed instructions about certain things. People tell me I would make a great teacher. At 54, I really don't want to go back to school, however, I suppose I could teach something in some environments without having to have a license or be registered by the state.

At night, I either put them both in the top dresser drawer (front corner) or I carefully put them into the white & black hard plastic case they came in. I have not worn them yet in extremely sweaty conditions, but if I did, I think I would leave them out somewhere (where my two cats would not get at them!).

Thank you for the compliment!
    Last edited by Renovator; 02-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    10/22/10 - First HA's, excellent results with (L&R) Oticon Hit Pro (BTE), RITE with Standard Speakers & 10mm Open Domes
    <*)))><

My son stores his HA in a dessicant container at night. It was less than $10. Put out by Seimans I believe, it's called Stay Dri.

That is an excellent idea!
    It only makes sense that it would definately keep them dry. I would think moisture would be one of the 'killers' - especially when one considers days, weeks, months and years that they are being worn!
    <*)))><

9. Default

Good instincts. Cats will def play with and chew on hearing aids. Jar is the best place to keep them at night, esp if there is a drying agent in it. Part of a good routine to prevent loss and damage of the aids.

As for sweat, hearing aids are getting better at moisture protection and they are designed for daily wear so I say wear them unless you KNOW your getting wet (ie before the log ride or a golf game on a rainy day).

10. Default

I shall check into those dessicant containers. The good thing is, it really doesn't need to be very big as the aids really take up very little room!

They are just a little awkward at first, when you are not used to handling them, with the wires and RITE's that all look so delicate!
    <*)))><