Thread: Phonak Ambra - Just One

Default Phonak Ambra - Just One

New member here.

My audiologist has recently recommended Phonak's Ambra model (BTE/SP) for my "good" ear. I had previously worn Phonak Maxx 311's in both ears. My "bad" ear is now a candidate for a cochlear implant.

I have searched and reviewed the many posts on this board. I haven't found too much about the Ambra. What I have seen, and what I reviewed in the data sheet, is that some of the functions of the ambra seem to rely on 2 aids. Obviously this won't be possible for me. Also, with the multiple program settings for the Ambra, I'm wondering if it is "too much" for just one aid. I trust my audie and have no reason not believe her. I'm also considering the ICOM and TV Link. Not sure about the remote control.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    New member here.

My audiologist has recently recommended Phonak's Ambra model (BTE/SP) for my "good" ear. I had previously worn Phonak Maxx 311's in both ears. My "bad" ear is now a candidate for a cochlear implant.

I have searched and reviewed the many posts on this board. I haven't found too much about the Ambra. What I have seen, and what I reviewed in the data sheet, is that some of the functions of the ambra seem to rely on 2 aids. Obviously this won't be possible for me. Also, with the multiple program settings for the Ambra, I'm wondering if it is "too much" for just one aid. I trust my audie and have no reason not believe her. I'm also considering the ICOM and TV Link. Not sure about the remote control.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerry
    Have a search under Spice. It's a good aid, but you'll lose the stereo functionality.
    Last edited by Um bongo; 01-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have a pair of Ambras. They have all the bells and whistles. A single aid would have all of its audio capabilities, but would not share program setting, volume, source location, etc. All of the sound treatment would remain IMHO.

You should concentrate on the sound "conditioning" features and think about their utility to you in your day to day life.

TerryB
    Freq Right Left
    250 10 10
    500 15 5
    750 15 20
    1000 15 40
    1500 30 55
    2000 45 65
    3000 55 70
    4000 60 75
    6000 50 60
    8000 50 65

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    I have a pair of Ambras. They have all the bells and whistles. A single aid would have all of its audio capabilities, but would not share program setting, volume, source location, etc. All of the sound treatment would remain IMHO.

You should concentrate on the sound "conditioning" features and think about their utility to you in your day to day life.

TerryB
    I'm afraid it wouldn't. You'd lose stereozoom and autozoom functions. Any process that utilises the binaural processing for noise, feedback or speech management would be gone too.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    I'm afraid it wouldn't. You'd lose stereozoom and autozoom functions. Any process that utilises the binaural processing for noise, feedback or speech management would be gone too.
    Bongo is right. Here is the response I received from Phonak's customer service:

"Thank you for visiting the Phonak website and for your inquiry.

The following features require two hearing aids:
    StereoZoom
    ZoomControl
    AutoZoomControl
    DuoPhone
    QuickSync
    "

With that being said, my question is whether it is worth it to purchase the top-of-the-line Ambra for one ear, or go with a lower model, one that at leasts connects to ICOM.

Kerry

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Bongo is right. Here is the response I received from
    With that being said, my question is whether it is worth it to purchase the top-of-the-line Ambra for one ear, or go with a lower model, one that at leasts connects to ICOM.

Kerry
    I had the exact same question about a month ago when I was getting my first HA ever. There are two main points that will help make the decision for you.

Point 1... How much of the cost does your insurance cover? If you have the pay the extra out of pocket then it might not make sense to get more than you need. I was lucky that my insurance covers up to $5k a year, so I got the Smart S IX because it has the top of the line features and processor that will give my one aid the best sound I can currently get. Plus some influence from point 2.

Point 2... What are the chances that you will need an aid for the other ear sometime in the next 3 years? Figure there will be new aids on the market every couple of years, and the normal warranty for the better aids is 3 years. If you might eventually get the benefit of matched aids then it might be worth the extra cash now. If you should never need a second aid, or if the chances are that it will be a longer time before you need a second one, then you can assume you will never get to use those features. If you end up with a second aid in 5 years then chances are you would just get two of them with the latest tech out at that time.

In my case it was $250 out of pocket if I got aids costing $1000 or $5000. Due to some of my hobbies and work environment there is a small chance I will need a second aid, and even just with my insurance coverage I might get a second aid for my good ear set to no amplification just to get all the features for my bad ear. If my insurance only paid 90% so that it was more out of pocket or if they only covered $5000 once ever three years then I probably would have gotten a lower model.

Good luck deciding, and good luck on getting back to hearing life.

Rick