Thread: Oticon Delta 8000 compared to???

Default Oticon Delta 8000 compared to???

Hi,

I haven't been back to this forum for a number of years. So I've spend some time catching up.

I need some help. I've been wearing the Oticon Deltas 8000 for the past five years. Although my audiogram hasn't changed, I've been having more and more trouble distinguishing speech with them.

Fast forward. I lost one last month. Now I need to decide whether I simply replace the lost one or go forward and look for newer technology.

Has anyone moved from or compared the Oticon Delta 8000 to something else?

(My aids were provided for my by the Bureau of Rehabilitation. But since according to my audiogram, my hearing has not gotten worse, I'm not eligible for a new pair or a replacement. ) So now I'm grappling with the notion of money. Would it be worth my while to start fresh. If so, with what?

Have any of you purchased used hearing aids?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Left Right

250-5 250-30
    500-35 500-45
    1000-35 1000-45
    2000-40 2000-40
    4000-45 4000-40
    6000-55 6000- 50
    8000-75 8000-70

Word Recognition Right- 96 % Left-100%

Default Oticon Delta 8000 Comparison

A friend has Delta 8000's and likes them very well. So I trialed a Delta 8000 in January. (Left ear only since I have no usable hearing in the Right.) It did not work well at all for my hearing loss. Word recognition in even a slightly noisy environment was poor. Several forum members suggested an aid with newer technology might be better. I then trialed an Oticon Dual XW in February with much better results. If I were able to use a pair the Dual's might be satisfactory. I still had the "head shadow" effect with the single Dual, so my MD and my audiologist strongly recommended a bi-cros aid, so that is what I'll be trialing next.

Since my hearing loss is quite different your results may not be the same. However, if your budget allows I believe a trial with newer aids would be very worthwhile. Good luck! Vic
    0250 R/95 L/10
    0500 R/105 L/5
    1000 R/105 L/10
    2000 R/105 L/70
    3000 R/110 L/70
    4000 R/100 L/70
    8000 R/110 L/70

R/12%@100 dB
    L/100%@55 dB

3. Default

As a rule of thumb, I'd go for the newest processor you can, even if that means a mid-range product version to fit your budget.
    Newer processors tend to be faster, so features like feedback managers and others work better, and most research shows that mid range aids, well fitted, and with good support from your dispenser/sudiologist are totally satisfactory for the majority of people.
    If you can afford latest technology and the best model, then great; a bad choice would be top level but older technology. Some aids that were popular in their day seem lacklustre nowadays (but of course will still work to a reasonable degree; they just don't compare well with the latest models) and if it's been around for two years already it will likely be at least 2 generations out of date in about 12 months from purchase.
    If you loved the Deltas, maybe stick with Oticon; each manufacturer tend to have a philosophy about how instruments should work, and swapping brands can bring some serious readjustment challenges. If you weren't that enthusiastic (they were o.k. but not fabulous) by all means shop around and try others.
    GL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Specsaversdispenseruk View Post
    As a rule of thumb, I'd go for the newest processor you can, even if that means a mid-range product version to fit your budget.
    Newer processors tend to be faster, so features like feedback managers and others work better, and most research shows that mid range aids, well fitted, and with good support from your dispenser/sudiologist are totally satisfactory for the majority of people.
    If you can afford latest technology and the best model, then great; a bad choice would be top level but older technology. Some aids that were popular in their day seem lacklustre nowadays (but of course will still work to a reasonable degree; they just don't compare well with the latest models) and if it's been around for two years already it will likely be at least 2 generations out of date in about 12 months from purchase.
    If you loved the Deltas, maybe stick with Oticon; each manufacturer tend to have a philosophy about how instruments should work, and swapping brands can bring some serious readjustment challenges. If you weren't that enthusiastic (they were o.k. but not fabulous) by all means shop around and try others.
    GL :-)
    Thanks. One option I have is simply to replace the missing Delta 8000. But doing that would only be to save money. I don't/didn't love my Deltas. They were my first hearing aids and when I first got them, I was in heaven just to be able to hear again. But even with adjustments I had problems understanding people unless they faced me. Now with one hearing aid, it's really difficult.

If the top of the line would make all the difference, I'd borrow to get them. Guess I'll have to sit down with my audi. Wish they carried brands that you could try in right there. I also have to find out if you're not happy and get your $ back, do you still have to buy from them.

Last, wondering how Costco's best open fit compare to mid level brand names.